The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 1, 2013, 12:12 PM   #1
coolhand35

Sig Sauer SP2022 .40cal

I recently bought a NIB Sig Sauer SP2022 and have not been out to shoot it yet. Is the SP2022 a reliable firearm? Has anyone had experience with it?
Old January 1, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Seems like a question you'd ask before purchasing, not after...

That said, the search function will reveal a number of threads of those happy with the SP2022.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 1, 2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Leejack

The answers are???

yes and yes!
Old January 1, 2013, 01:41 PM   #4
shuler13

It's a great shooter. Bonus: it's a great value. My favorite traits are that it has a great trigger and I am able to shoot very accurately with it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old January 1, 2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Leejack

A little eye candy to start out the new year!

Old January 1, 2013, 02:10 PM   #6
BrokenBottles

Most people love the gun. Mine(in 9mm) has only ever had a problem slowly cycling snap caps because they aren't the same exact size as actual rounds. I love mine, I can't imagine getting rid of it.

The only problems I ever hear about are people not liking the way it feels in their hand and complaining about the double action trigger pull's length. The da trigger pull is so long because it's considered a safety feature(you have more time before the shot is fired to make absolutely sure you want to completely depress the trigger) but it's not really all that long and most of the time, this gun will only be shot in SA so it's a non issue for people who don't carry this gun with a round chambered.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Leejack

The only two things I don't love about it are:

Wierd takedown and the short trigger.

Other than that, it does drive tacs!
Old January 2, 2013, 09:07 PM   #8
flyinpolack

I have an older 2340, it must have 6000 rounds through it or so by now.
I changed the recoil spring but otherwise it has been a flawless pistol so far.
It does have a funky takedown, but I've seen worse
Old January 2, 2013, 09:27 PM   #9
The_Meteorologist

Agreed with the other comments.
I enjoy the SP 2022, and I do firmly believe, after shooting and testing many guns at a LGS, that it is a killer deal (mine was 430 new...can find them as low as 399). Very similar to the high end and pricey Sig P229. Personally I have zero problems with the polymer compared to all metal framed P229, and I find it a worthy tradeoff for 600-700 dollars saved. Out of the box, only one magazine is the only true drawback (while the price is right...it is still a "hassle" to go online and have one shipped...especially up here in AK).

My sig works flawlessly (1000 rounds thus far), with the only operating negative being the slightly loose magazine (it rattles near the bottom if you move the gun in a fast motion). The DAO pull is indeed very long and heavy, but then again, I wanted that, and I have no qualms about carrying with a round in the chamber. I am by no means an expert (in fact, I am a relatively new conceal carry user), but I do believe statistics point out that, should a conflict arise where a firearm is needed in self defense, it tens to happen quickly, and a loaded and ready to fire defense weapon is much preferred to a unloaded/and or loaded w/safety firearm. I am still getting practice with the double to single (we should all be practicing with our carry weapons extensively, anyways), but I do feel (IMHO) that it is a safe carry option with minimal chance for accidental discharge (once again, with good practice and safe handling techniques with finger off the trigger). It is a solid "in-between" from models with a safety to models with no safety and a striker fired system (glock, M&P...which I own, etc.). My only other complaint (which is well documented with this firearm) is how easily it scratches on the polymer portion.

I have a Streamlight TLR-1 on mine since I tend to be out a lot late at night:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg download.jpg (111.4 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by The_Meteorologist; January 2, 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:37 PM   #10
The_Meteorologist

To Leejack

To LeeJack, I see you got one of the versions with a loaded chamber indicator on the side. I know some models have one on top. I wish mine had either, but I got the model with none. That is another "slight" negative IMO. Personally I am not sure why Sig ships 3 different versions.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Gaerek

My wife has one (in 9mm) and loves it. I personally don't like it. Not a fan of the trigger (but I don't like DA/SA triggers as a rule). Dis-assembly and Re-assembly are kind of a pain, especially if you're used to easy dis-assembly/re-assembly of a Glock, 92FS, or other.

As far as reliability, it's a great shooter, have seen probably 2000 rounds go through them without a hiccup.
Old January 3, 2013, 05:01 PM   #12
BrokenBottles

Quote:
To LeeJack, I see you got one of the versions with a loaded chamber indicator on the side. I know some models have one on top. I wish mine had either, but I got the model with none. That is another "slight" negative IMO. Personally I am not sure why Sig ships 3 different versions.
I think he just has the external extractor.
The SigPro 2022 comes in so many odd little configurations that it will hurt your brain to try and list them.

Here's the only pic I have of mine.
Nitron finish, internal extractor, no LCI, $44 extra mag and the first 200 rounds I ever bought

Old January 3, 2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Gaerek

That's something else I noticed about the 2022, it only comes with one mag (that might not always be true) and additional mags are $40+ a piece. It (since the bad language filter got my original word) made me extremely upset to spend another $90 on what seemed like a good deal just to have what most consider now to be a standard number of mags that should come with a gun.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:14 AM   #14
RC20

I find the disaably just fine (and there is none of that nasty trigger pulling needed on other guns, de-cocike it and off it comes.

I like the combo take down lever and slide hold back (makes for a clearne less busy left side).

De-cock is great.

Not sure about scratches, knocked mine around and its fine. Also guess I would not care, this is duty gun and I don't think any of the poly guns are works of art and its nice not to coddle it.

Annoying on the magazine. one extra is about alll you should need anyway. Gets worse than that the wife should be handling you the modern musket! (or be backing you up and take over the firing duties while you load up with the long term combat stuff)

Its got the same quality as guns twice the price. SA trigger is good as is the DA which does its job as a safety. You can always cock it.

Mines been flawless, my newphe got one with a bad chamber that had to go back and they corrected that.
Old January 4, 2013, 10:01 AM   #15
Gaerek

Quote:
Annoying on the magazine. one extra is about alll you should need anyway. Gets worse than that the wife should be handling you the modern musket! (or be backing you up and take over the firing duties while you load up with the long term combat stuff)
!!!

What happens when magazine #1 fails? And you need the gun? What if you need that 17th shot (assuming 9mm, that is)?

I'll quote Clint Smith, in reference to the number of magazines (including the one in your gun) you should carry,

One is none.
Two is One.
Three is where you should be.

There's absolutely no reason that gun shouldn't come with at least 2 mags. Coming with one is just ridiculous. I know, they did it to keep the cost down. But most would gladly pay $440 for the gun instead of $400, just to have an extra mag.

You're justifying Sig going cheap on the gun, just because it's the one you have. No need to justify your choice. I have a laundry list of complaints with most of my guns...none are perfect. But really, only one magazine? And when we bought my wife's, there wasn't a single one in town for over 2 months. Had to buy them direct from Sig...and they were charging $45 a piece, not including shipping. Ridiculous.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:27 PM   #16
RC20

If you don't like the lack of magazines and you knew it, don't buy the gun.

Pretty simple.

You sound really angry for your choice.