The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 27, 2002, 08:44 AM   #1
kehrby

How to talk my brother in-law out of his gun!

Many years ago I owned what I feel was the finest shotgun I ever had. Bought it brand new when I was 17 years old and loved it for years. 20 ga. Remington Wingmaster. 28 in. vented rib barrel. Like an idiot I sold it one week soon after my wife and I were married just because I thought I needed money to eat or something stupid like that. Anyway, now I found out that one of my brothers in-law has a beautiful 20ga. Wingmaster identical to my old one but he will not sell it to me. He isn't even a gun nut. Says that it was his grandfathers gun. Well after some questions I found out that his grandfather bought it one year to go deer hunting, put maybe 2 boxes of slugs through it and never shot it again. His grandpas' main gun was an old s/s 12 guage which he also has. Now, how do I get the 20?
Old July 27, 2002, 09:42 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Save his life(G)....
Old July 27, 2002, 09:55 AM   #3
C.R.Sam

Outlive him.

Sam
Old July 27, 2002, 11:01 AM   #4
Guyon

Replace it with an 870 Express. If he's not a gun nut, maybe he won't notice.
Old July 27, 2002, 01:00 PM   #5
PJR

Tough challenge. I've not had much success in talking people out of objects that have a sentimental value attached to them. To him it's not just another 20 gauge Wingmaster. I understand your wanting this gun. I recently borrowed a 20 gauge 870 for a round of skeet and offered to buy it on the spot. They handle much better than the 12s.

I would say to your brother-in-law words along these lines, "I understand you don't want to sell that gun and respect your reasons. However, should you change your mind at any time, I'd like to have the right of first refusal on the gun. I will match and maybe better any other offer you get for it." Then I would let the matter drop and scour the gunshops and shows. There are other 20 gauge Wingmasters out there.

The moral of the story is never sell a shotgun. I've bought and sold rifles and don't miss any of them but I've often regretted selling shotguns even to the point of buying one back (at an inflated price) and replacing a formerly-owned gun with an exact duplicate.
Old July 27, 2002, 02:54 PM   #6
Chang

Well, you could also find one on GunBroker.com. Easy to find stuff there.

http://gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4730962
Heres one for $370, no reserve, auction ends in 3 hours.

Good luck
Old July 27, 2002, 02:58 PM   #7
Chang

BTW, heres one going for $225 right now on GunBroker.com.
http://gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4742291
Old July 27, 2002, 11:16 PM   #8
kehrby

I know I will find another one. This particular gun does have sentimental value to him and I understand that. I just saw it and you know how it is. I suppose I had better leave him alone but I did tell him that if there ever came a time that he wanted to get rid of it I would take it off his hands!