The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 16, 2012, 02:37 PM   #1
Bob Wright

More on the Hy Hunter......

I trial fitted a Colt Navy trigger guard and a Colt Single Action backstrap to my new Hy Hunter:

Parts fit up pretty good, action works with them in place, but the mainspring screw and trigger guard/backstrap screws are not compatible. And, certainly new grips will be required.

Bob Wright
Old November 16, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
DFrame

Looks pretty good. What would have to be done to fit the backstrap screws, or is it even possible. Different thread? Hole position?
Old November 16, 2012, 08:56 PM   #3
Bob Wright

I think Uberti screws will work in the brass trigger guard.

These screws are the one that joins the backstrap to the trigger guard and the front of the butt, and the screw that holds the mainspring. I have a couple of Ubertis and will try them to see. Also thinking I may buy a brass backstrap and save this blued one for another gun I don't have yet.

My wife finds it amusing that parts appear in my parts box long before I have a gun to fit them to. She recently saw a hammer on my desk and asked, "Is that going to materialize into another gun?"

Bob Wright

P.S. It did.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:39 AM   #4
Duke City Six

Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, but don't you mean "front" strap?
Old November 17, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
jhenry

I have three J.P Sauer single actions. A Hy Hunter in .45 LC, a Western Marshall in .357, and a Power Mag in .357. The Power Mag is all steel, but the others have those annoying aluminum parts. I am watching this thing unfold so I can have some ideas as to what I can do. Any ideas as to the aluminum ejector housing? What swaps in.
Old November 17, 2012, 10:14 AM   #6
DFrame

Bob, I have whats probably a very similar parts box. I've even got a complete Officers ACP slide assembly in there.
Old November 17, 2012, 03:44 PM   #7
Bob Wright

Duke City Six:

Quote:
Please forgive me if I'm mistaken, but don't you mean "front" strap?
No, Sir. The trigger guard and backstrap make up the grip on most single actions, condensed into one piece as the grip frame by Ruger.

Been this terminology ever since I've been fooling with single actions. At that was just shortly after the invention of gun powder!

Bob Wright
Old November 17, 2012, 04:21 PM   #8
DFrame

If you could find a brass backstrap to go with that brass trigger guard I for one think the gun would look fantastic!
Old November 17, 2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Bob Wright

Quote:
Dframe:
If you could find a brass backstrap to go with that brass trigger guard I for one think the gun would look fantastic!
I'm looking! I'm looking!

Bob Wright
Old November 17, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Duke City Six

Bob,

Thanks for clarifying that. I was thinking that you were referring to two new brass pieces (the trigger guard and the front of the grip frame). Looking at the photo, I see that the old trigger guard includes what I thought of as the "front strap," and that the other piece you replaced was, of course, the back strap, which is not brass.

I've followed a number of your posts, and I know you to be a single action aficionado, so I should have known that your terminology was correct and that I just wasn't getting it.

I'm new to single actions. Thanks for furthering my education.

Last edited by Duke City Six; November 19, 2012 at 12:13 AM.