The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 12, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1
dauff

Upgrade

CZ-75?

I recently started IPSC shooting and I am hooked. I have 2 matches under my belt with a Glock 26 (because that’s what I had). I plan to shoot a lot more and need to upgrade from my subcompact. I plan on staying in production, and for me, the easy choice would be to move up to a Glock-17. The G-17 has lots of parts, sights, holsters, and other gear available at good prices. BUT…

I am kicking around the idea of getting a CZ-75BD (de-cocker) 9mm. I’ve heard good reviews on CZ-75s. I like the feel, I like the de-cock option, and the price is about the same as the Glock. The things I am worried about are prices and availability of parts, sights, holsters and other gear.

I know exactly what to expect from Glock and will not be surprised. I have a hope that the CZ would be at least as good, and has the potential to be much, much better. I’ll probably have the opportunity to shoot a CZ soon, and that may sway me further. But the bottom line question is,

Are there any reasons NOT to shoot a CZ-75 in production IPSC?
Old December 13, 2007, 12:11 AM   #2
yar

For production the CZ to have is the CZ sp01. The Glock 17 or 34 would be a good choice too.
Old December 13, 2007, 02:47 PM   #3
dauff

Why the SP-01 vs. 75b (or BD).

I see higher capacity mags standard, and an extended beaver tail. The rail (and added forward weight) would probably decrease muzzel flip, but would also seem to make holster selection more difficult.

Any more thoughts?
Old December 14, 2007, 12:47 PM   #4
Flexmoney

Are you shooting IPSC or USPSA?

IPSC is the intenational version. USPSA is the version we shoot in the USA (generically called IPSC too).

If in the USA, then magazine capacity is not an issue...you are only allowed to load up to 10 rounds (regardless of max capacity) in USPSA Production division.

Get yourself a G17 or a G34.
Old December 14, 2007, 03:37 PM   #5
dauff

I shoot USPSA.

10 round magazines were not an issue with my Glock-26. I guess the higher capacity would be if I chose to shoot Limited.

I'm not in USPSA to win anything. I shoot to learn from those more experienced than me, learn from my mistakes and experiences competing, and to have fun.

Would a CZ be a detriment to that? Would I have more major issues with CZ's accuracy or reliability?
Old December 14, 2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Flexmoney

CZ is fine. It's hard for me to say without sounding biased, as I am a Glock shooter...but, the Glock is likely to be more trouble free.

If you want a CZ, it's good. But, it certainly isn't an advantage over a Glock. (unless the Glock just doesn't fit your hand)

If you get one...get with my buddy Matt Mink, who shoots for CZ.

http://www.matthewmink.com/

Have Matt set you up and you'll have the best possible CZ for USPSA as you can get.
Old December 14, 2007, 07:24 PM   #7
1SOW

A CZ75 (Well Modified)CAME IN 4th(?) in the 2006 Nationals

The CZ75 is very accurate, dependable and points well. The longer barrel doesn't leave steel standing. I haven't shot the SP01 but hear good things about it.
Fobus, Blade-tech, and most other manufacturers offer plastic/Kydex/Leather Holsters to fit the CZ. I don't believe Uncle Mike's offers one specifically for the CZ. Someone told me the U.M. for the 92F would fit.
http://www.blade-tech.com/
http://www.tactical-store.com/
http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe...10613***694***
Glock parts are EVERYWHERE and generally cheaper. Glock is the Chevrolet of pistols. You can easily find most CZ parts (Springs, Mec-Gar mags, sites etc) on the net.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/ Good Mec-Gar mag prices!
Old December 15, 2007, 12:12 AM   #8
eerw

The CZ is a decent gun to play with..it fits my hand slightly better than the Glock..and I like the extra weight..

+1 on getting with Matt..he will give it a sweet setup..

The G17 will work great too..

mags, parts are not hard to find/get..you actually don't need many extra parts..for the CZ..
Old December 18, 2007, 05:13 AM   #9
softmentor

I'll chime in for HK USP. they have a little more "flip" but the reduced recoil makes it a sweet choice. Match or LE triggers are nice for matches, But I use my DA/SA variant 1 and do just fine with it. very accurate and VERY reliable, no jams.

If you want to go there, you can get an Elite with a match trigger for just over $1000.
Old December 26, 2007, 03:17 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...reasons NOT to shoot a CZ-75..." Nope, but you'll run into silly 'power factor' rules. IPSC, USPSA and IDPA are shooting games that have very little to do with practicality. Great fun though. If you think running around is fun. Shooting bowling pins is far more dignified.
Old December 26, 2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Bob Hostetter

If I was looking for a gun to shoot in Production division it would be the Springfield XD in 9mm. Of all the guns that are Production legal it has the ability to get the best trigger by far. They can be set up very short, very crisp, and very, very light.........