The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 11:15 PM   #1
Kermit

replacing my 22lr revolver

i bought a taurus mod 94 a long long long long time ago. this thing was one of the first guns i bought. thing is, after all this time, all the adventures, all the rounds shot and all the use & abuse, i think it may be time to replace it.
FYI -
i bought a S&W mod 17-2 last year and as nice as it is (and it's really nice!) it's just not "it." earlier this year, i ran into a ruger 3 screw single six w/ both cylinders that's just so much fun (but in a different way)
so, i come hear for suggestions -- what does the collective think?

thanks
Old November 17, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
tlm225

If you liked the size of the Taurus 94, look for a S&W 34 or 63 both are "J" frame .22's (your model 17 is built on the larger "K" frame).
Old November 17, 2012, 11:52 PM   #3
TennJed

I did a lot of research looking for my "it" 22 lr revolver and settled on the S&W 617. It is a 10 shot full frame
Old November 18, 2012, 01:17 AM   #4
weblance

Kermit... what barrel length is your Taurus 94? I can give some advice, but it would be helpful to know what you are looking for, length wise. If it is 4" and you want 4" again, the New Ruger SP101 is an excellent revolver. I assume you want Double Action, because the 94 is DA. I have 5 DA 22 revolvers, each one different. I have a 2" Taurus 94, a Ruger LCR-22, a Smith & Wesson 3" 317, the Ruger 4" SP101-22, and a 4" Smith & Wesson 617. I also have a Ruger Single Ten 5½", and 2 Ruger Single Six convertibles, one a 5½", the other, a 4⅝".

The Ruger Single Six convertibles are great, because they are essentially 2 guns in one. The Single Ten is a neat twist on the Single Action six-shooter idea.

If your usage for your revolver is hunting small game, the Single Actions are fine, but for plinking, the Double Actions have the advantage for ease of load/unload.

If you are just looking for a 22 revolver that can do it all, I have to say the new 4" SP101-22 is the one. Its 9 oz lighter than the S&W 617, has the accuracy you need for whatever comes along, and will easily last for many, many years, and thousands of rounds.

I like all my rimfire revolvers, but if I could only keep one, It would be a hard fight between my SP101 and my Single Ten, and the final keeper would be the SP101.
Old November 18, 2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Hal

Quote:
i bought a taurus mod 94 a long long long long time ago. this thing was one of the first guns i bought. thing is, after all this time, all the adventures, all the rounds shot and all the use & abuse, i think it may be time to replace it.
Why not get another 94?
Old November 18, 2012, 09:27 AM   #6
PetahW

Because, IF Kermit had originally bought a S&W Kit Gun, lo those many years ago, he wouldn't now have to be looking for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit

Kermit: While the Ruger SA's are fine, please consider that you're used to, and like a DA revolver.

Why not look at the newly-reintroduced DA .22LR Ruger SP-101 ?

Old November 18, 2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Jim Watson

Can't help you, man.
I have a Combat Masterpiece .22 ("pre-18" to the Digital Generation) and that is "it" for me. The Kit Gun is too dinky, the Ruger too slow, the other brands just not right in my hand.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:14 AM   #8
22-rimfire

My "IT" is a 4" Colt Diamondback. But I very much like the S&W M18, a 4" M17, and 4" M617. I have my share of the 6" 22 revolvers, but find I prefer the 4". I however do like my 5" S&W M63. My only criticism is the sights are very tiny. Holsters for field use are a bit of a problem with them unless you use holster for a 6".

Since you have shot the Taurus for years, you're used to a fairly heavy trigger on a DA 22. I would suggest you try to find one of the new Ruger SP-101's. You'll probably be happy.

Most like the Ruger LCR-22 for a plinker. A 3" S&W M63 is high in my want to buy list when finances are right.
Old November 18, 2012, 12:26 PM   #9
spanishjames

Quote:
Since you have shot the Taurus for years, you're used to a fairly heavy trigger on a DA 22. I would suggest you try to find one of the new Ruger SP-101's. You'll probably be happy.
The trigger pull won't be any better. I handled a new SP101 in 22lr at the LGS recently, and the trigger pull was very heavy. It seems most 22lr revolvers need a heavy trigger pull to consistently ignite a rimfire cartridge. That said, the Ruger should last a lifetime, and be very reliable.
Old November 18, 2012, 02:33 PM   #10
weblance

Quote:
The trigger pull won't be any better. I handled a new SP101 in 22lr at the LGS recently, and the trigger pull was very heavy. It seems most 22lr revolvers need a heavy trigger pull to consistently ignite a rimfire cartridge. That said, the Ruger should last a lifetime, and be very reliable.
I replaced the trigger return spring on my SP101 with an 8# Wolff(factory is 11#). I left the factory mainspring in, because the reliability wasnt 100% with a lower power mainspring. I also replaced the trigger return spring AND mainspring on my Taurus 94. The Taurus factory mainspring must be about 50#. I used an 8# trigger return spring, and an 11# mainspring. The Taurus SHOULD feel lighter, but isnt even close to the SP101. The trigger on the SP101 is smooth, reasonably light, and very predictable. The Taurus trigger is rough, hard, and gets really hard to pull right before it breaks. The SP101 trigger has none of these issues. A $3 spring change makes the SP101 so much better than the Taurus, even though I changed both springs on the Taurus. I like my 2" Taurus 94. I bought it because no one makes a 2" all steel 9 shot revolver with adjustable sights, but as far as triggers are concerned, compared to the SP101, the Taurus isnt even close.