The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 16, 2011, 05:35 AM   #26
Doc Hoy

I don't think...

...even Cabela's knows when the Cabela's sale will end. The people who answer the phone when you call them, will only say that the sale will run until the supply is exhausted.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:47 AM   #27
Bill Akins

Here's a prime example for newbies of what to steer away from.

Go to this link and read the description for this 1863 baby Remy.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=214546000

Notice how the seller said...."THIS GUN IS IN MINT CONDITION, NOT A MARK ON IT. 100% EXCELLENT IN EVERY WAY"

Yet even without blowing the photos up, I can clearly see at least some ringing on the cylinder and dings on the leading edges of the cylinder slots. Nothing that it wouldn't get from normal usage, but hardly mint condition and definitely with marks on it. So seller's description was untrue.

Then notice seller charges $25.00 for shipping and insur. But you could send that tiny BP revolver in a USPO "if it fits it ships" box for about $5.00 and insurance is usually only about $1.00 per hundred of insurance. So that means shipping really only costs the seller about $7.00, so he is making an extra $18.00 profit by overcharging for shipping.

Then there's the fact that Cabelas has this revolver on sale right now for $200.00 and this used, ringed and dinged one is already up to $180.75 by bidders who don't know any better. That's why I'm posting this example so newbies here WILL know better.

Sure it has a little holster with it that you wouldn't get with the one at Cabelas. But that doesn't make up for the untrue description and overcharged shipping costs.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 16, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old February 16, 2011, 06:54 AM   #28
Hawg

I wouldn't call it ringed and dinged. Yeah it's been turned a time or two but methinks you're splitting hairs on the description. There's nothing about the condition of the gun that would put me off and if it was cheap enough to offset the shipping I'd go for it if I wanted one.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:02 AM   #29
Bill Akins

Hawg, a brand new one at Cabelas is on sale right now for $200.00 so this one ISN'T cheap enough to offset the overcharged shipping fees.
and this one is already up to $180.75 and may go higher by bidders who don't know any better. By buying a new one from Cabelas if anything was wrong with it you could take it back even if it took you a month before you discovered a problem with it. With this one you get a 3 day inspection and if problems, have to pay to ship it back and then wait and hope the seller sends your money back.

And it isn't the slight ring and cylinder slot dings on the cylinder. I acknowledged in my post that you would get that very fast from just normal operating.

It's the fact that the seller said it was "mint condition" and "didn't have a mark on it" and also overcharges (A LOT) for shipping. That's what is the point and that's what I was warning newbies to watch out for. If a seller is untrue with the description and then ALSO overcharges a lot on shipping, that is an example of one for newbies to learn to steer away from.
"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".

Last edited by Bill Akins; February 16, 2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:26 AM   #30
olmontanaboy

I like the Uberti better, I've had the Pietta Remingtons and Colts as well as the Ubertis. I don't care for the stampings Pietta uses on the barrels, also the newer Ubertis use forged frames. I know cast steel is strong enough for black powder but I like the fact that the Ubertis are forged anyway. The Ubertis are about 1/3 more in cost but it's worth it to me. Neither are perfect.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:32 AM   #31
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, a brand new one at Cabelas is on sale right now for $200.00 so this one ISN'T cheap enough to offset the overcharged shipping fees.
I understand that, its why I said if.
Old February 16, 2011, 07:43 AM   #32
Bill Akins

Ya got me there Hawg. Now if Bill Clinton was here, he'd be saying "It's all according to what your definition of "IF" is."

Old February 16, 2011, 09:28 AM   #33
Doc Hoy

My contribution at this point is very minimal

I only want to register my agreement with Bill on the point of the shipping.

A Walker can be shipped to any ZIP code for 15.00 including $400.00 in insurance. In conus it will arrive in two to three days.

For those sellers who want to make more on their revolvers, tack it onto the price of the revolver. Don't hide it in the shipping.

OR

If the shipping really costs $30.00. provide an enhancement in the shipping that makes it worth twice the price. For example - "$30.00 Overnight" Having to drive to the post office is not valid, because the letter carrier will pick up flat rate boxes for no charge. And flat rate boxes can be order and delivered to the sender's door for free.

