The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 1, 2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Corik Jasra

Vertical Shoulder Holster for Commander?

I planned on getting a black Alessi Fieldmaster for Auto to use with my .45 Para CCW (4.25 inch barrel, commander size). It is a beauty! But I found out today that they are backlogged for over 6 months.

The problem I am having is that most of the really nice shoulder holsters are horizontal while I would like vertical.

Can you all recommend some nice leather or horsehide ones?
Old June 2, 2007, 11:53 AM   #2
Corik Jasra

No leather vertical shoulder holster commander love?
Old June 3, 2007, 12:09 AM   #3
raymond-

i may still have a VG condition Bianchi vertical which i used with Commander
in 38 Super. let me see if it's still where i left it.
Old June 3, 2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Corik Jasra

I am looking for a leather, vertical shoulder holster with space for two magazines for the commander size.

This is the one I wanted, but I never heard back from Alessi to even get on the 6+ month waiting list =p

I would not mind the Bianchi X-15, but it doesn't have the magazine pouch and has at least one ugly strap in the back (maybe more)

The Galco VHS looks to be the right size, but I do not think commander sized weapons work:

Needless to say, I am having little luck in my search. Quite surprising really, considering the popularity of 1911s and the commander size in particular. It only works with 4 inch and 5 inch barrels... apparently 4 1/4 inch is not supported.
Old June 3, 2007, 05:01 PM   #5
dairycreek

FIST shows a vertical shoulder holster in their lineup

and, from my personal experience, FIST makes high quality stuff.

As far as a commander size is concerned I urge you to call them up and talk to them. When I have done this I have always received exactly what I wanted and at a fair price to boot. Jim Murnak is the head guy there and a real pleasure to work with.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old June 3, 2007, 05:50 PM   #6
Corik Jasra

Thank you, Dairycreek.

I was veering away from that one by Fist-Inc because of a review I read by Sawbones. His experience was diametrically opposed to yours. His comments were right on about some of the other products so I didn't questions this:

Quote:
FIST vertical shoulder rig. This company offers another "factory custom" approach to holster production. I had one of these for the Glock 27, which is a fairly small gun. With the offside angled double mag pouch, I felt like I was carrying a ham under each arm, the rig was so bulky. The design concept is a good one, but the execution is lacking. The leather is dry, (feels like "splits"), and quality was poor as compared to others. In addition, the owner (Jim Murnack) was quite rude and insulting to deal with. (FWIW, in response to a query about FIST holsters on a gun-related bulletin board, I related my experience and opinions, then Mr. Murnack signed on and took umbrage. I emailed him personally, and received some poorly-written, sometimes-incomprehensible insults in return. As it turned out, he had mistaken me for a different person posting to the same thread, and he later apologised, but nonetheless demonstrated a poor attitude for a businessman, in my opinion. He DID take the rig back and refund my original cost, after the smoke cleared, though, and I give him credit for that. It's the only shoulder rig I've ever returned to the maker, and I did so only because he seemed to want to make things right.)
Old June 5, 2007, 12:09 PM   #7
dairycreek

Different folks do, indeed, have different experiences and, therefore, different perceptions. At this time I own eleven FIST holsters and all of them have been quality products. Of course, I have not spoken to Mr. Murnak about each of them but, when I did talk with him, I was treated politely and, as I said, received exactly the holster I wanted. That is my experience and my perception FWIW!

GOOD SHOOTING
Old June 5, 2007, 12:38 PM   #8
surveyor

check out http://www.andrewsleather.com/

look at monarch rig, and spring break..

I have a mcdaniel2 from them and was very pleased with it...
took 6 weeks to get.

Surveyor

Last edited by surveyor; June 5, 2007 at 12:41 PM. Reason: add image
Old June 5, 2007, 07:09 PM   #9
Corik Jasra

Thank you for the pictures of Andrews, that is on the list.

Quote:
I was treated politely and, as I said, received exactly the holster I wanted. That is my experience and my perception FWIW!
That is good enough for me

Do you or does anyone else have any pictures of the #70 Vertical Shoulder holster from Fist being worn? Or heck any other pictures, the one on their site is from one angle.
Old June 6, 2007, 12:25 PM   #10

I pulled a used holster out of my dealer's slush pile yesterday. It was a "Ross", made in South Africa. Verticle and made for 1911 style pistol with dual mag pouch on the weak side. It fits my Star PD perfectically and seems to hang well. Looks a lot like the Alessi(I suspect it is actually the other way around - I think that Ross preceeded Alessi).
Anyhow you might see if you can find one of those. I think I ended up paying around $45.00 used.
Old June 6, 2007, 01:04 PM   #11
tegemu

It's hard to beat any product made by Sam Andrews and to boot, he is one of the nicest men you will ever have the pleasure of dealing with. His support of his products is superb. www.andrewsleather.com