The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 10, 2011, 04:12 PM   #26
FrosSsT

everyone is guilty of judging someone or something at least once in their life, when it comes to shotguns yes i do judge, if you have a pardner protector im going to think you dont know much guns, if you have a benelli super nova im going to think otherwise
Old August 10, 2011, 04:17 PM   #27
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antique Shooter
Yes, I judge people by the shotguns they carry.
Quote:
I absolutely hate seeing those multi thousand dollar giant ribbed
Quote:
I absolutely hate seeing Junk guns, at least for upland/small game
Quote:
Some of the guns I hate seeing while walking down a pheasant field are,
Quote:
Something else that I hate seeing when hunting upland
Quote:
I hate seeing that when hunting anything.
Lots of hate here. I tend to judge a person by the content of their character, rather than the gun they're carrying or the clothing they wear in the field.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 10, 2011, 04:17 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
That is what an upland bird hunter should look like.
That is a regionally/socially subjective statement...

Had you been around the thumb of michigan in about 1980, you would have seen what I, at the time, thought an upland bird hunter should look like...

About an eleven year old boy in either a t-shirt of any color or, if cooler than that, a blue or red flannel shirt.

But This uplander thought anyone shooting anything other than a blot action .410 or 30-35# Fred Bear long bow with "kid glove" leather wrapped grip was a poor shot trying to make up for it with a gun that loaded it's own next shot... And I didn't use my field points on pheasant... I used my arrows with .5 inch rubber "dum-dum" tips... Knock them down and ring their ring neck!

Brent
Old August 10, 2011, 04:36 PM   #29
hardworker

I don't even really care what guns those I hunt with carry. Off the top of my head, I can only name a few of their guns. I can tell you though how many deer they let get by them. Seems like the more important piece of information to me.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:57 PM   #30
zippy13

Of course I judge people by their appearance. It's part of our tribal survival instinct. Political correctness aside, mankind has survived because of our ability to quickly identify a strange and determine if he is one of us or one of them.

I remember an occasion when we were taking a break between rounds at the local Trap and Skeet club. My buddy looked over my shoulder and said, "Let's move, NOW!" and we did. He'd noticed a goofy-looking father and son team had just taken a soft gun case out to their car and set it on a near-by bench pointed directly at us. The son then proceeded to take a bargain basement pump gun out of the case, wave it around and then pump out 5 shells. The rangemaster was immediately all over them. I was glad that my buddy had immediately recognized these guys as being half a bubble off of level.
Old August 10, 2011, 04:57 PM   #31
chewie146

I'm sure I've been judged, and sometimes it turns out in my favor. I remember a day plinking with my friend's .50 cal. (Yes, it can be done.) We had some old empty camp propane bottles, some plastic bottles, etc. We were at a huge open pit mine, so there was no fire danger from the propane. Anyway, he and his friend shot at that thing with the big .50 4 or 5 times, but couldn't seem to get it. I asked if I could try with my NEF .45-70. At about 175 yards, with open sights, it was bowled over with a 350 grain bullet. A friend of mine said, simply, "Don't [mess] with Ben and his $175 rifle." It's fun to shoot cheap guns well and prove that it's not the gun, but the shooter. It's the same reaction I got when I used to beat people at IDPA with a Glock 26, and they couldn't seem to get their Kimbers and Wilsons to shoot fast enough for them.

I absolutely hate it when people seem to think a certain legal arm shouldn't be used for hunting, based on vintage, composition, price, or finish.

Last edited by chewie146; August 10, 2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:20 PM   #32
BigJimP

Come on guys .... / this jusgement - based on equipment - seems to go both ways....

the question is ...whether we judge or not ...yes, we do / but most of us try not to.../ and judge people by the way they act ...

but I see a lot more guys with tactical shotguns ---that can't hit 15 out of 25clay targets ...than I do guys with $ 5,000 shotguns, that can't shoot them ....( and a lot more guys with Glocks - that can't triple tap an 18" circle consistently at 30 feet out of a holster / than I do guys with guns from Wilson Combat that can't shoot ...) ...

spending money on a gun is relative .. it depends on how much money you have and what else is going on in your life ! If I want to spend $ 100 or
$ 50K on a birthday present for my wife ...it doesn't make me a bad guy - or a good guy ... / anymore than whether I choose to take a $ 5,000 O/U out in the field to shoot Quail .../ and while my $5,000 O/U may be a way better gun ( to me ) what the heck should it matter to anyone else ....what I choose to hunt with ...or shoot clay targets with ...

Stereotypes .....its about how we deal with them...! / and its a valid question ------( not everyone over 6'4" and 275 lbs is a stupid ex-football player ) ...some of us are / but big guys have feelings too ....and we own and shoot nice shotguns ...and we buy our wives nice birthday presents ...) .....because we can / and we want to ...!!
Old August 10, 2011, 05:41 PM   #33
PJR

I keep reading on the Internet about all these guys with cheap guns who are regularly kicking the butts of guys with high dollar guns. Yet I rarely see it happen in real life.

There is no virtue in having a cheap gun. There is no virtue in having an expensive gun. Targets whether clay or feathered are very disrespectful. They have no idea how much your gun cost only whether the pellets hit the mark. Anything else doesn't matter.
Old August 10, 2011, 05:43 PM   #34
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I learned a LONG time ago not to bet against the guy in overalls with a Model 12 in 20 gauge with no blue nor bead.....

