The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 2, 2023, 02:15 PM   #1
Carmady

TruGlo Pro-Series Gobble-Dot turkey sights

Any comments on these? They are adjustable 3-dot fiber optic sights which are held to the ventilated rib by set screws.

The gun will be used for slugs/HD.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TruGlo Pro Gobble-Dot.jpg (10.1 KB, 56 views)
Old March 2, 2023, 02:30 PM   #2
Pahoo

I don't see a problem. ....

Quote:
Any comments on these?
The basic 3-dot fiber optic sights is fairly common, on a variety or firearms. What differs, is the mounting and see no mechanical issues. I've mounted a few Red-Dots on shotguns and mounting varies on these as well. I would suggest the use of a double sided sticky tape between the contact points to protect the finish and "hold" on recoil. If you go this way, buy some extra light tubes. ..

Old March 2, 2023, 08:46 PM   #3
Carmady

Quote:
I've mounted a few Red-Dots on shotguns and mounting varies on these as well.
I've taken this gun to the range twice and shot 50 slugs; 28 on the first trip, 22 on the second. It had a red-dot on both trips (only times I've used a red-dot) and the best group was 2 1/8" at 50 yards with a 22" barrel on the first trip. That was cut short, but I was very pleased with the results.

The next trip was the same set up, but with a 18 11/16" barrel. Six 9" paper plates 50 yards away. 1-3 had 3-shot groups 6"-7 1/2"; #4 was the best at 4". Then it started to suck. Plate #5 had three misses, as in no holes in the plate. Plate #6 had one hole mostly on the plate at 6 o'clock and two misses. Of the last six slugs, one was on the edge of the plate. So I stopped shooting, and figured the red-dot was loose on the mount or loose inside. Either way, I decided to go with the 3-dot turkey sights on the shotgun, and put the red-dot on a .22 rifle to see if it's any good.
Old March 3, 2023, 10:41 AM   #4
natman

I've used similar sights on my turkey gun for decades. I don't hunt with open sights on rifles anymore, but I can put the red blur between the green blurs well enough to hit a turkey's head at 40 yards with a shotgun.

I would wonder about how well the fiber optics would work in low light HD situations.
Old March 4, 2023, 12:56 AM   #5
bamaranger

sights

About 15 years ago, I put a set of those very sights on a 24" Mossberg 835 to be used as a turkey gun. I used finger nail polish to set the screws, and the whole arrangement has been solid and stable ever since. I was a bit concerned that the fiber optic tube on the front sight would prove fragile in the sometimes frantic run and gun nature of some hunts, and the crashing about in the pre-dawn woods, but everything has held up very well. I hunt the Mossberg with the fiber sights a good bit every spring.

I too have trouble with standard bead and blade sights these days, especially on short barrels, but as Natman stated, I can line the fiber optic dots up on the shotgun well enough to prove the demise of any gobbler that wanders by inside 45 yds or so. (well.....most of the time)

Natman raises a valid point, to a certain degree anyhow. Fiber optic sights gather light, if there is no light, your sights will not be "lit". Will the "unlit" sights be visible, I dunno. The counterpoint is that if there is not enough light to identify your target, you should not be shooting anyhow. I have not run into a situation gobbler hunting where there was not enough natural light to see the Tru-Glo sights, ,the bird and take the shot. Will there be enough ambient light down a night time hallway, carport and so on to see threat and fiber optic sights in your critical incident, I dunno. Serious SD/HD long guns mount some type of light these days. Will that weapon mounted light supply enough scattered illumination for a set of fiber optic's to work......maybe.

I recently installed a See All sight on a tactical pattern carbine. A simple explanation of the See All's operation is that the sight has a large fiber optic type wafer that gathers ambient light, allowing the chevron type reticle to become visible in one's field of view. As an experiment, at night, I set up a target at 25 yds in front of my pickup headlights, the target and backer were clearly visible. From assorted positions in and around the truck to include in front of the lights, I attempted to gain a sight picture and place rounds on the target.......never happend! That big chewing gum sized wafer of light gathering material mounted on a rail on top of the carbine was not getting enough light to allow the sight to function.

Were I inclined to add a simple night sight system to a bead sighted fighting shotgun, I believe I would consider the X-S Big Dot epoxy mounted version.
Old March 4, 2023, 08:08 AM   #6
lunger

I also put those exact sights on a Mossberg 835 some years ago. I have put some very stout loads through it. Never had any issues and worked great for me.

In think they be would be good for your slugs/HD .
Old March 5, 2023, 10:56 AM   #7
Carmady

Quote:
I would wonder about how well the fiber optics would work in low light HD situations.
Quote:
Fiber optic sights gather light, if there is no light, your sights will not be "lit".
Quote:
I have put some very stout loads through it. Never had any issues and worked great for me.
Thanks for all the replies. I'm not expecting these to glow in the dark, if I can see them well enough outside during the day that will suit me.

The sights were delivered yesterday, and I hope to try them out this Tuesday.
Old March 7, 2023, 12:54 AM   #8
bamaranger

happy

I think you will be more than happy with them given your expectations. On our Mossberg (I bought it for a teenage bamaboy) the sights allowed sliding the very tight patterns from modern turkey chokes and loads around to point of aim, and made for a very efficient gobbler getter.

Had to add this........gobbler season is less than a month away
Old March 7, 2023, 05:14 PM   #9
Carmady

Didn't make it to the range, but did manage to get the sights installed.

I also re-crowned the muzzle using a wooden dowel (paint roller handle) with stick-on 320 and 400. This made a much better chamfer than just smoothing it out with a thumb and sandpaper. If it's okay it'll get cold blued, but I want to check first. I doubt if the thumbed crown was responsible for 5 out of 6 slugs missing the plates, but did it anyway.

Good luck with the gobblers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500 barrel (1).JPG (353.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 500 barrel (2).JPG (328.7 KB, 37 views)
Old March 17, 2023, 02:30 PM   #10
eastbank

i have a burris fast fire 3 with two vent rib mounts on two 870 rem pumps, a 20 ga and a 12 ga. simple to switch from one shotgun to the other. no problems at all over the last three turkey seasons shooting 4 nice turkeys. ps the burris fast fire 3,s are warrented forever, like leupold scopes.