The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 9, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
mtnsmith

Browning bolt action trigger work?

Hi, here's another one for you folks.. does anyone here have a Browning bolt gun? I am not sure what model it is but I believe it is a safari model in .243.

I was wondering if the trigger is adjustable or is it possible to do some stoning to bring down the trigger pull weight? Oh and the trigger breaks right now at 5 pounds, would like o bring it down to about 3 pounds...

Thanks

mtnsmith.................
Old June 10, 2010, 01:51 AM   #2
Scorch

A Browning Safari would be a commercial Mauser 98 action made by FN in Belgium. Aftermarket triggers are available for those. If it is one of the other Browning bolt action rifles (BBR, A-Bolt, X-Bolt), triggers are available for those also.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:30 AM   #3
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I know the A-Bolts are adjustable for sear engagement . Don't loose that lock washer that goes between the stock and the trigger group . Browning makes nice quality rifles but their trigger mechanisms are an abortion . If you should loose that washer don't try to use a substitute unless it is the exact same thickness as the original . That washer has a direct bearing on sear engagement and safety !!
Old June 10, 2010, 10:58 AM   #4
dksac2

If you don't think you can do it yourself, contact Scott at S&S Sporting. He is an expert on the brownings and could do it right with no problems.
208-313-1570

Best Regards, John K
Old June 10, 2010, 04:51 PM   #5
mtnsmith

Thanks guys for the info.. So are you saying to be careful when taking the action out of the stock because of the washer? Would it help to turn the thing on its back? where is the washer located so I can watch for it?

mtnsmith
Old June 10, 2010, 04:55 PM   #6
mtnsmith

Yes Scorch, it is definitely a Mauser type action, where would one go for an aftermarket trigger, TIMNEY?

mtnsmith
Old June 10, 2010, 05:45 PM   #7
Toddco

browning trigger

i have a browning a-bolt. I bought a spring kit that has 3 separate springs that can be interchanged with the original. I used the lightest one for my rifle and reduced the trigger pull from the original 5lbs. to 2.5lbs. Ask around at the gun shops and you should be able to get your hands on one. It only took a couple of minutes to change it out once i had the gun out of the stock.
Old June 10, 2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Scorch

You can go to Midway for triggers for a Mauser 98. Timney, Rifle Basix, Jewel, Jard, and Dayton-Traister all make good triggers. Pick one.