The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2012, 12:41 PM   #1
rhinonewshooter

Federal or Gun Club - which do you prefer and why?

So I just ordered some Estate shells #9 1 ounce from Cabelas on sale with free shipping. They are nice to have around for a bit of a softer round sometimes, and particularly for newer shooters.

I was looking around Cabelas - they have the Federal red white and blue shells, as well as the breast cancer pink ones for 59.99 for a flat. I can get a flat of Gun clubs (same 1 1/8 ounce #8) at Dicks for 59.98. At Dicks I pay tax, with Cabelas I wait for the delivery man.

I don't yet reload, but have kept my gun club shells lately in the event I ever start reloading 12s, I'll have a bit of head start.

With that said, I have found the WallyWorld Federals to burn a bit dirtier than the Gun Club. Do you find the same thing? Do you find the "special labeled" shells also burn dirtier?

All things being equal, I tend to favor the Gun Clubs, but at 7% higher for the tax, after a few flats, it ends up costing me an extra box or two of shells for the privilege.

So, Federal or Gun Clubs?

Oh, forgot to mention - I shoot both a Beretta 390 as well as a new to me Winchester 101 - but the 101 has sub gauge sets, so I will likely be shooting more 20 out of that one for the time being - because I can

I shoot 5-6 rounds when I go shooting, and have been trying to go at least once a week - although Mother's day screwed that up

Then I just need to figure out where to get some economical 28 and 410s - like that will ever happen.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:53 PM   #2
KnightofCydonia

I've tried both. Both work well in my Mossberg.

I think Federal is slightly cleaner, but really no major difference. Federal is perceived as being slightly better ammo in general over Remington.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3
zippy13

I reload, so I avoid the economy shells. If you plan to reload eventually, start collecting premium hulls now and avoid the cheap stuff. I find it much easier to have all of my hulls from the same maker. Typically, I use new shells only for competition. The only Feds I use/reload are the paper hulls -- they are sweet shooters (and smell good).

If you want a good value in .410s and 28s, just invent a time machine (or reload).
Old May 18, 2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

There's one difference here. A "Portion" of the Fed proceeds goes to either cancer research or The Wounded Warrior Project. Both are worthy causes.

I've used both kinds of Fed stuff and the GCs. Both give decent performance and both hulls can be reloaded. I load them once for the pumps and pitch them after.

In Gun Clubs I go for 8 shot, 1 oz.

The Feds are 1 1/8 oz, but the speed's rolled back to 1145 FPS. I still notice the kick more than the 1 oz GCs, but it's not that bad to me.

One 870 here does not "like" GCs, and balks on them a bit. All other shotguns here have zero probs with either...

Get what you want...
Old May 18, 2012, 03:24 PM   #5
DAP90

I find the GC’s to be cleaner but not drastically so.

Dick’s regularly has sales on the GC’s so it’s easier to stick with the same shell and loading; which I prefer to do. I just pop in every once in awhile and stock up when I have the right combination of sale price and coupons.

The other thing is Dick’s offers a 10% discount on 10 boxes or more. They don’t always advertise it but I emailed customer service and they replied that it is a policy, not a sale and is always in effect. Combined with the sale price of $59.98 puts the GC’s around $5.40.
Old May 18, 2012, 03:41 PM   #6
oneounceload

The cheapest shell will perform better than you can shoot

That said, IF you are going to reload, the GCs are the way to go - if not, get the Federals and throw them away

I reload for practice and only shoot factory for registered - wally world was the cheapest for Federals at one point, but ifi can find RIO or Kemen for less, then i go with it

I stick to 1oz loads, because that is the max allowed for FITASC and go with 7.5 or 8, typically running between 1200 and 1250 - nice, low recoiling ammo
Old May 18, 2012, 04:23 PM   #7
rbernie

Quote:
IF you are going to reload, the GCs are the way to go - if not, get the Federals and throw them away
^^^
This.

It must also be said that the Federals smell a lot better when fired.
Old May 18, 2012, 04:55 PM   #8
BigJimP

Estate's are the "low end" Federal shells...( left over floor sweepings probably) ...?? ....and I think they're really dirty.

Federal shells in general, I think are pretty dirty ...and I don't know what powder they use...but shooting them smells a little bit like old sweat socks left in a locker too long...

Rem Gun Clubs use the same recipe as Rem STS or Rem Nitro hulls...but the gun club hulls are thinner ..and more brittle ...and they'll crack in 3 or 4 reloads...vs the STS hull in 12ga or 20ga will last for 20+ reloads. I'm not saying don't keep some of the Rem Gun Clubs for reloading down the road ...but I wouldn't keep 5,000 of them either ...
------------
If you're just tossing out your hulls...it probably doesn't matter what you shoot..../ cut a couple of the shells open....and look at the shot ..roll it around see how uniform it is ....vs the other shells you like .../ take a few shells to the pattern board...and see how they pattern / or do you have some holes in the pattern... That'll really tell you which one you'll prefer...

