The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 22, 2018, 12:18 AM   #1
YankeeIronSights

NAA Ranger 2 Breaktop

Hi Everyone,

I am very interested in the new NAA Ranger 2 Breaktop revolver. It comes with a 22 magnum and 22LR cylinder. The price is quite high but it is the most practical and easy to load / fire mini revolver made by North American Arms.

Has anyone in this forum tested this model at the range. Please share your experience with this specific model.

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 22, 2018, 12:53 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

There is an NAA forum with a lot of information about them.
The Ranger II has had a lot of teething problems. I don't know if they have straightened them out.
Old August 22, 2018, 02:21 AM   #3
TruthTellers

What makes it practical? The concept of a faster reload with a breaktop sounds like salesman talk to me. After I saw the price of the breaktop Ranger II I thought it over and NAA makes a combo .22LR/.22Mag that's a solid frame, pull pin revolver and you can find them for half the price of the Ranger II. My thinking is you can carry the spare cylinder, pre-loaded, on your person so if you had to reload all you'd have to do is take out the cylinder and replace it with the loaded cylinder.

Now, that would mean you're reloading .22 Mag or LR with the opposite ammo, but at the distances you'd be shooting with an NAA it wouldn't matter.

This is my thinking. I was interested in the NAA until I saw the issues with it (and the price) and while it's silly to think that you'd need more than 5 rounds in a mini revolver, the .22LR/.22Mag combo is more reliable and a lot less money.
Old August 22, 2018, 06:29 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

I like the design.

BUT I have the original pin and cylinder and the swing out cylinder. The swing out cylinder allows you to push the spent cases out all at once but in 22 Magnum, the cases expand.

Honestly, if you are talking self defense, I actually carry two of these revolvers in each pocket with a 9 mm in the waist.

I call it my Carolina Reload. 2 back up guns to one pistol.

They disappear into the pocket but can be drawn very easily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old August 22, 2018, 10:41 AM   #5
Glenn E. Meyer

Having an early NAA where you have to remove the cylinder to reload, doing it under stress isn't going to be a fun thing or fast. As CDR said, they are backups and reloading them is not a real plan. For what it is worth, I carry (as a BUG) in a pocket holster that allows you to carry reloads. An interesting nuance is that the holster (Thad Rybka design) will hold 5 22 LR (if you have that cylinder in it). It won't close on 22 Mag rounds, they are too long. So since I carry the 22 Mag Critical Defense round, I found that 22 WRF (that's somewhat obscure) in the holster as they fit 22 Mag cylinders and being shorter they fit the holster pouch.

But reloading, come back tomorrow and I'll be done. I'd like the idea of the swing out or the top break but not enough to spend the money.
Old August 22, 2018, 11:40 AM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Honestly, if you are talking self defense, I actually carry two of these revolvers in each pocket with a 9 mm in the waist.
That's another point I can make: you can buy two of the standard NAA revolvers will cost the same as the Ranger II.
Old August 22, 2018, 07:21 PM   #7
YankeeIronSights

After reading your feedback, I agree with many points made.

Regarding older NAA mini revolvers, I have owned a few but ended up trading them. I love the concept of carrying a mini gun that disappears in the pocket. However, I dislike having to manipulate three gun components when reloading. Consider this: micro motor skills during a self defense situation would be difficult to manage and could cause you to drop the frame, cylinder, bullets and or cylinder guiding rod. You could end up shooting your hand while holding the hammer back to align and secure the loaded cylinder. This is why this new mini revolver is safer to operate. One hand holds the gun while the other holds the cartridges. The possibility of dropping gun components is reduced and your hand is less exposed to the barrel when arming the gun.

Reloading this gun during a self defense encounter is not something I would even consider. I would use this gun strictly to buy time to get away from a criminal. Strategic 2 shot placement from 3 to 8 feet would do the job. Incapacitating the perpetrator is all one can hope to achieve so that you can run for cover and help.

If I had to carry two of these mouse guns I would rather carry my trusted Ruger LCP or even a Sig365. Again, I would only carry. Ranger 2 when the social event prevents me from concealing a more efficient firearm.

Old August 23, 2018, 06:16 PM   #8
GarandTd

I watched a video review of this revolver and the person doing the review inadvertantly hit the lever to break it open at the same time that they tried to pull back the hammer. It didn't break open completely, but it was enough to keep it from firing. It happened multiple times.
Old August 23, 2018, 08:08 PM   #9
YankeeIronSights

That video raises a serious reliability question indeed. However, any firearm can fail to operate if the user mismanages the gun mechanism. With this gun, one cannot index the hammer by dragging the thumb over the top of the frame. Proper technique matters and practice is essential.

