The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 19, 2011, 03:49 PM   #1
ET.

Anybody have a Glock 18?

I just bought the 2011 Glock buyers guide. The magazine lists all of the standard Glocks that I am aware of, but in the back it lists the Glock 18, which it describes as a "machine pistol". It is a 9mm caliber pistol with a lever that you use to select either semi or full auto mode. The rate of fire is 1200 per minute (that's 20 per second ) How did I not know about this?

Evidently these machine pistols are for LEO use only here in the USA, but I have not encountered any LEOs who carry this weapon or even discuss it. I wonder if a collector could legally possess on of these pistols. I really want one badly!!!!
Old February 19, 2011, 03:54 PM   #2
mbott

Glock will only sell the 18 to a LE agency. If a dealer has one, it's because it came back from an agency for whatever reason. To the best of my knowledge, these are all post-86 and are not transferable to individuals/collectors.

--
Mike

Last edited by mbott; February 20, 2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old February 19, 2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Those questions are best answered in the NFA Guns and Gear forum - and as if by magic, that's where we are now!
Old February 19, 2011, 04:06 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

The chief of police in my home town has one of those for a "belt trophy."

My NFA dealer is currently waiting on a FA parts kit to convert his G34 to a post '86 sample. He has a manufacturer's license, 07/02 I think it is called.

I'll let you know all about it when it gets put together and I shoot it.
Old February 19, 2011, 04:21 PM   #5
ET.

Sounds like I'll never have one. Heck sounds like I'll never even get to shoot one. I'm envious that you'll get the chance to. Oh well...
Old February 19, 2011, 06:24 PM   #6
chasep255

These people have one you can shoot. http://machinegunsafari.com/gallery/
Old February 19, 2011, 08:44 PM   #7
chasep255

I think a better question would be if anyone does have a transferable Glock 18 then how much would it be worth?
Old February 19, 2011, 09:02 PM   #8
fireman1291

Its not transferable. It was made after 1986. A dealer can get one on a demo letter, and a LE agency can get one but thats it. Its a neat gun.
Old February 22, 2011, 08:25 AM   #9
rsh32crew

correct me if I am wrong but I believe the G18 and one other model glock were the only "machine pistols" they released.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:40 PM   #10
silvercorvette

Buy an Uzi, I never shot a F/A Glock but I assume it will be easier to control an Uzi than a Glock in F/A mode.
Old February 23, 2011, 02:51 PM   #11
MrM4

There are ZERO Full Auto Glocks in the NFA Registery.

I have fired multi post sample Glocks made from G19 & G17s. They are pretty useless for most things. Like any subgun with a high rate fo fire the trigger control is the very important if you want to hit any targets.
Old February 23, 2011, 04:44 PM   #12
silvercorvette

Quote:
There are ZERO Full Auto Glocks in the NFA Registery.

I have fired multi post sample Glocks made from G19 & G17s. They are pretty useless for most things. Like any subgun with a high rate fo fire the trigger control is the very important if you want to hit any targets.
Have you shot an Uzi, and if you have am I correct in believing the Uzi would be easier to control?
Old February 23, 2011, 05:07 PM   #13
Jake Balam

My lgs has one on the wall, don't know why.
Old February 24, 2011, 02:39 PM   #14
Jimmym40a2

I have shot one. They are a blast.Very easy to control.
Old February 24, 2011, 06:15 PM   #15
deadcoyote

We ogot to shoot one at a patrol carbine class my work sent us to. It was pretty fun. the instructor said it best: "these weapons are pretty much useless unless you plan on getting in a gunfight in a phone-booth". they were a hoot to shoot but if your gonna carry it with the 33 round mags you might as well get an MP5 with the shorty (k?) grip/barrel setup. I'm no kind of secret squirrel SWAT guy or anything like that so those of you who are may disagree.
Old February 25, 2011, 05:17 PM   #16
gyvel

Quote:
I have shot one. They are a blast.Very easy to control.
Likewise, at one of our local machine gun shoots, a converted Glock appeared, complete with 33 round mags. It was easy to control and a real hoot to fire.
Old February 25, 2011, 08:17 PM   #17
Willie Lowman

Quote:
Have you shot an Uzi, and if you have am I correct in believing the Uzi would be easier to control?
Yes. I owned one. I haven't shot a G18 yet but the Uzi runs slower, weighs several pounds more, It has a longer sight radius, and a shoulder stock... Looks like everything is coming up Uzi.
Old February 25, 2011, 09:29 PM   #18
shooter_john

They are quite fun to shoot, but not all that useful. Three minutes to load the mag, three seconds to dump it... Load, dump, repeat!

My LEA owns three of them, and they are issued to the shield guys on the tac team. A lot of firepower in a one-handed hurry, and they actually are not that bad to control in short burst.
Old February 27, 2011, 11:28 AM   #19
David Hineline

UZI is a fine gun, but you can't carry it on your hip holster, and where ya gonna put it when it's not time to shoot, but time to put on handcuffs?
Old February 27, 2011, 11:35 AM   #20
egor20

David Hineline

ermmm, I have to wonder if you use a Glock 18.........are you going to need handcuffs?

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 27, 2011, 11:48 AM   #21
David Hineline

Officer I see you carry a Glock 18, are you planning on trouble? No mamm If I was planning on trouble I would have brought a rifle.

A handgun is for when there is no plan for trouble, but trouble appears anyway.
Old February 27, 2011, 12:31 PM   #22
silvercorvette

Quote:
UZI is a fine gun, but you can't carry it on your hip holster, and where ya gonna put it when it's not time to shoot, but time to put on handcuffs?
They make a mini and micro Uzi the micro isn't much bigger than a Glock with full capacity mag. The regular size Uzi was carried by the the secret service detail protecting President Reagan the day he was shot. I have seen them held across the chest by a 3 point tactical sling and they can be unhooked and put into action quickly
Link to wikipeda photo
Old February 27, 2011, 03:58 PM   #23
David Hineline

The picture you posted has been cropped not to show the Samsonite Briefcase that UZI was carried in. The SS carried the UZI in the briefcase or the DeSantis Shoulder rig, both shown on this website. It is a heavy load. You ever seen how much gear officer friendly in uniform carries? A Glock 18 is no larger or heavier than a std. Glock and it can do all a Glock can do plus more.

The Glock with the Fobus stock attatched in Fobus holster will hide under a jacket, and can be holstered one handed if officer friendly needs to go hands on.

The UZI or MP5 etc is an entry team weapon, when the Glock is an individual working along weapon.

http://files.uzitalk.com/reference/pages/cases.htm

Here is an old picture of me with an UZI 20rnd mag in gun, two 32rnd mags in the off side pouches, it was a load, but would hide with a jacket.

I can take a picture with the Glock 18 and similar mag load out if you have trouble visualizing home much more compact it is to carry.

The UZI is for going to war, the Glock 18 is for going out to dinner.

Last edited by David Hineline; February 27, 2011 at 04:05 PM.
Old February 27, 2011, 04:10 PM   #24
egor20

Just a note

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56693

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old February 27, 2011, 05:44 PM   #25
silvercorvette

My eyes aren't that good but it looks like a full size one, a mini or micro Uzi would be smaller.