I reload Rem STS or Nitro hulls in 12ga, 20ga, 28ga and .410 ....( although in a 28ga - they are not very tough / and the hull tends to break inside the brass cup...)...
Old May 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #9
oneounceload

Jim,my friend, I get 10+ out of my GC hulls on the reloads - but they are loaded with 7/8oz running about 1250 - not too heavy or too hot
Old May 18, 2012, 06:35 PM   #10
BigJimP

That's more reloads than I hear guys get out here....but maybe those guys are loading them hotter than they need to....don't really know.

I tried a few ....a few yrs ago ...with my standard 1 oz at 1225 fps ...and none of them lived past 5 loads.../ most of them split - about mid way on the sides.../ maybe they've gotten better. So I just went back to my standard STS hulls.
Old May 19, 2012, 07:45 AM   #11
PJR

These are decisions based on price. If they are the same price or less I'd rather have the Gun Clubs. They burn a little cleaner and IMO smell better than the Federals. But if I have a choice I'd rather shoot Winchester Super Target and even better Winchester AA now that they've got their annual rebate program on again.
Old May 19, 2012, 07:58 AM   #12
LSnSC

I like to shoot Gun Clubs cause I can reload the empties multiple times.

Lately Ive been shooting Federal Wounded Warrior shells. Its a good cause, and they support our states youth shooting foundation. They allow us to buy the Top Gun shells direct at a significant discount. Midway USA has also been a big supporter of our youth shooting programs. They gave us a very large grant the last two years and have had representatives at ou state shoots.

Ive had problems with the Estates cyling in some autos. They hang up on the edge of the shell.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:05 AM   #13
.300 Weatherby Mag

Now, I generally shoot Estate Supersport Target in my 12 gauges... All of my guns like it and it patterns well in my target guns... I also like gun club, but I have a hard time finding it consistently locally.. Even Bass Pro is spotty on quantity and the bring it in by the pallet load... I like how federal loads perform but unless you buy the high end target loads they are very dirty....

I really need to get a 12 gauge reloader........
Old May 19, 2012, 06:58 PM   #14
Freds484

Not to be a wise guy but don't like either one.
I like Winchester AA Super Sport or Remington Premier Nitro Sporting Clays.
The have 1 1/8 ounce of shot and travel at 1300 FPS.
They are not for everybody a little more expensive.
People at the range pick them up 1,2,3, because they say they reload great.
I do not reload.
I also find they burn way cleaner than all the other shells I used.
Clean up is a breeze when I get home.
Fred
Old May 19, 2012, 07:49 PM   #15
wildfan

I don't recall when my club started stocking Gun Clubs, must have been about 15 years ago. But we stocked Gun Club, AA, and Federals. I had shot the Federals up to that point because I'm a cheapskate and they were $1 cheaper a box than the AA. Then the Gun Clubs were the same price as the Federals so I tried them. They seemed to me to have a bit more speed, and I shot better with them. So I continued with them, and won Top Gun at our club two of the next three years before I moved, had kids, and stopped shooting league regularly.

I like Gun Clubs though.
Old May 20, 2012, 04:11 PM   #16
darkgael

About Fed and GC and cleanliness....can't say that I have noticed a difference.
Durability.....I surely get more than four reloads from GC and Fed hulls...easily 8 to 10. I do, however, prefer the STS/Nitro hulls.
I am loading for 16 yard singles and using one ounce of shot at 1200-1250 fps.
Pete
Old May 21, 2012, 12:52 PM   #17
zippy13

About clean burning shells:
My mentor suggested a new recipe for my .410 Skeet loads. It was the same load used by the world champ. I tried the load and it worked great, but it was a little dirty. When I mentioned this to my mentor, he replied, "Do you want a cleaner gun or higher scores?"
Old May 21, 2012, 09:56 PM   #18
darkgael

load

Quote:
My mentor suggested a new recipe for my .410 Skeet loads. It was the same load used by the world champ. I tried the load and it worked great, but it was a little dirty. When I mentioned this to my mentor, he replied, "Do you want a cleaner gun or higher scores?"
Care to share?
I am loading 14 grains of 2400 under 11/16ths ounce in my 3" hulls and 12 grains of 410 under 1/2oz, Remington 2 1/2" hulls. Never thought of either as dirty.
Pete
Old May 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #19
zippy13

Pete, my friend, see PM