The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2011, 01:45 AM   #1
TheKlawMan

What is hot in shooting glasses?

I don't know if this belongs here, but I think after 6 months of shooting I ought to get some shooting glasses. Until today, when my eye doctor adjusted my regular glasses, I was unable to see down the barrel while looking through the lense. What they did is a temporary fix as it messes up my glasses for other things and I believe I really should have PCB lenses.

So what is hot. I know some of the dedicated shooters swear by Decot glasses. Also, does it make sense to get bifocal or transition lenses in shooting glasses.

Lastly, both optometrists I have spoken with want to make them up for me from frames they have which are not dedicated shooting glass frames. Somehow I think that is ridiculous.

One kind that was briefly demod at a local shoot had a set of prescription glasses to the frames of which colored PCB lenses attached.
Old July 1, 2011, 02:42 AM   #2
zippy13

Klaw, my friend, before I wore prescription lenses, I had a set of Decot frames with several different colored lens sets. Since I joined the old eye brigade, I get just one set of new Decot lenses in "target sun, light" for use in my original frames. The color works well for me here in SoCal. If you don't go with genuine Decots, look for some wannabes or standard frames that meet the high and wide criteria.

Optometrists prefer to sell you glasses that use frames they sell. That doesn't mean the some non-shooting specific frames won't work. I just got my new prescription filled in old school "aviator" style frames that are high and wide enough for shotgun sports.
Old July 1, 2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Drummer101

I am working at a factory and this is what I see on the floor.

People who do where glasses will have 2 sets. A normal pair and a work pair.

The work pair will be slightly more round (ie. Harry Potter).
But they will have inserts that slide onto the legs to protect the side.

Because I am an intern so I just use the large glasses over my glasses

Last edited by Drummer101; July 1, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old July 1, 2011, 07:37 AM   #4
LSnSC

I wear a set of prescription Randolf Engineering shooting glasses. I sent my prescription to Morgan Optical and had my glassses in about a week. Best money Ive spent on shooting.
Old July 1, 2011, 08:26 AM   #5
oneounceload

If yu want to go the scrip lenses route, check out Texas Shooter's Optical - he carries a few of the big boy brands and understands field of view, etc., as he is a shooter

http://www.texasshootersoptical.com/
Old July 1, 2011, 08:47 AM   #6
l98ster

I know a bucnh of guys that wear glasses that I shoot with had their eye doctors make them. They asked the eye doctor if it would be OK to bring the pistol to the office, and while they were looking down the sights, they chose the right perscription. The eye doctors even tinted the lenses to the specific shooters needs.

If you need perscription glasses, call your eye doctor and ask if you can bring your gun. Of the 6 shooting buddies that have done this, none of their doctors had any objection to bring the gun. It might actually be a more common request than you might think!!

-George
Old July 1, 2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Fargazer

I use the ESS Suppressor glasses. They have the ability to put an insert inside to accommodate prescriptions.

There are three varieties of glasses ESS carries that are suitable for shooting:
  • Suppressor - single frame, flat bows to accommodate ear muffs. What I use.
  • Crossbow - single frame, more conventional bows. Work OK with ear muffs, but Suppressor works better - I now use my Crossbow frames for everyday wear.
  • ICE - two conventional bows using the lens as part of the support "frame". Work well, but fiddly to exchange lenses.

Roughly speaking, you are going to end up spending around $20 fr the frame, $25 or so for the lens, $30 for the prescription insert, and then the cost of the lenses to put in the insert. That's breaking it down in a rough fashion; they sell various combinations of lenses and frames as a "kit".

If you choose these, I'd recommend you get the plain insert, take it to a gun friendly optometrist or optical technician, and have the lenses made there.
Old July 1, 2011, 01:10 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Thanks for all the ideas. I may initially go with some with larger lenses from the optometrist, as I am due for a new pair as is. If I am not happy with them, I can always order dedicated shooting glasses.
Old July 1, 2011, 02:49 PM   #9
BigJimP

Another vote for DeCot HyWyd ...

http://www.sportglasses.com/

No matter what you buy -- make sure the lenses are interchangeable ...with other colors of lenses.../ and most eye glass places are not set up to make lenses for those kind of interchangeable frames. DeCot knows how to integrate your prescription into a position in the lenses that is ok for shotgunners. Most eye glass places do not ...know how to position the lens.
Old July 1, 2011, 04:55 PM   #10
SCDeac82

Side Protection?

Went to the above site...Do they make anything that wraps around more?

I am concerned with debris coming not just straight on, but for instance, from another shooter at the pistol range beside me...

Thanks.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 1, 2011, 07:04 PM   #11
zippy13

SCDeac82, it you're concerned about side protection (or distractions), get some trapshooting blinders.

Image: shooterstuff.com
Old July 1, 2011, 07:27 PM   #12
oneounceload

or find the wrap-around models - there are several ones out there
Old July 2, 2011, 12:18 PM   #13
BigJimP

the side protection flap inserts - come with every pair of frames that DeCot HyWyd sells. They just slip on and off...

They're safety rated ...but we're not just talking Safety glasses - we're talking "shooting glasses" ...with a variety of colored lenses that will help you see the targets in different light and background conditions.
Old July 20, 2011, 04:21 PM   #14
Ketchum

Post 4 shooting glasses

Post 4 Optics makes high quality shooting glasses in prescription. The frames are titanium w/ spring hinges. Unlike Decot, which are steel & nickel plated. Lenses are made from Zeiss blanks. Other companies just dye their lenses, but Post 4 has HD lenses that filter the light and make the target "pop". Lenses can be changed easily. Turn around time is two days in house to make prescription lenses. They even make lenses for Decot at no additional charge.

