The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 11, 2009, 11:39 PM   #26
zippy13

With this talk about gun weight and load reduction in consideration of reducing recoil, I'm compelled to remind everyone: In the simple terms, recoil energy is a reaction to the load mass times the square of the velocity. When considering reducing your loads for less recoil, first think about lowering the velocity.

Like oneounceload, I'm 6-2+ and recoil sensitive, also. In an attempt to reduce recoil, I went thru a lot of load evaluation. For close-in targets, like skeet, 1200fsp (and even 1,150 fps) is overkill. Dropping to 1,100 fps still crushes targets and reduces energy by 19%. As advocated by oneounceload, if you drop from 1-1/8oz to 1oz, then your recoil is down another 11%.

I should mention that, in the long run, I cheated and had air cushion stocks put on my guns. So, now is doesn't matter what I shoot.
Old September 12, 2009, 08:10 AM   #27
B.L.E.

Quote:
Like oneounceload, I'm 6-2+ and recoil sensitive, also. In an attempt to reduce recoil, I went thru a lot of load evaluation. For close-in targets, like skeet, 1200fsp (and even 1,150 fps) is overkill. Dropping to 1,100 fps still crushes targets and reduces energy by 19%. As advocated by oneounceload, if you drop from 1-1/8oz to 1oz, then your recoil is down another 11%.
Actually, going from 1 1/8 to 1 ounce will drop recoil by about 20%.

Recoil energy divides up according to the ratio of bullet to gun weight. If a gun weighs 100 times as much as the bullet, then the gun's recoil kinetic energy is 1/100 the kinetic energy of the bullet.

When you reduce shot weight, and keep velocity the same, you not only have less total kinetic energy, but since the gun still weighs the same, the gun gets a lower percentage of the total kinetic energy. So, reducing shot weight has a recoil reduction very similar to reducing velocity.

If you doubt this, compare the recoil of a .22 Hornet rifle shooting a 40 grain bullet at 2900 fps to the recoil of a 3 inch .410 magnum shooting a 5/8 ounce load at 1100 fps. These have similar kinetic energys. 733 ft lb for the shotgun and 749 ft lb for the rifle.
Old September 12, 2009, 12:31 PM   #28
oneounceload

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneounceload
I'm thinking Jim that maybe there needs to be a sticky at the top that has the links, documented evidence, and a simple, clear explanation of what recoil is, how it is calculated, and how different guns determine the same….…
Please see PM
answered........