The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2016, 05:29 PM   #1
TonyNT

Moss. 930 vs 11-87

Hello all. First time poster, long time reader.

I am looking for a new semi auto shotgun. My first semi auto was an older Lanber, but it has proven to be excessively picky with loads. I am planning to trade it in and get a new one.

I will be mostly hunting and at the skeet/trap range. I already have an o/u and pump that I like, and would like a solid, reliable semi auto in 12, able to take 3" shells, and, of course, not break my bank. Benelli SBE2 feels great, but I'm not keen on paying that price.

A store I'm working at has a Moss 930 at a very reasonable price, and while I know the company and have read good things, I don't know anyone who has purchased one.

The other option in my price range would to be to order an 11-87, but I have read less kind things on that model, though a buddy of mine liked his before he went benelli. What is TFL's opinion on the matter?
Old February 5, 2016, 06:51 PM   #2
jmr40

If you want a gas operated gun buy the Remington. Mossberg builds a decent pump action, but they haven't perfected their semi's. The 930 is their best effort to date, but not in the same league as Remington.

If I were interested in a gas operated gun a Beretta would be my 1st choice, but the 1100/11-87 platform is a very good 2nd choice for a lot less money. I too made the switch to Benelli. Not that there was anything wrong with the Remington, I just found I prefer the inertia operated guns. They are much simpler to operate and work better when filthy. They run about 1/2 lb lighter too.
Old February 5, 2016, 11:08 PM   #3
Virginian

I much prefer the Remington, but I know a guy with a 930 and so far he likes it - second year. I've shot it and didn't love the feel, but it did work.
Old February 6, 2016, 09:44 AM   #4
TonyNT

I appreciate the replies, and I am looking for an 11-87 to get my hands on for feel.

To throw a wrench into my own discussion, what about the Turkish SKB IS300? The store has one, and my cost would be similar to the other two.

I am skittish about Turkish guns overall, and this is the first venture I've seen into inertia guns from the country. Also, I am unfamiliar with modern SKB as a company. Any opinions on this one?
Old February 6, 2016, 10:04 AM   #5
FITASC

Like every other gun maker, the various Turk companies make guns to particular price points. Their hjgher-end ones are very well done and their bargain basement ones are no different than the ones made here, or in China, Brazil, etc.

You haven't said what your budget is, but if a new Beretta gas gun is too expensive, perhaps a nice used one might fill the bill. I'd be looking and asking at all of the local skeet/trap clubs in your area, placing a WTB ad on their bulletin board, and then SHOOTING them to see which ones fit you the best and you like the best.

Good luck!

Taking a quick look online, Rem 1100s seem to have a wide price range, but the basic models are running about $500.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 6, 2016, 12:02 PM   #6
DeuceTrinal

Beretta A300 gets a ton of recommendations on the clay shooting forums right now. Similar pricing to a 11-87, more modern design. Very much worth a look.
Old February 6, 2016, 06:57 PM   #7
BigJimP

If a Benelli is not in your budget....I would look seriously at the offerings from both Beretta and Browning for gas guns.

In my opinion - both the Beretta and Browning options will give you more gun for your money - than Mossberg or SKB in their semi-auto lines.
Old February 6, 2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Sarge

I've had both; an 11-87 Premier and more recently, a Mossberg 930 Field/Security Combo.

The 930's gas system is dead simple and overbuilt. Mine has seen 700+ rounds in three weeks. It runs with anything from Universals to 3" goose loads or slugs; handled it all, including getting tossed out in the snow overnight at 4 below, w/o a single malfunction.

It has already established a better track record for reliability than my 11-87, which never made 4 boxes of field loads w/o stove-piping a few times. Another thing I do not miss about the Remington is the bolt release being located on the lifter.

Mossberg has been slow to field a really good auto shotgun; but I believe they've done it with the 930.
Old February 6, 2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Virginian

Well, I have had over 50 years of trouble free service from Remington 1100s and 11-87s, including baths in muddy water and in a blizzard at -11 degrees - no wait, that doesn't count because I never saw a duck to shoot at.
I think either one will work, what matters it what feels best to you - it's your money.
Old February 7, 2016, 10:28 AM   #10
pwalston25

I recently sold a 935 and an 11-87. I plan on buying a 930. The 11-87 would maybe shoot 6-7 times on average before a malfunction. The 935 was reliable as my old 500 but it wasnt chambered 2 3/4" thats why I sold it. The 930 is about $200 less than the 11-87 where I live.
Old February 7, 2016, 05:54 PM   #11
FITASC

Quote:
including getting tossed out in the snow overnight at 4 below
Why would you do that?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 8, 2016, 11:59 PM   #12
TonyNT

Again, thank you all for the insight. The Beretta a300 would be in my price range, though defiantly at the high end of it.

I also found out that Stoeger is making semi autos now. Ive enjoyed their o/u, but are the semi's worth a look?

