The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 28, 2017, 07:46 AM   #1
rebs

Precision rifle ?

Looking at buying a precision rifle in 308 or 6.5 creedmor. What are your feeling on either a Rugar or Savage ? Does anyone have a scope recommendation for it ?
Old January 28, 2017, 08:10 AM   #2
jmr40

If you don't already own a 308 I think the 6.5 is the better cartridge for this purpose. But not by a wide margin. If you're already set up to hand load for 308 and you don't care about the slightly better performance at long range then a good argument can be made for keeping things simple and just staying with 308. But FWIW, I own 3 different 308's and my next rifle will probably be 6.5 Creed.

I've been pleased with my Ruger Predator 308 and will probably buy the same rifle in 6.5 sometime within the next few months. But that doesn't mean the Savage is a bad choice. Just my personal preference.

Haven't decided on the scope yet for myself, so I won't go there.

Winston Churchill
Old January 28, 2017, 09:38 AM   #3
precision_shooter

I've sold all but one of my .308's and now have 2 rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. A savage 12 LRP with a vortex Vipers PST 6-24x50 scope. The other is my most recent purchase, a Tikka T3X CTR with Burris Veracity 4-20x50 scope. Took the tikka out for the first time last weekend and squeezed off a .492" 5-shot group at 100 yards.

Give Tikka a look as well as the savage and Ruger.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 28, 2017, 09:56 AM   #4
1stmar

Not my game and I hate to start anything but I think 6 creedmore may have a slight edge and is now in ruger pr. I have a bushnell xrs w g2 reticle and it's awesome but expensive. You get a slight accuracy advantage w the savage ruger seems to vary from what I read (.5-.75 or 1") But as I said not my game just an interested reader.
Old January 29, 2017, 11:34 AM   #5
RC20

Are you talking about an RPR or Save PR chaises aka the AR look or just a precisions rifle?

Scopes are awfully varied, so it depends on how far you are planning on shooting.

12 power is fine for 100 yds, 24 for 300 and 400.

Out past that and it cost more.

Night force makes some good ones but far form the only ones out there.

6.5 has a lot going for it. 308 is good, more recoil and gains nothing accuracy wise. I like it but then I like a bigger boom.
Old January 29, 2017, 01:27 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...a precision rifle..." As in a full target rifle or a hunting rifle?
A Ruger Predator is a light weight, hunting rifle. Too light at 6.6 pounds for shooting all day. Other than their new "Precision" rifle(MSRP of $1599), Ruger doesn't make a target rifle. Savage does, but you really need to decide how much money you want to spend first.
And you need to figure out what discipline you want to shoot. Not all of 'em allow scopes.
Old January 30, 2017, 07:15 AM   #7
rebs

I am asking about the Rugar Precision Rifle and the Savage precision Rifle. Both are kind of ARish looking but bolt action, neither have a wood nor laminate stock.
Old January 30, 2017, 12:00 PM   #8
precision_shooter

Tikka T3x TAC A1
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old January 30, 2017, 02:07 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

1925 x 408 pixels is too big a picture.
Neither the Ruger Precision or Savage BA Stealth(their marketing name) come with iron sights. Both can have irons if you're shooting a discipline that doesn't allow scopes. Whole thing is still about your budget though.
The Ruger's MSRP runs $1599. The Savage $1207. Add 5-6 hundred plus for rings and scope. Don't forget shipping and taxes.
And there's nothing that says you can't hunt with a target rifle. The Ruger's a bit heavier at 10.7 pounds vs the 9.2 for the Savage. Won't matter in a blind though.
Old February 1, 2017, 04:26 PM   #10
Beentown71

I went Savage Stealth and am happy after switching the stock. Why they chose the FAB is beyond me. I went Luth MBA-3. Was going to post a pic of the rifle and some groups but Photobucket is fighting me.

I looked into a Tikka and mags were outrageous. The RPR was going for above MSRP. While the Savage doesn't look as nice to me it makes up for it in accuracy.

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old February 2, 2017, 12:50 PM   #11
precision_shooter

Beentown, you paid the higher price for a 10BA stealth then replaced the chassis/stock? Why not just buy a model 10 in a flavor/barrel length you like and then buy a chassis?
Old February 2, 2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Beentown71

Quote:
Originally Posted by precision_shooter View Post
Beentown, you paid the higher price for a 10BA stealth then replaced the chassis/stock? Why not just buy a model 10 in a flavor/barrel length you like and then buy a chassis?
Nope, just the stock. Chassis stayed, it is quite nice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old February 2, 2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Beentown71

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old February 3, 2017, 01:51 PM   #14
Rob62

Well, since we are showing off our "Long Range" shooters.

Here is something that will not break the bank. It starts with a basic Remington 700 SPS with heavy 26" barrel chambered in .308 Win. Then we hand lap the bore.

Then added on as finances allowed (in no certain order):

HS Precision Pro Series vertical pistol grip stock,

Leupold VARI -X III, 6.5x20x50 matte finish with target turrets scope, fine Duplex reticle,

EGW 15 MOA scope base with Burris Tactical Scope Rings (rings also hand lapped)

Williams brand - steel bottom metal,

Timney #510 trigger.

It will do whatever a much more expensive fully custom rifle will.

Lastly, if your choices are strictly between a Ruger and Savage brand gun. I would get the Savage without hesitation.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem 700 sps_custom.jpg (48.0 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Rob62; February 3, 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old February 3, 2017, 04:36 PM   #15
Huffmanite

Don't own either one, but do shoot fairly regularly with gents that own both rifles. Seem all own one in the 6.5 creedmore. Whether its a Ruger or Savage, their owners (more own the Ruger) seem to be quite happy with them. Both brands have been accurate out of the box.

Only complaint I've heard was about the Ruger. Its owners tell me their rifles copper foul. Mind you, they say the copper fouling is not bad, but more than they expected when the rifle has a 5R rifling in the barrel.
Old February 4, 2017, 08:08 AM   #16
rebs

Rob that is a great looking rifle.
I am leaning towards the Savage
Old February 4, 2017, 08:56 AM   #17
MarkCO

Savage, Winchester, Tikka, Ruger, Remington all have "ARish" adjustable stock precision rigs in the $1000 to $1500 range. Yes, Ruger started it, but I am not sure that some of the follow-ons might not be better in some respects.

Don't waste any time or money on .308 unless you want to shoot in a Tactical class where it is required. A 6.5 or 6 is where it is at. Better ballistics, less recoil, less finicky with ammo and cost is the same or less. A 6.5 will give you a little better barrel life if you run loads near max, a 6 will give you a little less recoil.

Owning 2 RPRs, I would look hard at the Tikka or Savage if I was going to buy one today. Not sure that the new AI mag fed Savage is available yet, but it is impressive and has 5R rifling.