The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 4, 2014, 09:48 AM   #1
isupportthenra

Para-Ordnance P13-45 Finding a Barrel

Hey guys,
I have a para-ordnance p13-45 (Canadian manufactured) that i picked up recently. It is a double stack .45acp. The current barrel in it does not allow the slide to come back far enough to lock open. I believe the problem is the current barrel is rised and not factory to the para-ordnance.
I cannot find a para-ordnance p13-45 barrel or a barrel that would fit it anywhere for a reasonable price.
Any ideas what other barrels will fit it or where to get one for a good price? Maybe around $100? Planning on selling it and dont want to invest too much into it but would like a reliable new or good condition used barrel.
I do not believe a standard 1911 barrel will fit it because it is rised.
I believe the barrel should be 4 1/4" long.
Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.
Old November 4, 2014, 12:23 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

What is "rised"?

Until the introduction of the GI Expert series of pistols, ALL Para-Ordnance pistols had ramped barrels. The ramp configuration is the 'Clark-Para" ramp. You can buy any barrel that has this style of ramp -- but I doubt very much that you can find one for anywhere near that price.

The only problem is that the slide doesn't lock open? Does the pistol have a shock buffer installed? If so, remove it.
Old November 4, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
isupportthenra

I meant ramped not rised, my bad

Thank you for the help. I meant to say ramped, not rised. I was not exactly sure what type of barrel I need to buy. If i attached a picture, would you be able to tell if it was a clark- para ramped barrel?
I do not believe that there is a shock buffer installed.
I had taken it to a gunsmith and he said that most likely the barrel that would not allow the slide to lock open. He tried a barrel from another similar handgun he had and it fit well, allowing the slide to lock open.
Would you agree with his assessment?
Again, thank you for your help.
Old November 4, 2014, 02:45 PM   #4
1stmar

I've never heard of a barrel preventing the slide from locking open. That doesn't sound right to me. Shock buff as mentioned, perhaps a slide stop or magazine but not likely a barrel. I agree you won't likely find a barrel for $100. Closer to $150-165.
Old November 4, 2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by isupportthenra
Would you agree with his assessment?
Nope. In fact, I would say that what he is suggesting is virtually impossible, and you need to find a different gunsmith.

You don't "believe" a shock buffer is installed? It's easy to check, and if there is one it could very easily be the cause of your problems. Other possible causes could be either magazine followers (how many magazines do you have, and does the problem occur with all of them) or the slide stop.

Sure, post a photo of the barrel. I happen to own a P13.45, so it's easy to make the comparison.
Old November 4, 2014, 04:38 PM   #6
Roughedge

If your planning on selling it what would you take for it like it is?
Old November 4, 2014, 06:48 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Another possibility: Spring stacking. That's where the recoil spring is too long, so it compresses to a solid cylinder before the slide has traveled all the way to the rear.
Old November 4, 2014, 06:52 PM   #8
1stmar

My guess is slide stop or magazine. In that order. Anything but barrel.
Old November 4, 2014, 09:13 PM   #9
isupportthenra

Here are some pictures

Here are some pictures of it.
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/k7bghhi4p...vRyVRL7pb62-9a
I also took pictures of measurements. Maybe if you have a p13-45 you could see if your measurements come out the same. Maybe the spring is too long, not sure. Can you tell if the barrel is original? Very nice rifling on it.
I do not believe the magazines are the issue. The slide won't lock open without a magazine in either.
I greatly appreciate all of the help.
As far as selling it, I am not in a huge hurry to sell it unless you want to make a good offer and would really like to figure out the problem first. This is a learning experience for me. Not too familiar with this particular type of 1911.
Thanks
Old November 4, 2014, 10:19 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The barrel is either a Para-Ordnance barrel or a counterfeit. And I've never heard of anyone counterfeiting Para-Ordnance barrels. Look at your fifth photo. The Para logo is stamped into the barrel hood ahead of the chambering identification.

I also don't see anything about the barrel to suggest that it could possibly be interfering with the slide fully retracting. I don't understand your comment abut not being familiar with "this type" of 1911. The P13.45 is mechanically identical to a Colt Commander, except for the double stack magazine and the ramped barrel. And neither of those difference would affect how far the slide retracts. Trouble shooting for the P13.45 is exactly the same as for a Colt Commander.

Measuring the free length of the recoil spring doesn't prove anything, because it might not be the original spring. The simple test is to assemble the pistol, rack the slide by hand, and mark in some way a reference point on the slide and receiver. Small bits of masking tape work fine. Then draw a line from the tape on the slide to the tape in the receiver.

Then rotate the barrel bushing 90 degrees, remove the recoil spring plug, and allow the spring to hang out the front. Retract the slide again and see if the marks still line up, or if the slide moved farther back. If so, you have spring bind.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; November 4, 2014 at 10:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old November 4, 2014, 10:59 PM   #11
isupportthenra

I will try that. Thanks

Yes, I did notice the para-ordnance marking on the barrel. My gun smith told me that it doesn't necessarily take a standard 1911 barrel because it isnt a standard 1911 since it isnt a single stack. He didnt believe the barrel was original since it was ramped. He does a beautiful job when it comes to re-bluing a firearm or something like that. I think you see my point.
We both missed the obvious with the marking on the barrel.
I will try what you recommended and hopefully thatll solve it. I will let you know.
Thanks a lot.
Old November 5, 2014, 12:56 AM   #12
isupportthenra

It is the spring

I assembled the gun as one usually would, this time without the spring (it was a bit tricky). Upon doing so, the slide did indeed come back far enough to lock open (and even a bit further).
My conclusion based off that and what you said is that it is the spring which is too tight. Is there a certain spring or place you would recommend I get it? I noticed there are a few different varieties with different recoil pounds depending on the spring (if you desire reduced, factory, or extra power). Is one better?
The cheaper the better but I am willing to spend what is necessary to get this fixed.
Thank you
Old November 5, 2014, 07:27 AM   #13
Hunter Customs

Have you changed the barrel bushing in the gun?
If so and you did not use a bushing for a commander that could be your problem.
The skirt on a commander bushing is shorter in length then the skirt on a full size (government model length) bushing.
The longer bushing will cause the gun to short cycle.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 5, 2014, 07:32 AM   #14
Hunter Customs

I looked at the pictures again and did not see the barrel bushing because I was looking for a barrel bushing.
I did see a bushing compensator (which is useless as for reducing recoil) and that's your problem.
Find yourself a commander length bushing use it in place of the bushing comp and your problem will be solved.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old November 5, 2014, 08:03 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Moved to a more appropriate forum.
Old November 5, 2014, 08:44 AM   #16
isupportthenra

Thats the problem

I believe you are correct. When i put it together without the spring, I did not have the "bushing compensator" in which is why it came far enough back. I took the spring out and had the "bushing compensator" on and I was having the same problem as before. I will get the commander length bushing and let you know how it goes.
Thanks a lot everyone for all of the help.
Old November 6, 2014, 07:13 AM   #17
Ritz

I didn't even notice that "compensator" up in the corner of the photo. That gun looks like it's seen a LOT of usage.
Old November 22, 2014, 11:57 AM   #18
isupportthenra

It was the bushing barrel

Got a new bushing barrel for it and that was the problem. Now functions flawlessly. Thanks for all of the help guys. I am considering selling it if anyone is interested, send me a private message.
Take care.

Tags
.45acp , 1911 , barrel , p13-45 , para ordnance