The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 21, 2013, 08:54 AM   #1
easyliven88

Need decent/economical thrower I can use alone

Hey guys, quick question, I'm wanna get into shooting some clay and am trying to get some ideas on a decent thrower that I can operate by myself? I've done some research, but figured I'd ask the experienced people on the forum. Thanks in advance for the replies and opinions!!
Old September 21, 2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Cary

How much money are you looking to spend? There are the budget units for $100 or less or you can get into the electric units that launch with the push of a button. I think the least expensive of those units start at $200-$300 and go up for there. I started shooting clay targets 2 years ago and went with the first group I mentioned and am happy with it. I just take my units out to the desert and use them by myself. I went with the Trius One Step first and it works great for what it was designed.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/trius/1-step.php
Since then I also picked one of these.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/trius/birdshooter-2.php
I use a 25 foot cord attached to the Birdshooter unit to trigger it from the side at a distance. I also have the Birdshooter unit set up to mount on the spare tire of my pickup. This keeps the unit anchored while I use it. Trius makes a good quality unit.
Cary
Old September 21, 2013, 10:21 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

If you are willing to spend more money then there is the Do-all electric trap. The trap is about $250 from Amazon.com and a 12volt battery will be needed.

If you visit the Shelby range enough there are guys with every type of trap made. Some very old traps and some very new traps.

There is a problem with the electric traps ---- you will go through a case of birds verrrry quickly.
Old September 28, 2013, 10:12 AM   #4
darkgael

One step

Trius One Step.
Old September 28, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Daggitt

My friend just bought a Champion 12 volt and we really like it. Was on sale at Cabela's for $275.If you are after a manual , I got one at Dick's. It sits on a tripod similar to a jackstand. It is orange and I don't recall the brand. We bolted it to a 3x3 pice of plywood and it works well. I did not care for the manual ones made to stomp into the ground. Hard to establish stability in a loamy soil. Hard to get it in the ground when it is dry.
Old September 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

At the Shelby range there is a older gentleman who shoots a 410 double.
It takes him a while to set up, with a rest stop before he is finished.

He has a trap "C" clamped to the bench and a trip cord tied to the gun rack back of the bench. By the way the bench is nothing more than a 2x6 mounted to two posts about three feet high.
He will cock the trap and when ready for the bird, just leans into the cord tripping the trap.
He will spend all afternoon shooting birds going through a box of shells. If I recall correctly the range officer said the guy is in his 90's.
Old September 29, 2013, 11:10 AM   #7
Virginian

Define economical.
I got a 12 volt Do-All Arial Assault 3.0 (because it throws targets a little harder) and a wireless remote, and am very pleased. I can get any target presentation at any range.
The various manually operated traps with a string release work, but you are limited to going away shots, and I have found with the stick in the ground models unless you stand on them, or bolt them to something solid, they will work the hole in the ground loose and lose a lot of impetus to the targets. There are lots of choices in between the electrics and the foot models, including ones you sit on and ones that fit in a receiver hitch. They all throw targets, but what you can do with them is different.