The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 20, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1
the_pragmaticist

Skeet shot range

I apologize if this has been asked or answered - the searches were returning an overload of unrelated info, so I'll just ask. I'm looking to pick up a few acres of land in the near future. A contingency is that I must be able to shoot (both legally and safely) on the property.

Setting up a backstop is no biggie, but I'd really love to be able to shoot skeet as well. Of course, the last thing you want to do is pepper someone's house or a road with skeet shot. I'm sure it doesn't do any damage on its way down (the stuff is practically dust) but a fine layer of lead over the wrong part of my property would make me mad too.

So, the question is thus: How far does a nominal (30' angle) shot of #8 or #9 shot really travel before coming down to earth?

Thanks for any info.
Old October 20, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Jim Watson

“Round balls have a much smaller ballistic coefficient than pointed bullets and therefore the range of shot fired from shotguns is much smaller than the rifle bullets. The Ordnance Technical Manual 9-1990 gives the following distances for shot when fired in full choke shotguns: No. 00 Buckshot, 600 yds.; No. 8 shot, 230 yds.;and No. 9 shot, 210 yds. This manual also gives a formula called "Journee's Formula" for determining the approximate maximum ranges for shotguns. This formula states that the maximum range, in yards, is roughly 2200 times the shot diameter, in inches."

By Journee's Formula a No 8, .09" in diameter (subtract the shot size from 17 to get the diameter in hundredths of an inch) times 2200 is 198 yards. Probably based on black powder velocity for soft black shot.

By actual trial when laying out our club's ranges, the Falling Out Of The Sky range for No 7 1/2 is about 720 feet, 240 yards.
Old October 20, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3
the_pragmaticist

Wow - thank you. That's a bit shorter than I expected, and good news too.

Thanks again!
Old October 20, 2009, 12:21 PM   #4
oneounceload

Quote:
Q. How far does lead shot travel? Does shot weight make a difference?

A. It depends on several factors, there isn't a definitive answer to your question, Brendan. What we must be aware of and abide by though, is the recommended distance in front of the gun which is known to be a safe zone for shot to travel through and fall on - 300 metres.
Many years ago, I heard a story that told of a cartridge maker who tested his cartridges on a canal, firing into the air at different angles towards another who marked the ripples from the shot entering the water by which they could establish distance for any given load. Whether it's right or not I don't know but the figure of 215 yards quoted to me from this heresay appears to be within the realms of possibility, given data available from more modern testing. Several research papers are used to quote the distance that lead shot travels although they mostly point to the same set of results so what follows is as a guide only, it isn't to be taken as an excuse to shoot with less than a 300 metres safety area in front.
So how far does shot travel, then?
Firstly, we have to consider the angle of elevation at which the gun is fired; there is an optimum angle at which lead shot will travel the furthest when shot from a gun. Most people will tell you that the gun needs to be held at 45º from level ground when fired but this isn't the case - it would be if we lived and shot in a vacuum, physics shows us the shot would proscribe a parabolic arc which would make things far too easy for us. As we are surrounded by air, the shot has to overcome air resistance and friction so the angle a shotgun needs to be for the shot to travel furthest is 32º-33º from level ground. Pointed higher or lower than that will make the shot land sooner, i.e. shorter than it's maximum distance.
Secondly, we have to consider the wind velocity. If you shoot straight up into the air it is unlikely that you will be hit by the falling shot from your gun, a hefty breeze will blow shot up to 70m sideways so it follows that a wind from behind you when you pull the trigger will help the lead travel further and conversely, a wind in your face will shorten the distance it travels.
Thirdly, we must take into account the size and weight of the lead pellets in your cartridge. The larger and heavier the shot, the further it will travel. US shot size 1 (4.06mm) could travel about 350m given the right conditions whereas US shot size 12 might only travel 110m.
So, given all this, how far away can we as clay shooters expect to see our shot land? Most of the results from tests suggest that common clay shot sizes will travel between 160 and 215m which all makes sense of the safety zone if we take a strong wind into account. 9 shot will cover the shortest distance while 7 shot will travel the furthest.
Found it here:

http://www.westletongunclub.co.uk/advice/qanda.htm

I would allow 300 yards to account for wind - planting trees all around will help trap some as well as reduce some of the noise.