Old August 23, 2018, 09:56 PM   #10
TruthTellers

The Sidewinder is more reliable as mishandling the gun during cocking and opening it isn't a possibility.
Old August 24, 2018, 01:08 PM   #11
BeornLS

I'm a big NAA fan and I myself have passed on this Ranger II until they get the problems corrected on it. Not to mention the aforementioned issued of inadvertently opening the latching mechanism under stress.

As others said, best to just buy TWO of the regular NAA minis (with the pin reloading) and use a New York reload.
Old August 24, 2018, 03:10 PM   #12
ncpatriot

What is the appeal of such tiny derringers? Hard to hold, hard to cock and hard to aim and shoot, the few times I have shot them.

Easy to carry and conceal would be only advantages I see. Dinky as it is, I'd rather have my lowly Raven .25 as a backup pocket gun. I can hold it much more securely than one of these.
Old August 24, 2018, 08:31 PM   #13
Dave Chuppa

Fun to play with but I don’t carry mine. I can carry a J-Frame just as easy. Infact I can carry Two J-Frames easily. If it came to reloading I can also load the J-Frame a lot easier and faster. I doubt if your in a situation you probably would ever have to reload. The J-Frame is also a lot easier to shoot.
Old August 25, 2018, 11:03 PM   #14
franco45

I have a Sidewinder in my pocket right now. I carry it around the house or sometimes when I go to the gym. I also carry it or one of my other minis as a bug. I actually have 3 NAA minis. They're fun
Old August 26, 2018, 09:15 PM   #15
claydoctor

Be aware that tolerances are so tight on some NAA guns, as to make them very ammo sensitive. When I bought my .22 Mag Pug, I was sold a box of Winchester shells. One shot from the gun would lock it up, due to the empty shell backing up. When I contacted NAA, they were pretty casual about it, informing me that they had heard of that happening before. They suggested I use CCI ammunition, which does work fine. I advise anyone using one of these guns for personal defense, which really is their only application, to test fire it first to make sure it works with their ammo.
Old August 28, 2018, 08:30 PM   #16
Dave T

Quote:
I watched a video review of this revolver and the person doing the review inadvertantly hit the lever to break it open at the same time that they tried to pull back the hammer. It didn't break open completely, but it was enough to keep it from firing. It happened multiple times.
I wondered about that the first time I saw a picture of this thing. Sounds like a poor choice for anything but a toy.

Dave
Old August 31, 2018, 12:54 PM   #17
HisSoldier

I want one for it's own sake, it's such a small package and simultaneously ingeniously designed, and yes it would make a very nice back up especially with the western type grips fitted to it and longer barrel. But I'm having a hard time finding one to buy! Have any of you guys found any for sale yet?
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old August 31, 2018, 01:06 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

While the top break version is neat, the size is getting up there near P32/P3AT territory.
NAA has kept making bigger versions of the original .22 short mini revolver. Some of them border on ridiculous.
Old August 31, 2018, 05:02 PM   #19
Carmady

Quote:
NAA has kept making bigger versions of the original .22 short mini revolver.
Like this?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/780791752
Old August 31, 2018, 06:45 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

Yes.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:54 PM   #21
TruthTellers

The Minimaster is actually really good. It's light as a feather, yet I can hit a 6 or 8 inch plate at 50 yards with it repeatedly.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:26 AM   #22
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
While the top break version is neat, the size is getting up there near P32/P3AT territory.
NAA has kept making bigger versions of the original .22 short mini revolver. Some of them border on ridiculous.
.22 magnum is much more effective than .32 ACP FWIW and I'd rather have 5 for sure than 8 maybe.
Old September 1, 2018, 01:14 AM   #23
Bill DeShivs

I don't know that .22 magnum from a 1-1/2" barrel is more effective.
What .22 magnum does best in little pistols is LOUD!
And a single action pistol is a handicap.
Old September 1, 2018, 11:01 AM   #24
Dave T

It's s toy (something to play with) and I bet it will be sold more for that reason than as a serious defensive revolver.

Before anyone posts it, no I don't want to be shot with one but that doesn't make it a good choice for self defense. And yes, out of a 1-1/2" barrel the 22 Magnum is mostly loud.

Dave
Old September 1, 2018, 03:00 PM   #25
Bill DeShivs

Don't get me wrong- I love the little NAA guns. I have a couple in .22 short, and may buy a LR model if I run across one. I make custom grips for them.
I think every gun aficionado should own- just because they are so cute!