The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 25, 2019, 12:12 PM   #26
JERRYS.

I've owned two Taurus stainless .22 magnum revolvers (one was a 2" the other 4"), two model 85s (blued standard and the other was stainless DAO concealed hammer), and a model 850 cia Ti. all of them were older guns and all were top quality. my only gripe with Taurus of today is if you have a lemon, they will charge you shipping and take a few calendar pages to fix it if they do fix it.

Last edited by JERRYS.; May 28, 2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old May 25, 2019, 01:27 PM   #27
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
I will be interested to hear. So far I haven't seen anything bad about these, other than the usual reflexive "Euuu, Taurus!".

Taurus... I’ve heard people give them praise. My father bought a Judge, against my recommendation, and it was working itself out of timing. Sold it to a range, and put they money towards a USP40 Compact... which I put an LEM trigger in for him.

That limited experience with them, I’ll go S&W or Ruger. Nobody should follow my opinion on them, but that’s where I stand on it.

Best of luck, though.
Old May 25, 2019, 01:41 PM   #28
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
Taurus... I’ve heard people give them praise. My father bought a Judge, against my recommendation, and it was working itself out of timing. Sold it to a range, and put they money towards a USP40 Compact... which I put an LEM trigger in for him.

That limited experience with them, I’ll go S&W or Ruger. Nobody should follow my opinion on them, but that’s where I stand on it.

Best of luck, though.
I would too, but I've been seeing stories lately of iffy quality control from both. And I'm at about week 7 of waiting on a repair from S&W, with really minimal communication from them.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 25, 2019, 02:14 PM   #29
Nanuk

Quote:
I would too, but I've been seeing stories lately of iffy quality control from both. And I'm at about week 7 of waiting on a repair from S&W, with really minimal communication from them.
Have you tried factory repair from Taurus? Months.......... S&W is also American made/owned.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old June 2, 2019, 01:33 PM   #30
chaim

As for the recent Taurus posts, I am a bit guarded and I'm not getting my hopes too high yet. I know their customer service sucks, and if it wasn't such a niche gun for me I probably wouldn't chance it. Still, I figure my chances are pretty decent I'll get a good one, and eventually they'll get it right if I don't. I'm actually pretty glad I went Taurus. Since my last post, two of my tires needed replaced (and tires for my car are NOT cheap). I seem to be bleeding money lately (if the tires went before I bought the gun, I would have waited).

That said, I got a call late last week that the gun was in. With all the stuff with the move, I wasn't able to get to the store Thurs or Fri, and they are closed on the weekend. I'll have to get there tomorrow to pay the balance, take a look over the gun, and start the paperwork to start the MD waiting period (I've been waiting a week for the gun already, but the "cooling off period" doesn't start until I do the paperwork, which I can't do until the gun is in the dealer's hands- ugh).
Old June 5, 2019, 09:38 PM   #31
MillCreek

I have several Taurus revolvers, most of them bought in the early and mid-2000's, and all of them have been flawless for me. I wish they would bring back the Total Titanium revolvers, since I would like to get a couple more. I recently bought a couple of .357 Protector Poly that I am using for my outdoor recreation; they are lighter than the Ruger SP-101 they replaced.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old June 15, 2019, 12:24 PM   #32
AreYaSerious

I vote the Taurus 851, cause I personally think Taurus revolvers are the best value and just as reliable as the next. Especially as a back up.
Old June 15, 2019, 02:18 PM   #33
chaim

Quote:
I vote the Taurus 851, cause I personally think Taurus revolvers are the best value and just as reliable as the next. Especially as a back up.
I went with the Taurus 856. I disagree that they are just as reliable as the next, but from what I see, most of the time if you get a good one it will stay that way (it is mainly a QC issue, letting things out that should not have been allowed out of the factory). So, I should know within the first couple hundred rounds.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my 856 yet (or my Colt King Cobra), with the move and the end of the school year (I'm a teacher) I haven't had time to do anything for fun lately. I did pick up my 856 from the dealer last week.

Fit and finish isn't as good as my new King Cobra or the S&Ws I've had for a while, but it isn't bad. The trigger is quite good for a small frame snub (Taurus somehow always seems to do small frame triggers better than S&W J-frames). I've been dry firing the heck out of it and I'm already seeing the trigger smooth out a bit more. I thought I'd probably want to swap out the grips right away, but dry firing it, I'm finding they fit my hands about perfectly. They fill my hand well, the little extra piece under the frame gives me a spot for my pinky, yet they don't interfere with concealment when in my pocket. I'm hoping it will make the gun relatively comfortable for a 15oz small frame revolver. I wasn't sure about the color combo I went with, but I'm very happy I went with it (two-tone blue and black). The black barrel and front sight against the blue frame and sight channel contrast quite nicely. With the price, I definitely can see myself also picking up the CH version in burnt orange if it turns out to be reliable. The only negative so far is that the black finish doesn't seem to be very durable: I already have a pronounced cylinder drag line after just a few hours of dry firing

Last edited by chaim; June 15, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old June 15, 2019, 06:44 PM   #34
osbornk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim View Post
I went with the Taurus 856. I disagree that they are just as reliable as the next, but from what I see, most of the time if you get a good one it will stay that way (it is mainly a QC issue, letting things out that should not have been allowed out of the factory). So, I should know within the first couple hundred rounds.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my 856 yet (or my Colt King Cobra), with the move and the end of the school year (I'm a teacher) I haven't had time to do anything for fun lately. I did pick up my 856 from the dealer last week.

Fit and finish isn't as good as my new King Cobra or the S&Ws I've had for a while, but it isn't bad. The trigger is quite good for a small frame snub (Taurus somehow always seems to do small frame triggers better than S&W J-frames). I've been dry firing the heck out of it and I'm already seeing the trigger smooth out a bit more. I thought I'd probably want to swap out the grips right away, but dry firing it, I'm finding they fit my hands about perfectly. They fill my hand well, the little extra piece under the frame gives me a spot for my pinky, yet they don't interfere with concealment when in my pocket. I'm hoping it will make the gun relatively comfortable for a 15oz small frame revolver. I wasn't sure about the color combo I went with, but I'm very happy I went with it (two-tone blue and black). The black barrel and front sight against the blue frame and sight channel contrast quite nicely. With the price, I definitely can see myself also picking up the CH version in burnt orange if it turns out to be reliable. The only negative so far is that the black finish doesn't seem to be very durable: I already have a pronounced cylinder drag line after just a few hours of dry firing
I have a 856. It shoots great and mine is finished as well as any other gun I have ever had. It is accurate and feels really good in my hand. Mine is the 22 ounce steel one and I am very happy with it.
Old July 13, 2019, 08:17 PM   #35
Buckeye!

Charter Police Bulldog 6 Shot 38spl .. 20 OZ basically Colt D size , but lighter.

Charter is offering a $25.00 rebate and your choice of a T-Shirt or hat ... Great customer service!!!!

Last edited by Buckeye!; July 13, 2019 at 08:23 PM.