The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old October 21, 2005, 01:28 AM   #51
Blackwater OPS

I would have kept the fork and stabbed him in a few pressure points.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old October 21, 2005, 05:34 AM   #52
Mannlicher

I can throw a knife just fine. Only problem is that I can't hit anything with the pointy end.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 21, 2005, 11:08 AM   #53
biere

Gee, I forget how many times I reground a knife blade to put a point back on the blade. I even got good enough to do it without hurting the temper of the blade.

My best advice is to buy something strong and pointy. My cold steel tanto is good but if buying something to learn on I would go with an estwing hatchet since they are all metal from handle to blade and I would buy a piece of bar or something as well, like a prybar or something with a point on the end.

I never learned how to change turns and what not, I sort of started throwing and with changing distances and throwing objects my brain kind of picked up on adjusting how I hold things. As mentioned everything has a balance point and your arm speed changes things as well a bit.

I compare it to how I learned to shoot a bow and arrow in the scouts over 20 years ago. There were no sights on the bow and you just learned how to point shoot the bow through lots of repitition. If you changed the distance and target height you were shooting at a lot you started learning the trajectory of that bow with that weight of arrow.

And I should mention it was darn funny when I got a compound bow with sites on it.

I like being able to throw things. I do it with all sorts of stuff and I won't say I am great at it but when I am throwing a few things every day I get up to around 80% or so I guess. I do lots of yardwork and build things and take things apart. Doing this gives me hammers and pry bars and rebar and shovels and all sorts of stuff to throw around. Mostly when taking a break it is nice to throw my prybar or something somewhere so it is sticking out and noticable when I get back from break.

And someone mentioned throwing stars and I hated those things because I bought the cheap ones and tried to sharpen them.

My dad had all sorts of old tools and never threw anything away so one day while looking through stuff I found some tiny circular saw blades. I believe they are for the original dremal type stuff that came way before the dremel of today.

Anyway these blades were like a circular saw blade but about 4 inches in diameter. So they were like a throwing star but way better made than anything I ever bought as a throwing star. Of course they were also darn dangerous and could tear your hand up if you held it wrong.

I don't plan to ever throw a knife at an opponent or anything else. I just enjoy it as a hobby and skill.
Old October 21, 2005, 11:49 AM   #54
Japle

Blackmind,

I didn't realize that what you meant by "dynamic" was.... "dynamic".

No, I've never tried throwing at anything moving. That would be a tough one.

Most of my throwing has been at targets that were at varying distances. Walk away from the target 4 paces, turn and throw. Then do it at 7 paces, 3 paces, 8, 5, etc. Turn right, left, throw overhand, underhand, backhand. Never could throw across the body, right-to-left. Can't control the release somehow.

John
Old October 21, 2005, 12:27 PM   #55
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And how far up the blade you're holding it when you throw.

I haven't found that to be the case.
I always try for a half flip, and I've found that the further away the target, the further up the blade (towards the hilt) you want to hold it. But I do it for fun. I'm with most others here in believing that knife throwing in combat just isn't practical for anyone except for a very, very few.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 23, 2005, 03:27 PM   #56
Japle

Quote:
I'm with most others here in believing that knife throwing in combat just isn't practical for anyone except for a very, very few.
I totally agree. That's what the main gun is for, followed by the BUG.

John
Old October 23, 2005, 03:37 PM   #57
Eightball

Quote:
I'm with most others here in believing that knife throwing in combat just isn't practical for anyone except for a very, very few.
I'd agree--if you're down to throwing a knife in combat, you have more problems than how to throw it that you need to worry about. It might not be of any value at any time--but it's fun for those of us who can do it .
M1 Carbine, Inland '43
Old October 23, 2005, 05:08 PM   #58
greeneggsnham

I'd be willing to bet that I'd never be able to duplicate that move, and I am very certain that it was as much luck and fate than it was anything else.
Old October 26, 2005, 08:14 PM   #59
the possum

Haven't really practiced it in a while. I could stick 'em about every time with a half rotation throw, but I've never had enough coordination to actually hit what I was aiming at a high percentage of the time. Same thing with baseball.

That said, I've killed several critters over the years by throwing a knife from close range.
Old October 29, 2005, 11:12 PM   #60
SamD

Never could throw a knife.
I am deadly to 40' with a #3 Phillips screwdriver though. They aren't heavy enough for much farther.
Do quite well with a 3 1/2 lb splitting axe or a hatchet to 50-60 feet.
By the way, it does not matter how that 3 1/2 lb hits, edge, top, handle first, you are not getting up.
Sam
Old October 29, 2005, 11:32 PM   #61
coonan357

we were screwing around atwork oneday and where throwing knives at the closet door in the office and I threw my syderco into the door but first when I say into the door I had to cut the door apart to retreive my knife (boss wasn't upset as the door needed to be replaced anyways

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old October 31, 2005, 04:39 PM   #62
Dragun

my partner and i play "darts" with throwing knives in the backroom at our office. he throws by the handle and i the blade. we throw from about 12 feet away. we hung the dartboard on a big sheet of styrofoam insulation so they don't tend to bounce back at us (you'll stab your eye out, kid) on the occasional bad hit. we are both quite accurate.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:50 PM   #63
Larry Herderich

The German Sentry

There is some skepticism about Skeeter Vaughn killing the sentry by throwing the knife. Quite a feat, if it happened.
My father served with Skeeter Vaughn in Germany, and was with him when it did happen. There...a witness. So you can lay your doubts to rest. I've known of this incident for a long time.....they also did alot of other remarkable stuff.
You can put your doubts to rest gentlemen. It happened. Peace to all.
Old February 27, 2009, 07:19 PM   #64
pax

Zombie thread.

pax
Closed Thread