I've outshot guys with high dollar shotguns using varied 870s,and also had them eat my lunch. I've run across jerks with K-80s and with JC Higgins pumps.

As long as other shooters are SAFE and ETHICAL and not jerks, I care not a whit what they are using.
Old August 10, 2011, 06:23 PM   #35
zincwarrior

Dave wins the thread methinks.
Old August 10, 2011, 09:07 PM   #36
Antique Shooter

Quote:
if cooler than that, a blue or red flannel shirt
Ahh yes, a real old fashioned bird hunter. Good for you!!!!!
I wear either a red check or green check flannel shirt underneath my jacket.

Quote:
I used my arrows with .5 inch rubber "dum-dum" tips
dum-dum tips or blunts work great on pheasants, they make them now with little points on the end!!

Antique Shooter
Old August 10, 2011, 09:57 PM   #37
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What forced me to improve my accuracy with the bow was my disdain for huntin' lost arrows in the "headlands", fence rows and cut corn fields...

Brent
Old August 11, 2011, 04:32 PM   #38
markj

Quote:
the gun I'll be carrying will have 2 barrels, and the stock will be made of real wood, imagine that!
Lol I got a cousin just like you. We hunt a lot tho, he carries very old doubles and is very good with them. One time in the rain he took a pump, couldnt hit a barn door with it.

We came out of a field, my dog was on point next to the truck in the ditch, he goes to the dog a pheas flushes, he shoots it, goes to step down into the ditch and fell flat on his face gun under him. Didnt hurt it, we laff about it to this day.

I prefer a 1100 or my 11 87 light contour with real wood stock imagine that

Doubles just are not as popular in the mid west, I hardly ever see one.
Old August 11, 2011, 05:45 PM   #39
30-30remchester

Judge? no but I do study material choices people make. From cars, tires, knives, guns, ect. A person can gleen some insight about peoples personalities and finances and life styles by their purchases. When it comes to guns, many people hold them in high reguard, yet so many that do hold them in such reguard think only of accuracy, and allowing quality to be wanting. I myself would easily surfice quite a bit of accuracy in exchange for quality hand built guns.
Old August 11, 2011, 06:24 PM   #40
rottieman33

I know of 3 people on this post that have judged me and and have given me **** because I shoot skeet with a Saiga 12 and can and have hit 23 out of 25 clays in 1 game of skeet. And when I get the high scores the people I shoot with give me praise for doing so well with that gun.

Last edited by rottieman33; August 11, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old August 11, 2011, 07:33 PM   #41
Rugerismisticness

Rottie, shooting clays with a Saiga has been on my bucket list. I actually had thoughts about building a stock with wieght inserts for one and building a rib, man that would be a fun clays gun.

For now, I'm enjoying the Benelli hotrod side of missing clays.
Old August 11, 2011, 08:00 PM   #42
pabuckslayer08

How can you, some people just love to go and enjoy themselves and cant make themselves appear any different. Everyone has there own way and as long as they are in the field or shooting, well I cant complain
Old August 11, 2011, 08:42 PM   #43
wncchester

"Do you judge people by the shotgun they carry?? "

Sure. If the people around me don't have a Parker, Win 21, H&H double or at least a Rem 3200 I just have to find another place to shoot, doesn't everyone? I mean a gentleman has his dignity to consider, what?
Old August 11, 2011, 08:44 PM   #44
oneounceload

Quote:
Sure. If the people around me don't have a Parker, Win 21, H&H double or at least a Rem 3200 I just have to find another place to shoot, doesn't everyone? I mean a gentleman has his dignity to consider, what?
Compared to others, I would agree.................
Old August 11, 2011, 08:49 PM   #45
oneounceload

Quote:
I know of 3 people on this post that have judged me and and have given me **** because I shoot skeet with a Saiga 12 and can and have hit 23 out of 25 clays in 1 game of skeet. And when I get the high scores the people I shoot with give me praise for doing so well with that gun.
Can say no one has come to our club with one - especially with those magazines - not allowed

If you are shooting that good, perhaps you should join the NSSA and shoot targets for real score against the rest of the good shooters - those are good scores, and if you can replicate them, you'd be in the winner circle every time

So why aren't you shooting registered targets?

Then you can move over to sporting clays and whup everyone's butt with those God-almighty overpriced Kreighoffs that only shoot two shells............

Come on down to Florida and we'll hook up and shoot some real fun targets
Old August 11, 2011, 10:14 PM   #46
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I took the Saiga 12 I had been lent to test to a meeting of The Geezer Squad at PGC. The guys put down a Model 12 and a 21 as well as a Parker to try the thing out. None of us shot as well as with our standbys, but not badly either.

Rottie, show up to shoot where I do, you'll be welcome....
Old August 12, 2011, 09:40 AM   #47
sheepman

No you can't buy ability. Where I shoot you are as likely to see a Mossberg 500 as a BT99 or a hi dollar double. A friend has a number of hi priced guns but is more likely to be shooting an old Remington 11 or a side by side. I have known several people that were well off that looked like they were down to their last dollar and several that put on a show that were broke.

The old saying is don't judge a book by it's cover.
Old August 12, 2011, 09:53 AM   #48
jrothWA

I judge by how the act to others and how...

they score (or miss). I judge by character not what they carry.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:30 AM   #49
NightSleeper

Blah, the snobbery!!
Old August 12, 2011, 03:06 PM   #50
markj

But what about the shells they use? Can I judge them for not using the red hulls?

Changfed bad spelling doh

Last edited by markj; August 15, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Closed Thread