The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 30, 2018, 04:00 PM   #1
joeranger

Raise red dot to match magnifier?

On my short range AR, I have my red dot "dialed in" but at short range 25m. . My long range AR is good for, well, long range.

I found a UTG "Flip to side" magnifier. These take a beating here. Best suited for airsoft or 22lr, yes, that is why they are cheaper.

Here is my question. Does it matter if the magnifier is cheap if the red dot is solid? One of the opinions online was that even if you need some help seeing where the shots went, it is worth it.

SO, Do I try to raise the red dot a few millimeters to have it line up with the magnifier? That seems wrong and might not be possible. It works, but just looks a "little off" on the sight picture.

Please don't suggest expensive options. I will just dump the $75 magnifier and use the perfectly good red dot.
Old July 30, 2018, 04:23 PM   #2
MTT TL

Depends upon what is going on. The magnifier should be lined up and look correct although the dot will look bigger.

I know UTG makes some really cheap stuff. You may be having parallax issues which should be no surprise. Without looking I can't tell.
Old July 31, 2018, 04:14 PM   #3
joeranger

It turns out to be a non issue. I moved the magnifier back a bit so my eye is closer to the lens. Not a good idea on a larger caliber rifle but the AR doesn't kick much.
...and yes, the dot is bigger