The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Hollow Points vs. FMJ
Hollow Points 59 74.68%
FMJ 20 25.32%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 7, 2010, 07:49 AM   #26
LordTio3

Completely Ambiguous

Honestly, you could have just asked; Which is better: a screw driver or a hammer?

These two types of cartridges are different tools that are intended for different purposes. Hollow points are meant to transfer their kinetic energy into a stationary target with minimal penetration. Full metal jacket rounds are meant to retain their shape in flight and impact resulting in increased accuracy and penetraton.

Before you ask this question, you should decide what you intend to use these rounds for. Because while you can use them both for "whatever" trying to nail a birdhouse together with a screwdriver isn't exactly the most well-thought-out plan.

Just ask yourself: "What do I need these for?" and go from there.

~LT
Old April 7, 2010, 08:17 AM   #27
riggins_83

Depends on caliber and what the use is. This is like saying "which is better, a car or a truck?" Well are you driving in Miami or Alaska.

For anything 380ACP or less, FMJ.

Practice? FMJ

SD for higher than 380ACP? HPs
Old April 7, 2010, 11:45 AM   #28
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Machine screw or machine bolt?

I said FMJ because I can use it for anything but HP for soft targets only. Good poll, next time specify a use or you might as well ask us if we have stopped beating our wife yet.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 8, 2010, 04:01 AM   #29
Nakanokalronin

Not a very specific question but in 45acp I would use FMJ or HP in 230gr for defense.,380acp,32acp and 25acp I would use FMJ for defense.Everything else for defense would get a HP.