I'm headed to a larger store tomorrow to get a feel, and possibly purchase. Thanks again to you all, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old February 10, 2016, 06:27 PM   #13
edfrompa

Mossberg 930 would be my vote. I have about 1000 rounds, no failure. Very reliable semi.
Old February 10, 2016, 06:44 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
I also found out that Stoeger is making semi autos now. Ive enjoyed their o/u, but are the semi's worth a look?
Compared to???? I'd take a used Rem 1100 first.
Old February 12, 2016, 12:03 AM   #15
nightwolf1974

I hear that the 930s have gotten better. The first ones wouldn't cycle low brass budget birdshot without problems. There are a lot of videos on YouTube on the 930s now.....check them out.

IF I bought a Mossberg 930 SPX.......I'd refrain from using low brass birdshot, and only Buck, High Brass Birdshot, or Slugs(even though they should).
Old February 12, 2016, 01:41 PM   #16
FITASC

High or low brass makes no difference; payload and velocity do. That old stuff about that should have been stopped about 40 years ago. If you can't fire soft target loads from your semi, then there is a problem with the gun. Both of my A400s will fire my 3/4 oz reloads without ever having an issue - one of those guns is chambered for 3.5" loads. (which it will NEVER see).
Old February 12, 2016, 07:05 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

I previously owned an 11-87 and sold it ot buy a moss 930. I recently sold my moss 930 to purchase a used Benelli. I would probably look at the Stoeger semi-autos. Beretta owns Benelli who in turn owns Stoeger. The stoegers are designed with the Benelli technology at a lower fit and finish. All the Stoeger products I've had my hands on were well made, even if not up to the fit and finish of their parent companies.
Old February 12, 2016, 07:50 PM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
Beretta owns Benelli who in turn owns Stoeger.
Beretta owns a LOT of companies, but do NOT make the assumption that the quality level is the same amongst all of their brands. Stoegers are their very low price price point stuff and not the same as Beretta or Benelli.
Old February 13, 2016, 06:34 PM   #19
Orion6

The Mossbergs are fine. I've owned a 935 and the 930 is the same system, just a smaller chamber.

The Mossberg action is so simple, even if there's an issue it's an easy fix. With the JM Pro models in the past few years, they've really got a good reputation. Sure, there's a lemon here or there, but think of how many shotguns Mossberg builds. And people buy a lot of them, so there are a lot out there for things to go wrong (user error can be a big part of things sometimes).

The 11-87 is nice, but overpriced these days with the 930, Beretta Outlander, etc. out there.

If you can pay $650 for an 11-87, get the Beretta Outlander.
Old February 13, 2016, 09:08 PM   #20
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The Mossberg action is so simple, even if there's an issue it's an easy fix. With the JM Pro models in the past few years, they've really got a good reputation. Sure, there's a lemon here or there, but think of how many shotguns Mossberg builds.
I didn't sell my 930 b/c of function. I have a large assortment of loads from clay shooting, hunting, etc. It ran every single one of them without issue when I tried it out. I never ran that many rounds through it without cleaning, which was the issue with my 11-87, but reports on the 930 reliability when dirty aren't bad. I sold the 930 b/c it always seemed bulky and generally ungainly. Not just LOP or rise, but all the dimensions seemed over-sized to me. I do have small hands. The 11-87 was much sleeker, but half a flat of Rio Sport loads put it out of commission reliably.
Old February 13, 2016, 10:10 PM   #21
Orion6

Quote:
I didn't sell my 930 b/c of function. I have a large assortment of loads from clay shooting, hunting, etc. It ran every single one of them without issue when I tried it out. I never ran that many rounds through it without cleaning, which was the issue with my 11-87, but reports on the 930 reliability when dirty aren't bad. I sold the 930 b/c it always seemed bulky and generally ungainly. Not just LOP or rise, but all the dimensions seemed over-sized to me. I do have small hands. The 11-87 was much sleeker, but half a flat of Rio Sport loads put it out of commission reliably.
I'll give you that. They are not the sleekest.
Old February 13, 2016, 11:06 PM   #22
Sarge

Thirded. My 930 is stupid reliable but is not svelte. I may actually order OEM wood furniture for it. Mossberg's wood stocks have always fit me way better than their synthetic stocks in any particular model.
Old February 16, 2016, 02:23 PM   #23
Destructo6

I have a Mossberg 930 JM Pro, my nephew has one, and several shooting acquaintances have them for 3-Gun . For the price, I don't know if it can be beat.

I had some problems with high velocity (1600fps) slugs, in that the subsequent round was not stripped out of the magazine tube. I'm not sure if I should attribute that to a somewhat weak mag spring or what.

For reduced recoil slugs, birdshot, buckshot, etc, it's been quite reliable. I'm guessing 1,000 rounds through it at this point.

My nephew and other shooting acquaintances have had zero problems.

The JM Pro has the buttstock shims to allow some adjustment of comb(?)rise/drop. I'm not sure what other models have them.

Keep all of them clean.
Old March 10, 2016, 10:25 AM   #24
T_PRO_Z

11-87 without a doubt. I am not just saying this because im a Remington fan, I choose the 500 over the 870 hands down. I have close to 10000 rounds throught my 1187. most of which where high brass and slug loads.
Old March 10, 2016, 10:26 AM   #25
T_PRO_Z

but if you can find a 1100 in good condition, get it immediately. I have one that is almost new and I cant bring myself to shoot it but I have heard stories of them getting into the 100,000-200,000 range.

Tags
11-87 , 930 , semi auto shotgun