The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Sigma 40 Blaster

Lube Expander Die???

Guys, thanks to some feedback I got here on some seating and crimping issues I discovered that I'm not flaring my case mouth enough for lead bullets.

I am using Lee dies. I adjusted my charging/expander die to get more of a flare but the cases (.40, 9mm) get really hung up when bringing the Ram down. I can get it loose but it's a helluva tug...powder has a tendency to pop out of the newly charge case when I do that. Would putting some Dillon case lube on my die (the part that does the flaring) help? It is already clean and free of brass and lead shavings.

Do I need to use some Dillon lube on the mouths of my cases? I really don't want to do that..way too much time when I'm reloading 1000 rounds and have a case feeder. Will I have the same "stuck" issue with another brand of die like RCBS?
Old October 26, 2007, 08:01 AM   #2
k Squared

Powder Contamination

Putting case lube on the expander die could result in the lube getting into the powder and contaminating it. There are dry lubes that are designed specifically for this use.

You might check to make sure you're not sizing the cartridges to small, which then requires the flaring die to make a bigger change in the case mouth.

Midway carries a case mouth lube.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...390&t=11082005

Has anyone thought of putting a carbide coating on the flaring tool? (Maybe I could patent the idea).

Last edited by k Squared; October 26, 2007 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Add information
Old October 26, 2007, 10:23 PM   #3
amamnn

I use the same die for the same two cartridges and have no problems like that. I would guess that you have gone too far in expanding your case mouth and need to back off a bit.
Old October 26, 2007, 11:46 PM   #4
swmike

Quote:
Has anyone thought of putting a carbide coating on the flaring tool? (Maybe I could patent the idea).
Carbide wouldn't stop the sticking. Carbide is used to stop wear thus it' use in sizing dies where the pressure and abrasion is high.

Make sure the expander surface is as smooth as possible. Try polishing it like a feed ramp on an autoloader. Things don't stick as much to shiny surfaces.
Lee is not big on finish of this part. At best it was tumble polished.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".