The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Ike666

Anneal, size, then turn the necks

Would this be the correct order of operations?
Old August 21, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
amamnn

Anneal first if needed then size and trim to length if needed.

As far as the last item on your list:

Possibly--if you have a real need and the proper tools to measure the amount of neck turning needed and accomplish that exact amount of cutting.

People who turn necks to "clean them up" for use in factory chambers are just kidding themselves. Slight turning is not going to make any difference in those roomy chambers and off camber boltheads. If you have necks that are significantly thicker on one side than the other, it's a sign that the entire case was punched off center.

There are still BR shooters who turn necks to get just the right neck tension/clearance on a seated bullet when using a FL die that was made from the reamer that chambered their barrel, but the current fashion is for no turn chamber necks and the use of bushing dies to set case neck tension. These techniques, among others, are used to try and shave .010" or so off groups in rifles built to tolerances so close as to benefit from such things. Different cartridges do best with different neck tension and clearance. For example, my 30BR seems to like .004" neck tension and .002" clearance, but my 6BR does better with about .002" nt and .002" c while other cartridges are different from those. To do that, you must know the exact dimensions of the chamber, caseneck wall thickness, diameter of the bullet pressure ring,or shank and be able to add that all up right in order to determine what the finished neck diameter will be, then subtract the amount of neck tension desired and select the right bushing (easy) or turn the neck (not so easy) to the correct thickness to achieve the desired tension. If you trim too much, the case is not much use. If you pick the wrong bushing you can just expand the neck and tyr again, usually; once or twice.

The reloading tool and component suppliers are eager for everyone to take up neck turning, but the truth is that many, if not most people who do it, especially the people turning necks for plinking and most hunting loads using hand held turners, are wasting time and money, in many cases doing more harm than good.

Ok, I'm done--wore out my soapbox.

Last edited by amamnn; August 21, 2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old August 21, 2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Ike666

Thanks for the guidance! I've never neck turned a case before, but I want to learn the basics of the technique. At this point I don't have a collection of cases that are exclusive to my weapon (a Rem 700 PSS from about 1995). The gun is completely stock and certainly shoots way batter than I do.

Maybe neck turning is wasted on someone with my capabilities, but that's okay. I want to learn the technique and don't mind experimenting with some of my cases, so in that case it's really not a waste of time.

I suspect it will be sometime before I'm able to fully appreciate what you've shared with me, but I've got to start someplace.
Old August 21, 2010, 11:25 PM   #4
Bruno2

Location: Not saying b/c I dont want any of you crazy people to rob or kill me. Alright it's Tulsa , Oklahoma
That was a very informative post amamnn. I have been wondering about neck turning myself. I just recently bought some Redding bushing dies and micrometer seaters.
Old August 21, 2010, 11:56 PM   #5
bigautomatic

What amamn said. Neck turning is nearly pointless if the loads are being used for anything less than benchrest competition, using high quality brass (with the exception of self satisfaction) and a tight chamber. It won't make a bit of difference with cheap brass and most standard factory chambers.
Old August 22, 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Win_94

A quote from my Redding 2007 catalog...
Quote:
'Most competition shooters that have been forced to turn necks to properly fit "tight neck" chambers will confirm the following,:"Turning the necks of poor quality cases will not solve the problems associated with the poor uniformity that remains within the shoulder and body of the case."'
I don't have a case neck micrometer; so when I run into a case that fails to preform numerous times, I keep that case separate from the others...

A good use for the those ones would be to load them for use in your next range party; have your friends shoot the defective ones.
Old August 22, 2010, 10:05 AM   #7
woods

Neck turn new brass, turn very slightly into the shoulder (advice from Forster) and never have to turn again. If you have cases that have been fired several times and just got an outside turner and want to outside neck turn them, then anneal first.

You will have to do some kind of sizing before you can outside neck turn fired cases. The ID of the fired case will be way too big for the neck turning mandrel, it would not be a tight fit and wouldn't work. With new cases you need to have an expander to make the ID of the neck the right size before you can even get a turning mandrel in.

With my Forster turner I use a Lee Collet Neck Sizer and it will size the necks the correct dimension for the outside neck turning mandrel.
Old August 22, 2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Edward429451

Quote:
A good use for the those ones would be to load them for use in your next range party; have your friends shoot the defective ones.
Lol I do this! However, it is not defective, all of it's good ammo and will shoot. But c'mon man let's face it, I am not handing my best ammo over to my friend when drinks are prolly on the line! My fav is where I weigh all my bullets and cull the high/lows to what will become range ammo for me or my friends. All the weight consistent rounds are in my box.

This is all of course very funny until some smart alek friend comes along and oushoots me with my so called crap ammo while I have the good stuff. Very humbling