The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 3, 2012, 03:20 PM   #1
warbirdlover

How Remington 700's are made

I keep hearing bad remarks about them. Here is a link to a youtube video on their site on how they're made. Being a former manufacturing, design and finally metallurgical engineer it looks pretty state-of-the-art and good to me....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajrUQ...ure=plpp_video
Old October 3, 2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Rob62

I am aware of the controversy surounding the model 700. However I feel 90% of it is unwaranted. I pretty much use some grade of model 700 exlusively and would not hesitate to have a family member use one as well.

If you can ever do a factory tour of the Ilion, NY, plant I highly recommend it. I was there in the mid 90's and found the place full of history.
Old October 3, 2012, 06:31 PM   #3
jmr40

The biggest problem is folks who buy an SPS or Express and get mad because it is not as nicely finished as a BDL or Wingmaster from years ago. They get on the net and complain about quality being down.

The SPS and Express guns are just as reliable and functional in my experience, but you are saving money by getting a lower level of finish and cheaper stock. If you want the better finised gun, they are still availble, but you are going to have to pay for it.

I think they are as good as they have ever been. In all fairness, I prefer other brands, and Remingtons do have some issues, but I do own a few. And would buy another if I wanted one as well as recommend them to someone considering one.
Old October 3, 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
mete

In the mid '70s I visited Remington to see their powder metal operation.I was also a metallurgist .I had asked about also seeing their gun operation -they said yes ! At that time it was very rare for anyone to see the gun factory !!
Even at that time most gun factories were using cold swaged barrels .
It was interesting to see them make the 3200 ,carved out of a solid block of steel to leave a thin shell! Most of Remingtons were machined while most of Rugers were investment cast.
I'm glad I asked for the visit.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:10 PM   #5
Joe Chicago

I bought two new Remington rifles last year that were faulty and needed to go back to the factory. First, I had a Model Seven where the head space was off and I could barely cycle the bolt after firing it. To Big Green's credit, they repaired it in a timely manner. Second, I had a 597 that threw an ejector plunger spring on the third round so the factory sent a new bolt for me to install. Then I could not zero the iron sights because the front sight was off-center by five degrees so the factory installed a new barrel. Finally, I could not zero after market sights because the receiver dovetails were also off center.

I think that quality control has dropped under The Freedom Group. I am sure that Remington will improve their QC, but for now I am steering clear of their products. I had a 1997 700ADL that was accurate, well made, and never failed to function. I look forward to owning another 700 after Remington cleans up its act.
Old October 3, 2012, 10:31 PM   #6
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I bought the SPS Tactical mainly due to the threaded barrel and heavier profile barrel. I love it. I personally do not like wooden stocked rifles. I own quite a few, but they are not my favorite. I can however say, the SPS shoots as good as any other rifle I have fired. I could not ask for a better shooting rifle. I shoot an average of 5/8" groups at 100yds with very little work(rebedding the stock, setting the trigger to <2lbs, and hand loads).
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 4, 2012, 01:29 AM   #7
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
The biggest problem is folks who buy an SPS or Express and get mad because it is not as nicely finished as a BDL or Wingmaster from years ago. They get on the net and complain about quality being down.
For those of us that dropped more coin to buy a Wingmaster or a 700 CDL and ended up with crap.. We have every right to complain... Tool chatter marks on the reciever and bolt on a new Wingmaster will really make you question Remington's commitment to Q/C...
Old October 4, 2012, 08:07 AM   #8
hooligan1

What differences has the video made for their quality... I still believe in the Remington 700 rifle, however they're better made rifles to choose from right now.
Warbird look up the video for the Savage or the Winchester rifle and watch it.

I really dig the CDL it's the best looking rifle in it's class, but as far as a quality rifle through and through...?????
Old October 4, 2012, 10:04 AM   #9
warbirdlover

I won't argue there are other manufacturers out there making super nice and accurate rifles. And I'm sure there are some lemons made by them also. Joe C got stung twice by Remington so I can certainly understand his feeling toward them. I would feel the same way.

I bought my SPS Buckmasters .270 last summer right around the big "trigger" issue and was very apprehensive about doing it. But when I went through every rifle in the store, cycling the actions, dry firing them and looking at the visual quality the Remington stood out because it was probably $200 cheaper then the equivalent rifles. Others that impressed me were Tikka T3's (hunter wood stock model), Winchester 70's, Sako A7's, and others but as I said all were more money. I did not look at Savage because I just can't like the looks of them. They certainly have a good reputation and shoot tight groups but now are as expensive as most others.

After I cleaned my 700 and fired it my previous apprehension vanished. It was a tackhammer and I'm completely satisfied. They possibly got their act together after Joe C gave 'em heck!!!
Old October 4, 2012, 10:11 AM   #10
LockedBreech

I finally handled a current production Model 700 a few weeks ago. It was just the most basic model, a blued SPS. I held it along with several Savage models and a few Ruger M77 variants.

I thought the 700 felt held and shoulders above the other two. Smoother, tighter, crisper bolt and a very solid-feeling package. After all the smack talk they get online I was amazed.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:23 AM   #11
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I love the 700, and have no gripes with any of mine. I didn't buy a Kia and think it was a Mercedes though. No buck about it, mine is a 20" heavy barrel SPS. It has a Hogue stock and matte finish. This is by far the most accurate out of the box rifle I own. Does it look and feel different than my pre 64 model 70 Win.? Yep, but I knew what I was getting when I bought it. It wasn't a $1000+ rifle. I got no gripes with the quality or performance at all.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 4, 2012, 12:48 PM   #12
Joe Chicago

Please understand that I want to like Remington. My first centerfire rifle was a 1997 M700 and it was terrific. I wish I had not traded it toward the 2011 Model Seven. And I look forward to buying another 700 after Big Green improves their quality. My attitude toward Remington is much like my attitude toward the US car industry in the 1980s: I want to buy your products, but I won't buy inferior products out of loyalty when there are much better options out there.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:16 PM   #13
GeauxTide

They have sold 5 million 700s. I've owned a bunch of Remington rifles and shotguns and all have been first rate.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:58 PM   #14
shurshot

Gramps old 1948 Remington model 721 .270... thousands of rounds and countless deer, bear and hogs later....still working fine and taking deer. I just bought a 700 BDL .270 last year, as my son wants one, and he doesn't get Gramps till I'm gone.

PS; No "MSNBC trigger issues" with either one.
Old October 7, 2012, 12:58 PM   #15
p5200

I purchased one of the 700 sps tactical aac-sd models in .308 and so far all I have shot is handloads using Varget with Hornady 168 A-Max. I have had very good accuracy with this combo so far. I also put it in a Bell & Carlson A2 model stock which seems quite sturdy and fits great! I'm trying to make up my mind on getting a #510 Timney or a Jewell trigger since it's strictly used for bench shooting. I thought about putting one of the bigger tac. bolt knobs on it but, since most say the bolts are silver soldered in place I worry the extra leverage might not be a good idea.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I keep hearing bad remarks about them. Here is a link to a youtube video on their site on how they're made. Being a former manufacturing, design and finally metallurgical engineer it looks pretty state-of-the-art and good to me....
The only problem is that state-of-the-art won't necessarily fix a questionable design and QC issues for the Walker trigger.
Old October 8, 2012, 11:49 PM   #17
warbirdlover

The Walker trigger design has been changed 3(?) years ago with the X-Mark Pro trigger. That was the only question in the design. And then it's still iffy that those trigger problems weren't caused by people tinkering with them.