Many consider only the final cost of the revolver including the charge for shipping which of course is a very valid approach and one I do not propose to criticize in any way. To me it is the principle of the thing.
Old February 16, 2011, 11:28 PM   #34
Bill Akins

That used and lightly ringed and lightly dinged 1863 baby Remy on gunbroker that I warned about sold for $211.00 plus $25.00 shipping, total= $236.00
when a brand new unused, unringed, undinged one is on sale at Cabelas for $200.00 plus tax. Go figure. It's bidders not knowing any better. Hopefully with all the good advice at this forum, that won't happen to our members.

Old February 17, 2011, 01:32 AM   #35
Hylander

So I went to a local Stealer that had 2 brand new Traditions Piettas.
Are the ones sold under Traditions seconds ?
I ask because they where not well made at all :barf:
One was a 5.5' .36 cal 1858, other was a Brass framed 8" 1858
On both; Actions were stiff and sticky, Wood to metel fit was bad, Ramrod levers were stiff and the end of the plungers were they contact the balls was rough and contacted the Cylinders, Blueing was not great.
Pistol's when cocked, the hammers would not always catch, then when you pulled the trigger they were sluggish to fire.
Maybe these were NOS
Now I'm leaning back to the Uberti
Old February 17, 2011, 02:33 AM   #36
arcticap

Every company makes a percentage of lemons, seconds & booboos.
Even Midway recently sold some Uberti factory refurb's. that were probably from their warranty repair dept.
There wouldn't be any refurb's if there weren't some returns or booboos to begin with.
Old February 17, 2011, 12:44 PM   #37
WyomingWhitetail

well i ordered a 58 from cabela's last night. wanted one for a long time and it finally occurred to me to just buy the darn thing. My dad has a 60 army that he bought a long time ago from cabela's that is a blast to shoot. Can't wait till the 58 gets hear. i got the pistol and a starter kit for 249 plus shipping which i figured was good since right now i don't have any black powder stuff like powder measures or flasks. So do .454 round balls generally shoot well out these pistols or do most get better results with .457 balls?
Old February 17, 2011, 01:04 PM   #38
Doc Hoy

WW

The set will get you started but you will still need powder and caps.

Don't forget hearing and eye protection (Which you probably already have.)
Old February 17, 2011, 01:30 PM   #39
WyomingWhitetail

yea i need to find caps and powder. this stupid town doesn't have any sporting goods stores so ill have to go to the next town over to find some triple f or pyrodex or something.
Old February 17, 2011, 01:38 PM   #40
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyomingWhitetail
So do .454 round balls generally shoot well out these pistols or do most get better results with .457 balls?
With the Pietta 1858's, I think that it's split about 50/50 between using .451 and .454 balls.
The .451 balls will have the smallest of a lead ring shaved from them on loading.
Using a loading press makes the loading of larger balls easier.
Accuracy may be a little better with the larger .454 balls at the sacrifice of loading ease.
Then there are inexpensive loading stands that hold the revolver upright while being loaded.
The Uberti's tend to favor loading the larger .454 & .457 balls.
The Ruger Old Army uses .457 balls.

Last edited by arcticap; February 17, 2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old February 17, 2011, 02:50 PM   #41
Doc Hoy

I find that

When I cast .454s I actually get somewhere between .454 and .4555. I find this is true almost no matter what I am using in the way of metal. I have heard of shrinkage of the balls as they cool down but if this is the case, they seem not to be shrinking to the stamped size of the molds I am using. .451 gives me bullets up to .453 and .457 molds produce up to .458 or perhaps even higher. I am using a tightwad's digital caliper but my measurements with that tool comport with a Starret micrometer.

I think the kit has .451s.

Hope this is not viewed as hijacking the thread.
Old February 17, 2011, 06:06 PM   #42
Hylander

Well I went back to the loacal shop tht has the Uberti.
Gave it a real good going over, it seems perfect in every way
I'm going to go back Saturday and Measure the Chambers, if they measure correct, I may have to bring it home
Old February 17, 2011, 10:52 PM   #43
Hylander

Change in plans
Just ordered a Pietta 1858 from Cabelas
Shows it is in stock, so I should have it by the end of next week or so.
Thanks for all the input, I may still have to go buy the Uberti as well
Old February 18, 2011, 04:42 AM   #44
Doc Hoy

Good Hylander

I personally think that is the optimum solution. Two revolvers is always better than one.
Old February 18, 2011, 08:52 AM   #45
poppa59hd

Won't be disappointed

Personally, I don't think you'd do wrong with either a Uberti or a Pietta. Most of the re-enactors I know seem to favor the Pietta. Why? No real definitive answer, there. I just know if there were one of each on a table, same price, same condition, they would grab the Pietta, first. I have 4 '58 Remingtons (3 Pietta, 1 Uberti) for a cavalry impression I do. Remingtons seem to be the pistol of choice amoung re-enactors since extra loaded cyclinders can be carried and changed out pretty quickly, even on the back of a horse. Some sutlers are even selling a belt holder for extra cylinders. Early speedloaders? The '60 Colt was generally issue for Yankees early in the war even though a lot of Remingtons were sold, too. The Remington became standard issue after
Colts got so expensive about mid-war. Yankees used what they were issued (or bought on their own) and Confederates used what they took from the Yankees. Both the Colts and Remingtons are fun to shoot, but I sorta like the backstrap on the Remington. Seems like a better idea, to me. I suppose that's why Colt began using it on their '73 pistols. Visually, the '60 Colt is the winner, hands down. It just looks good. The stainless is a god's send for b/p pistol shooters, especially the lazier ones. I know numerous re-enactors who have purchased stainless revolvers, then blued or GunKoted them so as to not look too "farby". Wish I woulda done that!
Always remember...............
Yankees-1 Confederates-0 Halftime
Old February 18, 2011, 09:49 AM   #46
olmontanaboy

Quote:
So I went to a local Stealer that had 2 brand new Traditions Piettas.
Are the ones sold under Traditions seconds ?
I ask because they where not well made at all
One was a 5.5' .36 cal 1858, other was a Brass framed 8" 1858
On both; Actions were stiff and sticky, Wood to metel fit was bad, Ramrod levers were stiff and the end of the plungers were they contact the balls was rough and contacted the Cylinders, Blueing was not great.
Pistol's when cocked, the hammers would not always catch, then when you pulled the trigger they were sluggish to fire.
Quote:
Well I went back to the loacal shop tht has the Uberti.
Gave it a real good going over, it seems perfect in every way
Quote:
Change in plans
Just ordered a Pietta 1858 from Cabelas
Shows it is in stock, so I should have it by the end of next week or so.
I would have thought you would go with the Uberti you were able to inspect in person, I hate mail order as I admit to being rather picky. The great thing about buying from Cabelas is if your not satisified with the Pietta you can get your cash back. Good luck with 1858 these are great fun
Old February 18, 2011, 10:52 AM   #47
Hylander

Quote:
I would have thought you would go with the Uberti you were able to inspect in person, I hate mail order as I admit to being rather picky. The great thing about buying from Cabelas is if your not satisified with the Pietta you can get your cash back. Good luck with 1858 these are great fun
I was all set to go with the Uberti, but I traded a scope for a Cabelas gift card, SOoooooo I'm almost no money out of pocket
I too am very picky and don't really like ordering a gun Online, but hearing Cabelas return policy makes me feel better.
Old February 18, 2011, 01:56 PM   #48
Model-P

There's just something good and American feeling about getting a gun in the mail

I hope this weather clears up by the time you get it.
Old February 18, 2011, 03:01 PM   #49
arcticap

The Pietta replacement cylinders are also much less expensive.
In the event of a return, Cabela's probably wouldn't replace a gift card with cash though. Maybe a store credit or another gift card for all I know.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:34 AM   #50
sewerman

you can't beat cabelas.

$199.99 ea and at the time i got free shipping!

plus cabelas has a good reputation for customer satifaction.

S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!