The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 28, 2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Some International takes

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...debate/566102/

Argument for a total handgun ban after a recent rampage in Canada

Iceland

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/i...s-2007-n872726

Lots of guns, but no support for the self-defense argument, semis, etc. Strong laws and checks

Interesting comparisons
Old July 28, 2018, 07:15 PM   #2
cslinger

I love the cognitive disconnect in the second article.
“Crime of any kind is rare here”

Ummmmm that has nothing to do with your gun laws sparky. You could be handing out beltfeds as fair prizes and my guess is your needle wouldn’t move one way or the other.

Conversely you could magically make EVERY weapon disappear from Memphis there would still be huge amounts of bashed in skull rock crime. It has to do with the culture / education / opportunities / morals etc.

How about we take St. Louis and move it to Iceland. Me thinks there would still be a wee bit of shenanigans once the animals adapted to the cold.

Not a lot of crime in Vermont either. Which is about the same size etc.

These “countries” making statements have no idea how HUGE and diverse the US is. I could point you to lots of US locations the size of Iceland with similar crime levels.
Old July 28, 2018, 07:19 PM   #3
FITASC

Canada, like the US, and most of Europe, is a heterogeneous society, trying to fit too many cultures into one place. Iceland, on the other hand, is basically homogeneous. All one needs to do is to look at the US, especially a century ago, where folks from a particular country emigrated and stayed together. Too many different cultures, whether gun, religious, economic, racial, or whatever, when placed together, WILL clash contrary to the Progressives' wish to hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Therefore a country like Iceland, small population basically all the same, will get along a lot better than large populations with ideas/beliefs that are diametrically opposed.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 28, 2018, 09:56 PM   #4
blackwidowp61

I think it would be kind of fun to transplant Chicago over to Iceland. Oh what fun that would be! I don't know if the Icelanders could get them to hold hands, much less sing Kumbaya. But then again, what a boost in the tax base!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old July 28, 2018, 10:06 PM   #5
TXAZ

Being very aware of the specifics of an interview done by theatlantic in 2016 (and recorded by the person being interviewed), then compared with the subsequent article that was written, it’s very fair to say theatlantic knowingly published an article that was patently fraudulent.
Why would I believe anything about their Canadian article?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; July 28, 2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old July 29, 2018, 12:04 PM   #6
DaleA

TXAZ do you remember any details of that Atlantic piece? I'd be very interested in it.

Note: I have no trouble believing what you said, in fact I called them out here on a hit piece they did about the horrific wounds an assault weapon causes and why assault weapons need to be banned. (As though those rounds fired from a bolt or lever action would be any less horrific.)
Old July 29, 2018, 12:58 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

The assorted idiot politicians in Toronto and other cities have tried this before. The country as a whole is not debating any such idiocy.
Wendy Cukier(AKA Kookie Wendy) is an illegal lobbyist who has been at the public trough for over 30 years. She represents nobody. I've asked her personally how many members her club has and she cannot or will not answer.
Oh and The Atlantic is American. Owned and operated by the Emerson Collective.