The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 23, 2006, 02:27 PM   #1
DUNN38

another lefever nitro question

I inherited a 16 gauge lefever nitro special. [was previously my great grandfathers]. It is marked on barrel Lefever Arms Co.,Ithaca N.Y. Has the duck over pond on both sides[just barely visible do to handling]. Numbers match on forearm stock and reciever[ 147xxx]. Both stocks are checkered and made of dark wood [walnut?].Butt stock has just a few marks [small], i think the butt plate may have been changed due to it is plastic and marked Ithaca Gun Co.?? Forearm stock has some scratches and dings. Barrels appear to have been blued and probably 50% worn but no rust. Inside of barrels are spotless and shiny. I can't find any markings on barrels as to the choke? Inside left barrel is .638 , right is .645? Full and mod.?? It also has the shell ejecter on barrels.
Questions being how can i find out manufacture date? Also your opinion as to what the value might be? I know this is hard question without seeing just asking your opinion. thanks DUNN38
Old January 23, 2006, 08:49 PM   #2
johnbt

That's probably the original butt plate. Ithaca bought Lefever in 1916 and the Nitro Special was introduced in 1921. All Lefever production stopped in 1948. I don't know where to find serial number info and I haven't kept up on Nitro Special prices. My uncle bought a well used 12 ga. (from his uncle's estate sale) five or ten years ago and didn't pay more than $150-$200 IIRC.
The current Blue Book price on a 12 ga. in 100% condition is $575 and a 16 ga. is $725.

John
Old January 23, 2006, 08:55 PM   #3
johnbt

www.gunshop.com/dgsnos3.htm