The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2016, 02:49 PM   #1
BlackPowderBen

Reloading Shotshells with Lee Loaders for Pump Shotguns

Those of you who have loaded shot shells with lee loaders, can the shells be cycled in a pump or semi auto or will they jam?
Thanks!
Old April 15, 2016, 03:19 PM   #2
FITASC

If you put the proper amount of final crimp curve, they will do fine. A MEC is a better choice as things can be mechanically adjusted; whereas the Lee is more "by feel". I used a Lee several decades ago for hunting loads in my Ithaca 37 and they did just fine.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 15, 2016, 04:36 PM   #3
Blindstitch

I second FITASC.

I have the 12 and 20 gauge lee loaders from back in the day when my grandpa couldn't afford shells and started reloading. He was born in 1924 so he was very frugal. When he passed I got the 12,20, 30-06, 30-30, and 300 win mag.

My other grandfather who's turning 82 this year and reloads convinced me it was way easier to get more modern equipment.

If you look around you can find the Mec loaders for as little as $50. Maybe lower depending on age and quality. My friend has one and I wish I lived closer. First time I used it I loaded up 100 rounds a lot quicker than I thought was possible.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEC-Model-60...MAAOSw2GlXDY5K
Old April 15, 2016, 07:56 PM   #4
Kvon2

It should work but at least with my Lee loader I need to have good shells or else they won't hold the crimp. Winchester AA's are the absolute best in my opinion.
Old April 15, 2016, 08:45 PM   #5
Cowboy_mo

I haven't used it for 30+ years, but when Dad was alive and my brother was close, we loaded the heck out of 20 gauge with a LEE and never had any problems running them through pumps or autos.

As someone above mentioned, you have to be careful on the final crimp.
Old April 16, 2016, 09:34 AM   #6
Economist

I loaded 12 ga on a Lee Load-All for a few years and never had a problem cycling them through my pump. The Load-All produces ok shells once you get the feel for it, but it is excruciatingly slow.
Old April 16, 2016, 02:46 PM   #7
BlackPowderBen

Thanks good info!
Old April 17, 2016, 06:16 AM   #8
Virginian

Yes, keep in mind that there is more than one model Lee Loader. I have used a Load All for 20 and 28 gauge and it's about as fast as a single stage MEC, and produces equal shells for me.