The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 23, 2018, 03:43 AM   #76
Model12Win

9mm Makarov accidental discharge when I was drunk and playing around with it. Shocked at how quiet it was. I even remember snapping my fingers next to my ears and the snaps didn’t seem dull or like my hearing was suffering one bit. Sounded at most like a small firecracker.
Old October 9, 2018, 05:57 PM   #77
Vesuvius Curmudgeon

I had to er - 'dispatch' a neighbor's cat once.

It got into the fan and belts on my wife's Astro Van and it lost most of it's left hind foot, it's tail and had serious mutilation of it's ears.

It hid - yowling really loudly - under my low-boy fifth wheel trailer and I crawled under it to get a good bead on the cat --->and hopefully a single shot to kill it as quickly as possible.

As the trigger started moving, I had that brief thought that this was gonna be L O U D!

It was very loud. My head rang for days.

The neighbor was OK with it since there was no choice for the poor thing. It was a very pretty white, very fluffy cat. <sniff>
Old October 11, 2018, 08:21 PM   #78
hemiram

I shot a .22LR in my bedroom one night. It was late, I had been up for over 36 hours, and cleaned the gun, put the magazine in it, racked the slide and pulled the trigger. It was louder than I thought possible, but no worse than this guy yelling in the car everytime,and I mean every single time, I put my car in park. A lot of lungpower and that giant head made for a lot of noise..
Old October 12, 2018, 03:20 PM   #79
Don P

Yep, and it's damn loud
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 15, 2018, 09:22 PM   #80
Auto5

If you fire a short barrel .357 in a dark room , you'd better hit your target with the first round cuz your gonna be blind and deaf for awhile afterward.
Old October 15, 2018, 10:46 PM   #81
blackwidowp61

hemiram...is it possible that he's really, really happy that you are done driving??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFCrJleggrI
Old October 17, 2018, 11:35 PM   #82
405FileFound

I HAD an Accidental Disch two yrs ago with a 38 spl in my apt. The Cat jumped on me as I was unloading my J-frame to do some dry firing. At the crucial moment, the rounds tumbled out but the one closest to the frame got (as I figured out later) stopped by the cylinder guard thingy. That was the round that was farthest from... eh so I did some dry firing and BLAMO! shot a hole in a wall. Wow, that totally sucked. Nothing a movie poster can't cover up!! I had owned the cat for just a few days by then and I was getting used to her hopping all over me. It coulda been worse. :/ I've never been that lax
Old October 20, 2018, 05:46 AM   #83
PushPuller

One time me and a couple of buddies were cruising around some property that we frequently shot and had bonfires at, and I for whatever reason went to shoot my AK47 out the window..... I only fired once and will never do that again. All four of us were instantly in a half deaf daze and I got the brass to the face after it bounced around the cab.
Old October 20, 2018, 10:37 AM   #84
Drm50

I got a job on a surveying crew when I started college. Company was very good
as far as scheduling your hours to school. But this put the binders on hunting
season you couldn't have everything. Any way we were laying out a new plant
site in a river bottom full of scrub woods. There were 4 of us in a jeep station
wagon. I had a S&W m58 41mg with me and told guys I would shoot a deer if
I got the chance. We pulled in the site and the fog was so thick you couldn't see
to front of the hood. The party chief was driving, I was shotgun and other 2 guys
in back seat. Waiting out the fog older guys were taking a little nap. I was about
to nod off myself when deer appeared right beside the jeep. Not 10' away. Wing
window was open so I shot nearest deer a spike with the 41 mag. Had no choice
of deer because of angle of wing window. The blast was horrendous. We couldn't
here for 5 minutes. To say other guys got a rude awakening is putting it mildly.
Old October 20, 2018, 10:48 AM   #85
TXAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto5 View Post
If you fire a short barrel .357 in a dark room , you'd better hit your target with the first round cuz your gonna be blind and deaf for awhile afterward.
That sir, is probably the most insightful comment made on this thread, if not the entire board!
(And is probably true for most firearms)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes