The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 22, 2011, 11:31 AM   #1
B. Lahey

Stab-Resistant Vest

So I may soon be spending some time locked in a small room with a member of an extremely notorious gang, who may be losing his mind. (I love my job )

I will be unarmed, but I may wear whatever protective gear I can conceal under my suit.

For this and other similar situations, I think I would like an anti-stabby vest. Price is an issue, but I want something I can rely on to work, obviously.

Please offer your suggestions.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:08 PM   #2
armoredman

99% of concealable vests are not stab resistant. A stab vest, (coming from someone who has worn one for years), is basically modern day back and breastplate armor. Mobility is limited, and it tend to be more hot and uncomfortable. If you can find a concealable version, more power to you, but most stab vests are made for wear in a correctional setting, and are over shirt raid style.

Edit to add, things have improved while I wasn't looking, check this one out from Safariland...

http://www.safariland.com/BodyArmor/SCPrismSpike.aspx

There's another Prism vest that gives stab and ballistic protection...forwarding that link to my boss...
Old June 22, 2011, 02:06 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Second Chance Model Y, if they're still made. A Toronto cop that came into the shop I worked in, long ago, had his life saved by one at a domestic. The wife decided she didn't want the guys taking her husband away and tried to stab the cop with a kitchen knife in the back. The vest stopped the knife.
The gang banger in custody? No search?
Old June 22, 2011, 05:55 PM   #4
9-ball

If you find a suit big enough you can conceal anything under it
Old June 22, 2011, 10:25 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

My thoughts...

1st, I'd love to know what your occupation is that you get to meet such charming people.

I worked briefly as a uniformed prisoner extradition officer. The job was long, stressful & low-paying for the conditions.

I'm sure many detectives, criminal investigators, deputy US marshals, EP agents, etc also have to face those environments.

You should be aware that most modern body armor sets or vests will NOT offer any kind of stab or puncture protection. Slash; yes. Cut? Yes. But a razor sharp shiv or edged weapon can go through kelvar/spectra-shield/etc.
R&D by the Federal BoP(Bureau of Prisons) and the US DoJ/NIJ(national institute of justice) explain that in detail. See www.BoP.gov or maybe www.DoJ.gov .
I suggest a Second Chance white undershirt with a class 4 or armor insert for your chest/torso. The owner/CEO was discredited by a few federal agencies for fraud/waste/abuse a few years ago but the firm is still in business. The CEO started as a street cop in the Detroit MI area who was seriously wounded on duty.
Bianchi & Safariland are also well known body armor brands.
See www.Galls.com www.QMUniforms.com www.PoliceHQ.com www.UScav.com www.Blackhawk.com for clothing items/gear/kit related to your choices.

Stay safe & stay groovy(a slang phrase used by USMC ForceRecon in SE Asia to mean watch out for extreme danger).
Old June 23, 2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

Prevention is best cure.
Can't you have these people searched first?
Old June 24, 2011, 10:35 AM   #7
B. Lahey

Quote:
The gang banger in custody? No search?
Yes, and yes.

However, there will be pens and pencils and stuff in the room, and searches have been known to miss things here and there...

Thanks for the links and tips, all. I will keep looking into this. If anyone has anything else to add, please post it up.
Old June 26, 2011, 08:51 PM   #8
armoredman

Seriously depends on the people doing the search. We used to have a x-ray of an intake who had an NAA minirevolver in the 'trunk"...found by the B.O.S.S. chair metal detector. Seen inmates collect chicken bones from meal trays, to sharpen and conceal later, transparent to x-rays. We quit serving leg quarters.
Old June 27, 2011, 07:36 AM   #9
Don P

How about keeping said gang member hand cuffed to the table or perhaps behind his back
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old June 27, 2011, 08:35 AM   #10
teeroux

Quote:
However, there will be pens and pencils and stuff in the room, and searches have been known to miss things here and there...
If your his attorney I would suggest not wearing the body armor. If he is crazy he is expecting you to help him and his attorney showing mistrust in him by wearing a vest would not bode well in my mind.

Besides the best stabb vest in the world wont protect you from getting juked in the face or throat by a shappend plastic hair comb or toothbrush. Have the officers perform a good search and have them keep him in as much restraints possible for you to do what you gotta do.