If you have additional questions contact me. I'm a Post 4 dealer.
Old July 20, 2011, 06:38 PM   #15
zippy13

You neglected to mention that DeCot's are also available in black and gold. IMHO, your posting has the essence of SPAM.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:37 PM   #16
TheKlawMan

I am starting to get seriously into some shooting glasses. Spoke w Sam at Decot, made another visit to talk with my regular optometrist, and looked intop the other glasses metioned by the contributors here. Perhaps I should check Oakley as I bet by there frequently but I don't even know if they have a showroom at their HQ.

Anyway to see an optometrist who handles Decot I get to drive for an hour or I can fight Los Angeles traffic and drive for an hour or maybe two to check out Randolph Engineering at Triple-B Clays. I don't have much experience to compare with, but Triple-B is nice and the Optometrist handling Decot is not far from Redlands Shooting Park which I hear is pretty nice (and is a good place to stock up on reloading supplies). Then again, I think that Prado, my usual haunt, handles Oakley. Perhaps I have to drop by all three, but if I get to B I may be tempted to rent one of the O/U's it sells (not a P or K gun for this old guy's wallet but I can drool over a B gun).

From what I see on the puter the Randolph Engineering RX Ssporters interest me. I would go with the regular prescrption lenses and get the tinted "dip- on" lenses.

I am really leary about having a regular optometrist make up my glasses. The technician who says he knows how to make up shooting glasses thinks I will be standing sideways like shooting a rifle.

This retiring stuff is hell but someone has to do it. Thank you everyone for your help.
Old July 20, 2011, 10:42 PM   #17
zippy13

TKM, my friend, you have to be very specific when talking about "shooting glasses" -- between the various sports, they vary significantly. If you mention "trap and skeet" glasses and they give you an inquisitive look, you're in the wrong place.

These adjustable iris & blinder "shooting glasses" have their place, but it isn't at the shotgun club:
Old July 21, 2011, 12:26 AM   #18
TheKlawMan

Zippy. I think it is worth a couple hours of driving to get glasses from soemone who deals with trap and skeet shooters. That is why I think I may get them through Triple-B. That and the idea you mentioned of just getting some regular aviator style glasses; which is pretty much what the Randolph Engineering Rx Sporters are, if you get the kind with the clip on tinted lenses.
Anyway, tomorrow morning its Prado and whuile there I may look into Oakleys. As you know, I don't so much need shooting glasses as I need glasses that allow me to see down range without lifting my head off the stock. At least that is what I think I need in glasses.
Old July 21, 2011, 12:29 AM   #19
TheKlawMan

Zippy. I think it is worth a couple hours of driving to get glasses from soemone who deals with trap and skeet shooters. That is why I think I may get them through Triple-B. That and the idea you mentioned of just getting some regular aviator style glasses; which is pretty much what the Randolph Engineering Rx Sporters are, if you get the kind with the clip on tinted lenses.
Anyway, tomorrow morning its Prado and whuile there I may look into Oakleys. As you know, I don't so much need shooting glasses as I need glasses that allow me to see down range without lifting my head off the stock. At least that is what I think I need in glasses.

So what are those things? They look like something once used for prescribing glasses. That or something out of "The Boys From Brazil".
Old July 21, 2011, 11:29 AM   #20
zippy13

They are pistol shooting glasses. Not much on safety, but the adjustable iris supposedly maximizes your depth of focus, for varied lighting conditions, thus improving your sight picture.
Old July 21, 2011, 12:21 PM   #21
BigJimP

You don't need to go to a dealer.....all you need to do is get a prescription from a local eye doctor ...and there is one dimension that DeCot needs that an optometrist doesn't normally put on a prescription ..and ask DeCot, they'll tell you what it is.

You can get your eyes checked at Costco ...and then just send the info to DeCot and they'll make up the glasses.

For my pistol shooting ...DeCot made up an extra lens ...for my dominant eye - with a different focul length ...so I can see the front sight of my handguns / left lens stays the same ( and that handgun lens / has a little groove on the side so I can identify it ) vs the other 2 light yellow lenses I use for Skeet, Sporting clays...
Old July 21, 2011, 02:09 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Decots would be the leader for dedicated shooting glasses, and I talked with them the other day and the additional mesurement they need along with my RX is the "pupilary distance", but I am leaning to the Ranger Engineering RX Sports which allow me to order what look like regular glasses to which I can snap on tinted polycarbonate lenses.

http://www.randolphusa.com/products-ranger-sporter.htm

The one thing about that is I believe shooting glasses are best if they are monofocal and what I am talking would be varifocal or at least bifocal.

What is kind of funny is these glasses will run more than I paid for the 870.
Old July 21, 2011, 04:12 PM   #23
BigJimP

No, they are not cheap ....

on my DeCot's - they put a bifocul lens in the bottom / so I can still read to sign in, look at score cards, etc - without pulling my glasses off and going to my street glasses that are progressive lenses.
Old July 21, 2011, 07:18 PM   #24
oneounceload

Klaw - look here:

http://www.texasshootersoptical.com/

Major Randolph dealer/distributor
Old July 21, 2011, 09:12 PM   #25
Rugerismisticness

I like the Beretta glasses, they're cheap and very clear. They also have some very large frameless models. I do find that they scratch easier than the Decot, but I like the clarity and color shades better.