The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2012, 06:30 PM   #1
forstonc

Loading Sabot Slugs

I am new to reloading and I have purchased a used MEC 600 JR Mark V. I bought the SPW wads from slugsrus that stated that you can use them with just about any .44 caliber bullet. So I purchased the Hornady, .44 caliber
.430" copper jacketed hollow point bullets, at 240 grains. I am using the Cheddite hulls and primers and will be using the IMR SR 4756 powder.

My question is that when I place the bullet in the wad, it seems to have to be forced in pretty hard, then when I tried to push it through my rifled barrel, it would not go through. Is this normal or should it slide right through? I'm really trying to find some way of loading slugs without using the hammerhead slugs, I would prefer to use some type of jacketed hollow point. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old September 12, 2012, 06:45 PM   #2
forstonc

Loading Sabot Slugs

Well, I have some very similar questions. But I can tell you that I did find on slugsrus.com the SPW wads that they sell (for 20ga), claim to be able to use any .44 caliber bullet in them. I am currently trying this out, but I have some questions as to whether I am using the right bullets or not. I have Hornady, 240 grain .44 caliber, .430" copper jacketed, hollow point bullets that I am trying. When I put them in the wad, I really have to PUSH them in hard to get them seated, and then the sabot/bullet combo won't quite push through the rifled barrel, so I haven't tried shooting one through yet, until I get a few questions about that answered first.

They also sell for 12ga, that claim to use .50 caliber bullets.
Old September 12, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Merged thread questions...
Old September 12, 2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Nathan

I see 2 things here. Have you tried pushing a bullet down a regular barrel? I'll bet you can't.

Now, a properly pressured shotgun round makes MUCH less pressure. I think, but don't know if you can push it down the barrel, or how much force is ok?

Also, I would guess a plastic sabot is in the design, because it is hard to blow yourself up with such soft bullet materials!

Last, I would call Slug R Us. They are the only ones who really know their load.
Old September 12, 2012, 08:17 PM   #5

I am very interested in shotgun slug reloading as you can see......

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482519

You seem to be the only person I've seen that has found some info about reloading modern sabot style slugs. I am sorry that I cannot help with your question but, I am wanting to know and get advise as well. I took the link to slugsrus.com and I think the components and the roll crimp tool are the real deal. I would think the extreme effort it takes to push the bullet wad combo through the barrel is not a big issue. Upon firing, the pressure when the sabot swells into the rifling is far greater than that when you are pushing it down the barrel. I am not sure about when the wad and bullet leave the muzzle. The sabot should drop away from the bullet when it leaves the barrel and if it is that hard to seat the bullet who knows??

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old September 13, 2012, 08:08 AM   #6
forstonc

Yes, normally the sabot does drop away from the bullet, however these are designed to stay with the bullet until it actually strikes the target. I thought I would test them out to see if they are as accurate as they claim to be. They are the same wad used in the newer Rottweiler slugs that replaced the Hastings Lazer ?? slugs
Old September 13, 2012, 11:00 AM   #7
snuffy

forstonc there's something that you and the others that tried to answer don't understand about how sabot slug loads work. In order to impart spin,(cause to spin), on the conical 44 bullet, the sabot has to have a death grip on the bullet. That is achieved by making the sabot BIGGER than the inside diameter of the RIFLED barrel. Then when the sabot takes,(is engraved ), by the rifling, it starts the bullet rotating.

If the sabot just slips down the barrel, the 44 bullet would tumble and be wildly inaccurate.

Most slug loads are roll crimped. You MAY be able to star crimp those, but be darn sure they're clearly identified as slug loads. Also, if you're using the powder bushing bar to dispense powder, make sure you weigh the powder dispensed. The MEC bushings always throw lighter charges than what the info sheet says they do.

If you run into any other obstacles, I started reloading shotgun shells in 1971, have loaded ALL types since then.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 13, 2012, 02:43 PM   #8

I agree with snuffy and I guess I didn't clarify. The plastic sabot is the equivilent to a bullet traveling down the rifling. I am not sure that I like the idea of the sabot staying with bullet all the way to impact. forstonc, did you see the blue 12 guage sabot on slugsrus.com? Why don't they make those in 20 guage........hmmmm? That style is similar to that used by Winchester in their Partition Gold line.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.