The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 11, 2012, 04:50 AM   #1
GunXpatriot

J.C. Higgins Model 42DLM .22 magnum (Marlin 980DL)

I got an old gun from my grandfather, and from a little research, it is a re-branded Marlin 980DL. It was for Sears, Roebuck's "J.C. Higgins" line of firearms, which were branded from 1908 to 1961. Here is the problem. The Marlin 980DL was apparently manufactured from 1962 to 1970. How could the rifle be branded JC higgins if it were manufactured in 62? The only thing I could imagine is that they were produced before 62 and were one of the final guns to recieve the JC higgins branding. The rifle was definitely made before 68, as it has no serial number, but the J.C. branding makes that obvious. Does anyone know what the story behind these rifles are? Also, I'd like to make a video on youtube, kind of a little quick review on the rifle, but I don't want to sound like an idiot! Thanks!
Old December 11, 2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Willie Sutton

What you have obviously found is that either the Wikipedia article with the dates of use of the JC Higgins name or your data in the dates if manufacture of the rifle are wrong. You have found a year overlap, which is really not probably all that unusual... Did 1961 end for JC Higgins on January 1st ? Did production of this rifles begin on January 1st? Probably not. Those dates are a rough stab. There's plenty of ambiguity in both production dates and dates of advertising trade name use.

Your in-hand evidence is correct. Research the date of your rifle and then go back and update the Wikipedia article. That's "research". Enjoy it! You're making a contribution to history, in some small way.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; December 11, 2012 at 09:06 AM.

Tags
42dlm , 980dl , marlin , roebuck , sears