The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 8, 2013, 10:32 PM   #1
KIM STEVENS

Need rough estimate on value.

This is a Weatherby 7mm Magnum, supposedly custom made by Roy Weatherby Sr., early in his career. It is marked "Weatherby 7mm magnum", and then there is a mark that I believe is a proof mark, from Belgium, a lion with initials p.v beneath, and in another place the name " Buehler". It has a Leopold scope. I know almost nothing about firearms, this was left to my mother and I am trying to figure out all the ins and outs of selling this and a Colt handgun, for her. Thanks My pictures are horrible, I will get better ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 169.jpg (233.7 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg 170.jpg (232.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 167.jpg (244.1 KB, 57 views)
Old February 8, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

broken link -web page not found

try again?
Old February 8, 2013, 11:15 PM   #3
the rifleer

I'm not an expert by any means, but I can tell you its worth at least $500, probably more.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:35 PM   #4
tahunua001

I'm no expert by any means but it looks like a 98 style mauser action that was rebarreled and a custom bolt body and a nice custom stock. the scope mount is a 1 piece Leupold/Redfield dovetail rail.

overall there is a difference in worth and cost. you couldn't build that rifle for less than $1500 but you couldn't sell it for more than $500. overall it is probably an amazing shooter, weatherby magnums are tack drivers and very flat shooting cartridges. you did good if you didn't go much over $500.
Old February 8, 2013, 11:42 PM   #5
silvrjeepr

If there's something identifying it to be built by Roy himself, that rifle may be worth considerably more than it would be otherwise. Have someone well versed in classic weatherby's to appraise it. You may contact weatherby directly to verify the age of the rifle.
Old February 9, 2013, 01:47 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

Weatherby started out making his custom rifles on Mauser actions. Buehler was famous for making scope mounts and rings, but they also had a scope safety for the 98 Mauser. That might be one on your rifle, I couldn't tell when I finally got the pics to load.

A Weatherby collector might drool over that gun, but someone who is not would not think it was anything beyond a nice looking sporterized mauser.

And the market value on sporterized milsurps is pretty low these days. Your rifle might be quite valuable in the collectors market, but if taken to a gun show, you won't get much for it.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:04 AM   #7
Scorch

First off, it is not a sporterized military Mauser, it is a commercial FN M98 action chambered in a Weatherby caliber. Weatherby did use FN actions in their earliest rifles.

Buehler made scope mounts as well as the low swing safety on the rifle. Their scope bases and rings are now hard to find, the low swing safetis not.

The checkering alone on the stock would cost over $1200 in today's market, and the piece of Claro used for the stock is also very nice, but neither are in a recognizable Weatherby pattern. Value of the rifle on today's amrket is probably close to $2000. As to whether or not Roy Weatherby made the rifle himself, it would be impossible to guess.

If it is actually a Weatherby rifle, it will be marked Weatherby in the chamber area. Roy Weatherby's trademarks were the Weatherby name in script, and a diamond in the grip cap. That rifle does not have a diamond inlay in the grip cap. That does not mean that it is not in fact a Weatherby rifle, but it reduces the likelihood.

In summary, unless you have a letter or markings on the rifle that could show provenance or that Weatherby did indeed make that rifle, I would call it a case of mistaken identity. If I were to guess the vintage of that rifle, I would say it was made in the 1970s or 1980s.
Old February 10, 2013, 12:40 AM   #8
JT-AR-MG42

Scorch beat me to it and I do agree with his assessment.
Roy Weatherby was a salesman and his rifles were marked to prove it.
No markings on the left receiver and only the caliber marking on the barrel?
How is the butt pad marked?
What is the serial number (keep the last two to yourself if need be -example serial number of 2153- show as 21xx) and where is the serial number located?

I have looked at quite a few of the Southgates and honestly have my doubts on this being one if the serial is above the low three digit range.

It is a nice looking rifle but differs from the FN Southgates in the four digit serial range in quite a few areas.
The composition, shape, and angle of the for-end tip and grip cap, the checkering style, the engraved and in the white ejector box and TG/floorplate, along with the hex head action screws all point to a nice custom rifle in a Weatherby chambering.

But I've been wrong before and am sure to be again. Your photos are clear enough but lacking the areas needed to try to identify the rifles origin.

How about a few of the Colt as well!

JT