The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 12, 2002, 12:09 PM   #1
KPS

Stupid Question

I inherited a Winchester 1200, well actually a Ted Williams model 200, but they are the same gun.It has a loooong smooth-bore barrel for birds I assume, but I would like to get a shorter barrel for home defense.It appears that Winchester only makes a rifled 22" barrel for the 1200/1300 series and nothing else.Can I shoot buckshot out of this barrel or is it designed specifically for slugs?I'm new to shotguns and will probably be using it for trap/skeet with its original barrel.
Old October 12, 2002, 02:06 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I just checked Gun Parts Corporation, and this is what they list in short model 1200 barrels:

704560B Barrel, 12 GA., 5 Shot - New Factory Original, Blue, 18 1/2", Cylinder Bore, Bead Front Sight, For 2 3/4 & 3" Shells.*

705260A Barrel, 12 GA., 5 Shot - New Factory Original, Blue, 18 1/2", Cylinder Bore, Rifle Sights, For 2 3/4 & 3" Shells.*

704570C Barrel, 12 GA., 8 Shot - New Factory Original, Blue, 20 1/2", Cylinder Bore, Rifle Ramp Front & Rear Sights, For 2 3/4 & 3" Shells.

826410 Barrel, 12 GA., Cylinder Bore, 18-1/2", 8 Shot*

829420 Barrel, 12GA, 24", Full Choke, Plain*

Prices are in the $130.00 range

NOTE: As I recall, you have to have an 8 shot gun to start with before you can use the 8 shot length barrels, they WON'T fit a standard 5 shot gun.
Old October 12, 2002, 06:36 PM   #3
BigD

KPS,

While it may be a drive for you (although it would make a very nice day trip or weekend getaway) I'd take a run up to Kittery Trading Post in Maine. While visiting my folks in NH several years back, I was able to find a 28" MobileChoke 1200 barrel for my Sears Model 200 for around $80 if memory serves me correctly.

If you haven't been there before, it's definitely worth the drive. The basement is all fishing, the ground floor is clothing and camping, while the second floor is completely firearms, archery, & knives. I have yet to come across a better selection of rifles and shotguns in all my travels.

You get a small idea of what I'm talking about in the picture at the top of the Used Guns page.

Read between the lines;
Criticize the words they're selling.
Think for yourself,
And feel the walls become sand beneath your feet.
--Queensryche--
Old October 13, 2002, 07:37 AM   #4
KPS

Thank you Dfariswheel and Big D. Big D, I just visited The Kittery Trading Post over Labor Day weekend for the 1st time.Fortunately they had their annual BIG sale and I was astounded to see so many rifles/shotguns in one room.Thanks for the tip.I just might have to give them a call and take a trip.
Old October 16, 2002, 09:00 AM   #5
SLIM410

The only stupid question is the one that was never asked.

Rifled barrels were designed for rifled slugs. That is not to say that you cannot shoot shotshells out of a rifled barrel, you can, but eventially the shot will score the rifling on the inside of the bore and then the slugs will not perform the way they're supposed too.

They call .410's either a beginner or an expert's gun. I'm no beginner.
Old October 16, 2002, 09:08 AM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Rifled barrels with shot loads gives you doughnut patterns. The shot tends to rotate and spreads it self along the edges with an empty place in the middle.

Rifled slugs can be used in a rifled barrel, but sabot slugs are optimum. Standard rifled or foster type slugs are optimum for smooth bore slug barrels, though any choke tighter than "full" is, IMHO, risky.