The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 22, 2012, 11:17 PM   #1
MikePruitt

FN 1889 Belgian Carbine Mouser

My Dad brought back an FN 1889 Belgian Carbine Mouser from WWII. My brother broke a part on the back end of the bolt. Both my brother and father have passed away and I am trying to get it back working. All the parts that mount to the back end of the bolt are missing. My brother was working to repair when he too passed away and his wife has no idea where the parts are. I am looking for the names of the parts that would be needed to repair and places to seek to find the parts. Any help would be appreciated!

Also, I seem to recall that my father used a 303 cal. bullet in this gun. Do you know if my memory is correct?
Old January 22, 2012, 11:57 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Try www.gunpartscorp.com for those parts.

If you have the bolt body, the other parts you need are the bolt sleeve, the cocking piece, the safety, the safety detent, the safety detent spring, the safety screw, the firing pin, and the firing pin spring. Those parts can be ordered separately. The extractor is probably still on the bolt body, but if not oit can be ordered.

Jim
Old January 23, 2012, 09:01 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Maybe this page well help ID the parts.

http://207.36.233.89/shooting/mauser...mbly/index.asp

Bolt's and bolt parts can be found on evil bay and Gunbroker, Sarco and such.
Old January 23, 2012, 09:55 AM   #4
tater134

The caliber should be 7.65x53 Mauser which uses a .311 diameter bullet. To repair your rifle you will need a bolt sleeve, cocking piece, safety lever, and the screw and spring mechanism that holds the safety together. You most likely will not find any parts for the m1889 but parts from the m1891 Argentine Mauser should interchange. Good luck with your search.

Edit: The link to the parts diagram above is incorrect and is for a model 98 Mauser. Here is one for the 1891 Argentine Mauser that shows a bolt identical to the one in your rifle along with all the parts.

http://207.36.233.89/argentine1891/b...mbly/index.asp

Last edited by tater134; January 23, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old January 26, 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
MikePruitt

Thanks To All

Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for responding. This was exactly what I needed. I was able to take apart, identify the parts I need and am in the process of chasing them down now. I REALLY appreciate your help!