Remember, if you are shooting the GAME called skeet - you will have shot traveling in a 180 degree arc (some folks call backyard clays "skeet" which is not truly correct), so you will need to allow for that distance in all those directions. I would also advise that you check with your local authorities to make sure you're not considered a "residential" area where shooting might not be allowed. (Saw that in NV on BLM land because of some homes built right next to the boundary)
Old October 20, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
the_pragmaticist

Oneounceload,

I do understand the arc involved to actually play skeet. Depending on the layout of the property, that may or may not be possible. I'm looking at a few places that back up to the cuyahoga national valley though, which pretty much opens up the books. There are hiking trails and whatnot back there though, as well as some private properties set well into the park, so it made sense to check this range.

300 yards should be no problem in all directions.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:03 PM   #6
oneounceload

Cool - that would be fun to have my own target range (I'd like to have a skeet/trap/5-stand combo with a voice controller)...
Old October 20, 2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Technosavant

Quote:
Cool - that would be fun to have my own target range (I'd like to have a skeet/trap/5-stand combo with a voice controller)...
Who wouldn't love that? You could have BBQs that would be absolutely EPIC.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Well, why not? All it takes is money, if you have the acreage.
You may have to forego a new vehicle, luxury cruise, golf cart, and bass boat, but if you are willing to be a monomaniac about your hobby, it can be done.
Old October 20, 2009, 01:35 PM   #9
oneounceload

The LAND is the cost - used machines can be bought for a mere pittance as gun club after gun club goes out of business.

IMO, even more fun would be a pigeon ring set up.....now THERE'S some epic BBQing going on.........
Old January 23, 2017, 11:33 PM   #10
dhenzler

Skeet Range Requirements

Setting up a private range was my dream. I made it happen here in Morehead City NC on part of my 18 acre spread. I am bounded by the Croatan National Forest to the North and East of my land. The skeet range is centered about 200 yards from the Eastern Border, and the impact zone for shot is well within those boundaries due to trees on my land.

It was quite an undertaking to build the range, and the costs went above the budget by several thousand dollars. But if you're going to do this... do it once and do it right. I won't live forever, and at some point will look for someone who loves shooting as much as I do to buy the place from me, and give me rights to use the ranges until I am no longer able to shoot. But I hope for 5 to 10 more years of shooting which should just about do what I'd hoped.

I'd be pleased to provide my plans to others who might want to do similar. I had a Doctor in town tell me about his wooden buildings on swamp land. I thought his approach was dangerous. Machines can get wet and wooden buildings don't last forever... then again what does. Concrete block with commercial grade steel doors is the way to go. Painted to keep them waterproof.

I started a club, and it is slowly growing in membership. I hope to have a dozen members next year. MEC Traps are the way to go, and they have some that are affordable and hold 135 targets (a case) each which gives you 270 targets... enough to last a 5 man squad two rounds with a few extra clays for "mulligans". I bought the 300E machines and am thrilled. 600 targets lasts 4 rounds nicely without messing with loading during a round.

Check out my club http://ccskeet.com and don't hesitate to call if you have any questions.
Old January 24, 2017, 02:13 AM   #11
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

I shoot Trap every week. Although the game is different than skeet, and although the targets travel differently. The shotfall zone is the same diameter.

I just checked the ATA layout for a Trap Field. The shotfall zone is called out as 900 feet (300 yards). I was actually a bit surprised it is that far, but that's what the ATA says. For the shot sizes used in Trap (or Skeet) #7 1/2 to #9, all shot should fall to the ground within that radius. Actually, in standard Trap we stand 16 yards back of the Trap machine, and the 900 foot dimension is measured from the Trap machine, so figure 316 yards (948 feet).
Old January 24, 2017, 10:49 AM   #12
Rifletom

dhenzler,
Now, that is a very nice range you've built on your property. Nicely done!
Old January 24, 2017, 11:37 AM   #13
FITASC

dhenzler,

IF your club keeps growing, you will want to stop buying targets from walmart. Those are not up to tournament levels, nor the speeds and stresses those machines put on the targets. White Flyer pheasant level is their best quality target. My clubs uses some of the old Winchester-Western single stacks on the 5 stand; they'll hold a case. On the serious skeet field, they use either PAT or Lincolns. The carousels have 8-9 stacks so about 5-6 cases get loaded at once. That's a real time saver when you have folks shooting a lot.

Another thing to think about as your club grows and there's been a lot of shooting is having a lead reclaimer come in and "mine" your field. They take a machine that acts similar to a peanut harvester or sod cutter and get the lead. They typically take 60% for themselves. Washed and regraphited, reclaimed lead can then be resold to your members for a nice profit that can be used to pay other costs.

Good Luck!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa