The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 1, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Topshelf Recoil Pads and Shoulder Pads

From my thread asking about 3 inch 20 gauge shells I got a couple folks getting me a little worried my fears way be well founded...

I plan to invest in some top shelf modern recoil pads for all my centerfire weapons to mitigate the risk of damaging a "power port" medi cath installed in my chest...

I have just enuff room to use the outer part of the "pocket" where we mount the butt stock...

I never cared for more than $5 rubber pad so don't know what is the best in the higher price range...

I will also buy either a vest or strap on shoulder pad (preferred due to heat) and have ZERO idea where to look for one that really soaks up recoil...

I know I may have to trim the stocks to regain acceptable fit...

So what do I need to buy???

Brent
Old September 1, 2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Dreaming100Straight

This sounds like a bad idea, but talk with your doctor about it. Sorry that you have need of the power port.
Old September 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #3
Quadpod88

i would talk to the doc, but my grandfather has a similar issue. he shoots 12guage just fine and that's with what ever ammo he chooses, i don't see why 20guage would be a problem. i reinterate...talk to the doc first
Old September 1, 2013, 02:57 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I see the doc tuesday... I told the wife I should try to get him to prescribe them and make the insurance buy them

Brent
Old September 1, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

IF you get the OK, look -at Limbsaver, Pachmayr's Decelerator, Kick-Eez for pads.

For recoil reducing systems, look at Gracoil, G Squared, JS Soft Touch or ISIS -but be warned, these systems cost more than your Mossberg -more like 4 of them

PAST makes the shoulder device
Old September 1, 2013, 03:30 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks BigD, If the doc tells me it is too risky, I will just insist on someone being with me to call for help if I screw up...

Looking into those now and am willing to get the nice pads and a shoulder contraption but already knew I wasn't gonna play with a reducer system...

Brent
Old September 1, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
g.willikers

In addition to the pad for the stock and the shoulder pad, consider adding something under the shoulder pad.
I use gel, the kind in bicycle seats and computer wrist supports.
It really helps.
Or wait for winter and wear a nice thick down vest.
Old September 1, 2013, 06:27 PM   #8
Doyle

My favorites are the Pacymayr Decelerators - mainly because the grind-to-fit ones are pretty affordable and easy to shape.
Old September 2, 2013, 10:26 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

As for the shoulder pad, unless PAST has competition, I am going with one of those...

As for recoil pads, Is one make or model recoil absorption or are they basically using a different trade name for the same foam/gel foam???

Ease to fit it to my guns is less important than max recoil mitigation...

So is one a better pillow than another?

Brent
Old September 2, 2013, 11:17 AM   #10
BigJimP

How about adding a pound of weight to the gun - to reduce recoil about 20% .... 8 oz in the forend ..and 8 oz inside the stock.

Golf stores sell "lead tape" to weight golf clubs.../ and its thin, so it works inside the foreneds on most guns pretty well. A cheap alternative on the butt stock / is to put 8 oz of pellets into a spent shell and tape it up - and position it with tape or whatever inside stock so it doesn't move fore and aft...

( or just quit shooting howitzer loads ...) ...
Old September 2, 2013, 11:37 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

BJP, I am going to do everything I can to avoid adding weights... I get tired sooner and my left shoulder took a big hit during the 40+ hits of radiation... sort of a BAD arthritis that hit all at once...

Trying to keep my weapons easy to tote and hold to shoot....

Brent
Old September 2, 2013, 01:44 PM   #12
BigJimP

Ok, but you have to go with a shell ...with less payload then.../ you have to find something with 7/8 oz ....in my opinion.

Changing the recoil pad isn't going to make that big a difference....in my opinion.
Old September 4, 2013, 07:31 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Changing the recoil pad isn't going to make that big a difference....in my opinion.
BigJimP, I wouldn't normally contradict you on the shotgun forum, but I disagree. When I added a good recoil pad to my 11-87 it seemed to drop felt recoil in half. The stock Mossberg pad is crap. With a pad on the rifle and the shoulder I can't imagine it won't make a big difference. The only problem I've had are the squishier the padding the less stable the gun while you hold. Trying to pull the gun tight into a squishy pocket is odd at first. Actually, that made me rethink it. The big difference between the slip on and the grind to fit was how stable the rifle felt. With the slip on it slipped around also. I don't think there was that much additional recoil reduction. If the slip on is insufficient BigJimP is probably right that the more expensive ones won't solve your problem either. Compared to the OEM Mossberg there will be a big difference though.

All that said, i recommend a PGO option!
Old September 4, 2013, 08:20 PM   #14
BigD_in_FL

The answer is simple, do NOT pull it so tight into your shoulder that you are squishing the pad, otherwise you are wasting your time and money for no benefit. That pad needs to be somewhat snug, but not so tight so it cannot collapse under the recoil to mitigate the felt effect
Old September 5, 2013, 12:15 AM   #15
Sarge

I've used Pachmayr Decelerators & Remington's later closed-cell pad on rifles. Both are very good and light years ahead of the old hardened red pads that typically came or were installed on rifles & shotguns. The two nicest pads I've used lately were a pre-fit Limbsaver from my old Wingmaster and the factory pad that now comes Mossberg's youth-oriented shotguns.

The Limbsaver brought about an immediately noticeable improvement on the Wingmaster and the fit, on this 1979 shotgun, was so near perfect it was amazing.

Heal up Brother. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old September 5, 2013, 08:37 AM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Doc won't endorse my intent to use my long guns... But I told him it was gonna happen

He suggested I take up handgun hunting and looked shocked when I told him I didn't have any long range or big game qualified handguns...

Going to consider the bicycle seat cover along with the pad and PAST if I need more...

I think the PAST and the pad will soak up the recoil of the 20 gauge pump with 3 inch (which I only bought for HD as I was out of buckshot) and any hot 2 3/4 loads....

The gas gun I mentioned will be a rifle... currently the one I am hoping to have is .30-06 While it is a bigger and hotter round than I need, it is my favorite rifle round if for no other reason than I learned very young about it's military use and history and "Grampa used one in Dubya Dubya Two"...

Brent
Old September 5, 2013, 10:20 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Semi-auto makes almost as big of a difference as the pads will.
Old September 5, 2013, 10:48 AM   #18
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I went really red neck and installled a LimbSaver grind-fit and a LimbSaver slip-on over it on my Rem 870 deer gun. It was great for me because the LoP is always too short and the darn thing kicked like a mule anyway. The difference was huge.
Old September 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #19
BigJimP

No big deal John, I understand your point...

Its obvious that our little buddy HogDog ...is being just a tad stubborn..??
------------
Not that I'm any smarter than the average Buffalo....but still man, when a doctor tells you its a bad idea.../ it reminds me of when I tried to move an 800 lb bandsaw by myself at home...and I tore the bicep and rotator cuff in my shooting shoulder ( not one of my smarter moves ..!! )...and the 8 month recovery from a shoulder re-build / and now I have a bicep muscle that is 50% shorter than normal, and a shoulder that is about 75% of what it used to be, even repaired....

Doctors are not always right.../ but they are not always wrong either....
------------
Ok, HogDog......( and I say this as a friend )...

a. get a gas operated gun....and the heavier the better.....and put the best aftermarket recoil pad on it you can find .....(Rem 1100 or 11-87 will work).
b. make sure the gun "fits" you .....so you're not scrunched over the gun like a "monkey trying to mate a football"...?? if you get my drift....
c. and shoot the lightest amount of shot, at the slowest velocity --- that will get the job done ! If it has to be a slug ...same thing applies...

d. and buy a single action or double action revolver ...to hunt with / something in .357 Mag or .44 Mag probably ...depending on what they heck you're hunting down there in the humid / swampy areas you play in .... / the deer down there are only about 80 lbs anyway aren't they (like a large dog )...or maybe a Hog ...or a Black Bear.../ but a .357 Mag or .44 mag are plenty for them .../ and if you can run, you only have to be faster than the slowest guy in your group ??

Being Frugal is ok ....but trying to accomplish this on the cheap / with your medical issues ....may mean we have a 'double name memorial on the forum' and that's almost as dumb as trying to move an 800 lb bandsaw by yourself 300 feet and down 3 decks..and into the shop / because I was not going to let my new saw stay outside in the rain ( even though it was covered ) until some of the adult kids got home to give me a hand. As my wife said, dumb comes in big packages...and at 6'5" and 290lbs...she's probably right ( but it was her fault - she told me not to be stupid and try it !! )....

Don't be as dumb as I was...that shoulder is still not great.../
Old September 6, 2013, 12:25 AM   #20
Dreaming100Straight

Have you tried switching shoulders or shooting with the stock clamped under your arm?
Old September 6, 2013, 11:38 AM   #21
BigJimP

I don't know if you're talking to me or HogDog...but I can barely break 90 now...and you want me to shoot left handed...???
Old September 6, 2013, 12:13 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Left handed won't work... That is my arm that I damaged in a roll over and the radiation has wounded my left shoulder too...

Brent
Old September 6, 2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Dreaming100Straight

Quote:
I don't know if you're talking to me or HogDog...but I can barely break 90 now...and you want me to shoot left handed...???
Hogdog, of course, but since you mention it why don't you try left handed? I should be safe several hundred miles away. I( see that Brent can't use his left shoulder, either. Too bad. He probably had the natural skills to switch shoulders, not that some Buffalos haven't been known to be switch hitters.
Old September 6, 2013, 04:07 PM   #24
BigJimP

Hey, I'm comfortable being miserable....

( and getting ready for winter ....putting on a little weight / back up to 295 or so, but still sexy at 6'5" -- for an old guy )....

Shoot left handed ( that's just a waste of good shot downrange...)...geez..
Old September 6, 2013, 07:00 PM   #25
Dreaming100Straight

A real buffalo should be able to shoot from either side. I may just try it in order to see how fast everyone flees the line screaming for safety.