The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2006, 09:40 AM   #1
ZeroJunk

Digital Camera Suggestions

Any suggestions for a new digital camera for hunting trip pictures and hopefully some wildlife pictures.Needs to be compact.Would like to stay under $300.
Old October 12, 2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Maddog_Enigma

I don't like Sony. Had a lot of problems with our last one.

We have a canon now and it's much better.

Whatever you decide, I'm a big fan of BuyDig.com

http://buydig.com/shop/home.aspx

Good prices and BLAZING FAST SHIPPING. No tax and on my last order, I got free shipping also.
Old October 12, 2006, 10:26 AM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

My biggest complaint with digitals is that you don't always see what you get in the big viewscreen. Try to get one with an ocular view lens so that you can actually compose the picture and check for stray problems rather than clicking and hoping for the best.
Rich
Old October 12, 2006, 10:35 AM   #4
Ian2005

Can't go wrong with any Canon

But...

I saw in Best Buy a very since 10.1 megapixel Sony with a touch screen interface for $450. Over your budget, but wow you could blow up those photos to almost 1:1 scale and they'd still look good.
Old October 12, 2006, 11:14 AM   #5
rem33

Small enough to fit in a pocket then it will be with you and not in the way. Memory chip that will take all the pictures you want on each trip.

Last edited by rem33; October 12, 2006 at 04:30 PM.
Old October 12, 2006, 11:25 AM   #6
mikejonestkd

Canon A620 $240, consumer reports rated it number 1

I am looking for a new one and it is at the top of a short list.

Canon A620 Silver 7.1 MP Digital Camera 4X Optical Zoom - Retail

Digital Zoom: 4X
Dimensions: 4.13" x 2.60" x 1.93" /104.8 x 66.0 x 49.1mm
Focal Length: 7.3 - 29.2mm (35mm equivalent: 35 - 140mm)
Gross Pixels: 7.4 MP
Image Sensor: 1/1.8" CCD
Resolution: 3,072 x 2,304
Sensitivity: AUTO, ISO 50/100/200/400 equivalent
Series: PowerShot
Type: Compact
Weight: Approx. 8.29 oz./235g (camera body only)

Model #: 0321B001
Old October 12, 2006, 11:44 AM   #7
citizen

If you're willing to accept my biased advice, look for a Canon Powershot A610 or A620.....production run is over, but I'm sure there are some still available. Very good image quality, either 5 or 7 megapixels. Like most D/C's they are only about 35mm(equivalent) at widest, only 3-4x zoom, non-IS, but for <$250 a great value. Got an A610 (5mp) 'bout a year ago, will ALWAYS keep it. NICE swing-out lcd screen, helps hard-to-frame shots. Many "better" D/C's run 2-3x more which is entry-level for DSLRs, 'nother whole ball of wax. Not a small, pocketable size, but durably made and well-featured; even makes good video.......SD memory cards determine length of vid (512mp card suggested minimum).
Life is too short for dial-up

Last edited by citizen; October 12, 2006 at 01:02 PM.
Old October 12, 2006, 01:45 PM   #8
gak1

Bought the wife a Canon A620 7.1MP last anniversary, no problems, easy to use. IMO buy a fast 1 Gig memory stick, and power adapter so you can upload to a computer without draining the batteries. Also handy at parties when you want to take lots of shots or video and have a power plug nearby.
I've taken maybe 30 photographs in my life so these suck, but to give you an idea:

Old October 13, 2006, 02:39 AM   #9
trooper3385

My wife bought me one of those Kodak digital cameras a few years ago and it takes excellent pics, and the price wasn't to bad. Our local narcotics task force bought use some for work last year and they seem even better. They have some newer, updated models now that I'm sure are better than those. One thing to remember with the digitals is there great during the day, but horrible in lower light situations. The range is going to be real short in the low light unless your using a tripod. You might consider and good 35 mm for what your going to use it for. I usually take both when I go hunting. The digital to take some quick pics to email out to friends and the 35 mm to make sure I get some good pictures if the lighting is not ideal. If you go with the kodak, I wouldn't waste your money on the docking station. It makes it real conveniant to download pics, but for the price, its not that much more easy than just pluging in the USB cord to it to download.
Old October 13, 2006, 09:59 AM   #10
gfen

I can't recommend models, as I don't really pay attention to digital cameras but I can recommend brand: Pentax.

Their lens designs are top notch, and their coating is unsurpassed by anything else out there. Further, they always price their cameras right because in this age they can't ride on name recognition like in the past. Further, they had some of their models so amazingly compact they'd fit in an Altoids tin, and yet STILL not overpriced.

Finally, if you're shopping online, you won't be able to purchase from a reputable dealer for less than you could from either adorama.com or bhphotovideo.com. Mind you, you can pay less, but I did say from a reputable dealer.
Old October 13, 2006, 12:47 PM   #11
guntotin_fool

I bought an A540 canon and have been happy. this place is a good resource for what is good and what is not. I paid about 210 delivered.

use the shopper feature that tells you real street prices for your local.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/FEATURE/FEAT.HTM

I would also add that getting the little old style view finder is really helpful when the sun is too bright to see the video screen.
Old October 13, 2006, 09:06 PM   #12
drinks

2 years ago, I bought a Pentax Optio MX3, out of production even then, replaced by Optio MX4, has a 10x optical zoom, was $170, then, have no idea what the current example is.
I am very happy with the camera, the only update I shall do is to go to an SLR.
I have used film SLRs for over 45 years, back to a Practica with no meter and waist level viewfinder.
I have abandoned my 3 film SLRs and am just saving my dollars for a digital SLR.
Old October 13, 2006, 10:55 PM   #13
gfen

After many years of swearing I'd learn to coat my own glass plates before I bought a digicam, I cracked.

