The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 27, 2012, 11:22 PM   #1
Red Dog

Where do you shoot?

I shoot mostly in indoor ranges. I noticed some shoot in mountains, woods private ranges and some in your backyard. (I hate you!!!!) I need to get back to the rural part of this state.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:29 PM   #2
betterdays

I shoot in a safe direction.
Old February 27, 2012, 11:45 PM   #3
OnTheFly

There are two nice outdoor ranges withing an hour. The closest that I belong to has ranges for trap, handgun, 75 yd, 100 yd, and 300 yd. The further one where I attend some matches does not have trap (or at least I have not seen it there), but they also have a 600 yd range.

When the weather is bad, there is an indoor range that just re-opened under new management in town.

Fly

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 27, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

I have a range membership at a private hunt club. For $120 a year I get full use of the range, and a discount price in the sporting clays course if I want to shoot there. The range has 4 covered stations on the pistol range with target placements @ 10, and 25 yards. Also 4 covered rifle stations with targets @ 25, 50, and 100 yards. I am retired, and can go during the week when I usually have the entire range to myself. Except on days when the boys from Browning Arms are there with a case or two of brand new prototype shotguns running them through their shooting, and endurance tests. ( I hate those guys!)
I used to shoot at a Department of Conservation "supervised" range a little closer to home, but it becomes a real PITA sometimes. Also an unsupervised Conservation range, but it is a lot farther from home, and I save much more than the $120 a year just on gas. As a range member, I am still invited to all the functions held at the club that the hunting preserve members are.
I have several indoor ranges available in the area, but when I go shooting it's usually most of the day, both handguns and rifles, and at 15-20 bucks an hour I'd spend half my membership price in one day.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 27, 2012, 11:56 PM   #5
imsobored152

I use a county run out door range($10/day), and have several indoors near by($10/hr+ammo), or ill go out in the woods

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using tapatalk
Old February 27, 2012, 11:59 PM   #6
Don H

17 million acres of public lands.
Old February 28, 2012, 01:12 AM   #7
trg42wraglefragle

On friends farms, either targets or small fury things.
I know enough farmers to always have a place to shoot on.

If I wanted to go to a proper range, I don't even know where there are near me, it'd be a few hours drive I'd think.
Old February 28, 2012, 02:09 AM   #8
BarryLee

I float between four different indoor ranges all pretty close to home. Also, family members have two properties that have small outdoor ranges that I have access to, but seem to visit less and less. The problem with the outdoor ranges is the distance 1.5 to 2 hours one way while the indoor ranges are 15 minutes away.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old February 28, 2012, 03:38 AM   #9
shortwave

Quote:
( I hate you!!!!)
Would you hate me if I let you come play in my backyard?
Old February 28, 2012, 04:10 AM   #10
GM2

I Walk down into the woods and into a hallow where the creek flows and fire into a high bank. Yep I am a country Boy. Now how could you Hate a Country Boy!!

Last edited by GM2; March 2, 2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old February 28, 2012, 08:55 AM   #11
kalevatom

Our own 75 ft pistol range. This summer, we start work on the 200 yd range.

Last edited by kalevatom; February 28, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old February 28, 2012, 09:26 AM   #12
bailey bud

a) We have a nice Lions' Club range which has an honor fee (yes, we pay)

b) I'm surrounded by the San Juan National Forest - which allows shooting just about anywhere --- as long as I have a backstop, and I don't shoot trees.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:03 AM   #13
Hiker 1

Usually in the National Forests or at a friend's huge high-country ranch (surrounded by a convenient ridge). If I just want to fire my handguns a bit, I'll go to the indoor range.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:59 PM   #14
pgdion

My favorite is a free county sand pit up north right at the end of the road from my Father-in-Law. That one is a blast to shoot at and best of all, free and very lightly used. IMO outdoors beats indoors any time.

I also keep a membership at 1 of the indoor ranges near me. $90 a year gets me lane time for 5 bucks an hour for me and my sons (the $90 covers the family). It's a nice family owned range too that is mostly for shotguns but they have a pretty nice indoor pistol range divided into 3 rooms of 4 to 5 lanes each. And the best thing about that one, it's only about 1/2 mile from my home.
Old February 28, 2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Sefner

Private membership (by invite only) range. $100 a year, unlimited use of 50, 100, 200 yard ranges. Indoor air rifle/pistol and archery (soon to be all center fire pistols). No one is ever there, so you can do whatever you want as long as you aren't an idiot.
Old February 28, 2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Front yard view from my front porch, 25 yard range.

Back field view from my shooting table with targets set out from 25 to 100 yards.

Not fancy but it keeps me happy. By changing my shooting position I can stretch that out to 200 yards.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 28, 2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Hansam

I'm a member of a few sportsmen's clubs. Costs me a total of $100 a year. My family and I get unlimited use of the ranges and discounted trap shooting... typically between $3 and $5 per round of 25 clays. My 13yr old daughter will be shooting trap this year at one of those clubs for free - part of the club membership. I just need to provide the gun.

Aside from that I'm friends with several people who own enough land to shoot on. I've got ranges that go from 25 yds to 1000 yds depending on who I'm shooting with, how far I want to shoot and how far I want to drive.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Salmoneye

Depends...

Some days it is in a privately owned, but 'public accessible' set of gravel pits, sometimes it is on family land, sometimes at friend's houses, and sometimes out the window...

Old February 28, 2012, 04:27 PM   #19
thallub

i shoot at the Ft. Sill private weapons range and at my own range in Garvin county, OK.

This is my range. We can shoot to 250 yards but very seldom shoot past 150 yards because of the lack of a good backstop. It needs new target butts and a good de-trashing.

Old February 28, 2012, 04:33 PM   #20
aarondhgraham

Stillwater Rifle & Pistol Club,,,

Click here please.

First year was $145.00,,,
Every year after is a mere $45.00.

25, 50, 100, 150, 200, & 500 yard berms,,,
And a set of cowboy stages if you are a SASS member.

Best thing is no firing line range-master,,,
We all undergo a range orientation safety course.

Big Boy rules and friendly cooperation,,,
Sun-up to sun-down access for 365 days a year.

Not the fanciest range in the state,,,
Just functional, accessible, and relaxing.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old February 28, 2012, 06:33 PM   #21
B.N.Real

Indoor range $8 an hour.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:39 PM   #22
PPBart

Indoor range at local Bass Pro Shop.
Old February 28, 2012, 07:53 PM   #23
rbs

I shoot at the Etowah county outdoor range. The only requirement is having a hunting license.
Old February 28, 2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Red Dog

Shooting out the window, in your backyard, private ranges....just disgusting...
I like having to go shooting on certain days and then have to wait 30 mins for a lane to open while paying $13 an hour..... that's how shooting should be!!!!

Old February 28, 2012, 10:13 PM   #25
hogshead

In the front yard or ride the 4 wheeler up on the mountain for longer yardage. Never been to a range.