The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 5, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
Doc Hoy

Gunshow in Norfolk

I am going to need your help guys.

I picked up an Uberti, what I think is a Cattleman 5 1/2 " barrel accept it is for powder and ball.

The frame is marked Pat. Sept. 19 1871 Then July 2, 72 and Jan 19, 75.

I would be more comfortable if it had said 1873, but I have no experience with this vintage revolver. This is he first one I have ever even examined let alone purchased. It certainly looks exactly like a cattleman

The pistol is unfired but no box or papers.

I gave 250.00 for the whole mess including a Treso flask, about a hundred caps and a hundred .451 balls, nipple wrench, some bore butter (which I will probably put on my next serving of ice cream) a telescoping measure, a ball starter and a beautiful oak box and a EWM holster.

Looks as though this revolver must be loaded with a press.

I looked at a Cattleman (think it was 45 LC) on Taylors. The price was 457.00 so I think I did okay but would love to have your opinion.

Photos are forth coming
Old November 5, 2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

Photos

Here is the box. You can tell that the handle is missing but that is relatively simple. I will probably replace the latches since they are little bit corroded.

Inside the box with pistol to give an idea of the size of the box.

Old November 5, 2011, 12:49 PM   #3
Doc Hoy

Here are the photos of the revolver

Pistol with the holster.

Right side

Left side

My intention is to start by loading with a press, with loose powder and round ball. Looks like number ten caps will go best on the nipples. No wads.

Anyone with experinece on this specific revolver who has suggestions about other loads chime in.
Old November 5, 2011, 12:49 PM   #4
zullo74

Sounds like you did good. It must be loaded using a cylinder loading press. It is the same frame as a Uberti Cattleman except the firing pin hole is offset and modified to fire percussion caps. You're a lucky dog!
Old November 5, 2011, 04:51 PM   #5
Doc Hoy

Zullo

Thanks.

This pistol is in really great shape.

I am convinced it has never been fired, just handled.

It is the only Uberti I own.

Last edited by Doc Hoy; November 5, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old November 7, 2011, 02:09 PM   #6
mykeal

I've had one for several years. It's a fine shooting gun. I use 20-25 gr fffg real black (Goex) and a dry lubed felt overpowder wad. I use a loading press, of course. I have two spare cylinders that come in quite handy. I dont recall the caps. I'll look that up in the next couple days.
Old November 7, 2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Smokin'Joe

Doc,
You done good! I'll give you $260.00 for the rig.
Enjoy, Joe
Old November 7, 2011, 03:34 PM   #8
Doc Hoy

Mykeal and Smokin Joe

Mykeal,

Yep, Thats it, but with a 5.5 inch barrel. I am shooting Triple Seven so maybe a lighter load with the shorter barrel?

I found out it likes .454s better'n .451s. I had .451s kind of all over the place. But I actually had one group of .454s in about an inch and a half bench rested at 15 yards.

In the box were some RWS 1075s which were just slightly large. I had about one cap drop off on each round of six. I went to CCI 10s and they work much better. (After shooting up all of the 1075s)

There was also a tin of Alcan 12s.They are so big they are about the size of a shot glass. I don't have anything they will work on. I am pretty sure the previous owner didn't either. I think all hundred of them are still in the tin.

Smokin Joe,

I'll let you have everything I got, minus the pistol and the Treso flask for 260.00.

Huh? Deal? Huh? Huh?

In the serious side, I took the pistol out yesterday and had a great time. This is a shooter's pistol. It is easy to load. The caps go on with your fingers. When I get better with it, I think I will get it to hit POA pretty reliably.

It cleans up as easy as a Remington. All of the nipples were loose enough to turn them out with a nipple wrench and no profanity. Fit and finish on the pistol is easily as good as my 2nd and 3rd Gen Colts.

As Gene Autry said, "I like it."

Last edited by Doc Hoy; November 7, 2011 at 03:39 PM.
Old November 9, 2011, 01:04 PM   #9
arcticap

Traditions sells the comparable Pietta 1873 percussion models in various barrel lengths, and with or without a target sight.
Their specials page lists the 9.25" barrel with target sight for $369 and without a target sight for $329.
The Pietta 1873's that I've seen have had a polished brass grip frame and a beautiful overall fit and finish. I haven't fired one but they're comfortable to hold and seem to point really well too.

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...51a5c771a6be1e

http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/pr...51a5c771a6be1e
Old November 9, 2011, 01:55 PM   #10
Doc Hoy

Holy Crap!

That is another danged revolver I need to get.