The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 26, 2017, 08:14 PM   #1
HankC1

AR ejection port brass deflector shelve height

I notice DPMS 308 Gen 2 receiver has brass deflector ramps down to ejection port almost with no "shelve" (step) while standard 223 AR upper brass deflector front edge stands up from the port with a shelve (step) almost 1/4" high. Ejected brass hits the "shelve", bounces forward and sometimes cause stovepipe jam. I have one AR, brass always hits the deflector front edge, the shelve, and ejects forward. Many would say it is due to over gas, heavier buffer will cure it. I use heavier buffer and extra power recoil spring and still eject forward at around 2 o'clock while bolt no longer locks up on the last round! Some may say it is weak ejector, I swap BCGs and does not matter! It is not really a big deal, but I have to wonder why that shelve has to be there! The brass ejection pattern will be much better if the deflector front edge blends in like the DPMS GEN 2! Any reason not to file the front edge down to reduce the shelve height and blend in to the port? Even rounding off the edge should help the ejection pattern and also help preventing dented brass!

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content...08-660x438.jpg
Old June 27, 2017, 05:22 PM   #2
bfoosh006

Common solution is to adhere some Velcro ( the fuzzy face ) to the surface.