I bought a Pentax K100D to augment my beloved view cameras. The final straw was shake reduction _in the body_! And, for under $600, to boot.

That said, I bought another box of sheet film in the same order that brought my DSLR in.. I'm not out of that fight yet. I'm probably done with 35mm film, but I'm gonna keep up with 120, 4x5, and 8x10. Heh. If I didn't have the big'uns to fall back on, I'd probably have dropped the full $900 for a K10D.
Old October 14, 2006, 12:00 AM   #14
Trip20

I'll throw in another vote for the Canon PowerShot A620.

It's been a good camera for me since I purchased it in February 2006.

It's packed with features.

I bought a huge 1gig memory card and it's virtually impossible to fill up -- but more importantly it allows you to take full advantage of the video features (yes you can take digital movies with sound). I plan on using it to film a deer hunt this year.

One of the other great features of this camera is the AV cables that allow you to plug the camera into a television, and view your photos just as you would on the camera's LCD. Great for showing a few people some photos, rather than everyone trying to crowd around the camera.

The LCD window swings out and swivels in all sorts of directions allowing you to take pictures from difficult angles while ensuring your subject remains in the middle of your picture.

There's a color-swap feature where you can train the camera to make anything red, look blue (for example). It sounds silly but it's a fun feature. I think I'll take some pictures of a blue deer this year... that outta make people do a double-take.

Too many features to get into here, but those are just a few, and definitely not the more technical of the features available.

Here are a few pictures and keep in mind I know nothing about lighting, focus, or any other darn thing other than how to use a few of the camera's feature to my novice advantage:

Last edited by Trip20; October 14, 2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 14, 2006, 08:22 AM   #15
22-rimfire

One of the reasons that most digital cameras work poorly in low light is the speed of the lens. This is a topic that used to be discussed a great deal with the regular 35mm cameras (i.e. How fast is the lens?). Things pretty much went down the tubes in terms of speed when the auto focus 35mm started being made. The digitals are an extension of that trend. So, if you want speed; it will cost you dearly.

Same principles apply to digital photography as regular film type photography.

One of the bigger problems with digital cameras is camera motion (hence the picture is blurred slightly). Small pocket sized cameras are very difficult to hold still without a tripod. That is why you see the full sized digitals being manufactured and sold by companies like Cannon and Nikon. You pay for quality.

All that being said, I have a little pocket sized digital that I use most of the time. I just don't try to take pictures that are beyond its abilities. It is mostly for snap shots.
Old October 14, 2006, 03:08 PM   #16
ZeroJunk

Trip20,Those pictures are great.There are several of those cameras listed on eBay.I assume the A630 is an updated version .May be the way to go.Thanks everybody.
Old October 14, 2006, 07:43 PM   #17
Trip20

Yeah I think the 630 is a newer version. I just went to Canon's website to compare them side-by-side... doesn't look like there are too many differences so if the 630 is a lot more expensive it might not be a bad idea to go for the 620.

I believe the 630, while newer, does not have a swivel view finder, but it's a bit larger than the 620 view finder. Personally, I don't think I could live with out the swivel view finder. That is definitely one feature I'll look for in any digital camera I buy in years to come. I wouldn't have been able to appreciate it until enjoying it's convenience first hand.
Old October 14, 2006, 08:00 PM   #18
22-rimfire

The full sized Kodak digitals have gotten great reviews. Not as handy carrying hunting, but easier to take pictures.
Old October 16, 2006, 04:20 AM   #19
littlmak

If you can swing it check out video cameras. I had a sony that had high pixel count, 32X zoom, excellent low light capabilities. + moving pics if you run across Big Foot
Old October 20, 2006, 11:25 AM   #20
ZeroJunk

I bought a refurbished Canon A530 from Adorama for $109.95 and a 512MB memory card for $25.95.I am going to buy a Rebel body since I already have a nice EOS lense and not try to kill two birds with one stone.( Unless the qulity of the compact is so good that I don't need anything else.)If the A530 gets damaged on a wilderness hunt I am not out that much.Hope I can post a picture of a nice bull Elk in about 3 weeks.Thanks for good advice.
Old October 20, 2006, 12:38 PM   #21
BIGRED

I Have the Canon A620 and actually palan on getting a 2nd unit because between me and the wife we both need one. it takes incredible pictures. i took some pictures @ 3:00 am 2 months ago after gator hunting and u can't tell it was dark outside, no ambient light (everglades) this camera is by far the best on the market. battery life is great, and SD card prices are cheap. so u never have to worry about recharging batteries (like Sony, Nikon, etc) just pop in a few spare AA's and u are ready. i put a 2GB sd card in there and i NEVER need to be concerned about going on a week vacation and running out of space. pictures sizes are about 3-5 MB on the maxed out resolution & size settings. the picture detail & quailty are 2nd to none. another great thing is if u accidently bump the selector switch into another mode..... so what it still takes great pictures, all u need to do is point and click and you won't be dissapointed.