The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2010, 08:15 PM   #1
ferrarif1fan

how many grains of #2 for 9mm with 115 FMJ

Just got my Lee Pro1000 press in for reloading 9mm. The dies came with reloading data, but not for the Accurate #2 powder and 115 grain FMJ bullets I have. I'd appreciate it if a couple of you with reloading books could check to see if yours lists the specs for this combo. I thought I remember seeing that the 9mm round required 4.4 grains of #2 with a 115 FMJ bullet. Once I have the correct data, I intend to load about 10-15 rounds about 10% below max and test them before making any more rounds.

TIA!

Robert
Old February 3, 2010, 08:21 PM   #2
jepp2

You can download the AA Reloading Manual here:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/reloading.htm

Recognize asking for load data without knowing the bullet and COL is potentially dangerous. The 9mm is very susceptible to high pressure with minor changes in length. And #2 is a fast burning powder.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:41 PM   #3
dsv424

My Hornady book says 115g FMJ RN AA2 4.3 to 5.1 with an OAL of 1.100"
The Lee book states AA2 4.0 to 4.4 with an OAL of 1.100
In the small booklet I have Accurate powders states 115g Hornady FMJ, AA2 4.0 to 4.4 with an OAL of 1.095"
Hope this helps.
Old February 3, 2010, 08:43 PM   #4
oakfloor

AA# 5 may be a better choice in the AA powder line, it worked great in my 9MM and 115 FMJ's. First time I sand bagged my Sig 226, the first four shots were touching at 25 yards.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:35 PM   #5
jbrown13

I use AA #2 in 9mm with a 115 FMJ Montana Gold bullet. Forget the Lee loads, the max load of 4.4 grains in the Lee book wouldn't reliably cycle my stock Glock 17. I had to get to 4.6 grains before I felt comfortable the Glock would cycle every time. I suggest you start there and work up in 0.1 grain increments until you find the most accurate load in your pistol. Accurate lists max. load at 5.2 grains w/ 115 grain JHP bullet, so don't go past there. You will probably find the most accurate load at 90% to 95% of max. As far as OAL, I use 1.130" for the MG bullets in my Glock. Use the above data at your own risk. Always start low and work up loads, checking for pressure signs. YMMV.
Old February 3, 2010, 10:36 PM   #6
ferrarif1fan

Thanks for the replies...also, I do know the bullet

I already have the bullets. I'm going to be loading Remington 115 Gr. FMJ RN bullets. All I was looking for was a standard RN target bullet from either Remington or Winchester. I got a great deal on these Remingtons from Cabelas when they had a 20% off special for orders over $100. With shipping, I think I got the bullets for about $.085 each.

If this changes any of the answers you've already supplied, please post a revision.

One other thing to Jepp2, I had already reviewed the data at the Accurate website. Unless I'm missing it, they don't even list one single Remington bullet in their 9mm data. I was pretty surprised that the number of recipes for 9mm was so sparse.

Thanks again for the help!

Robert
Old February 3, 2010, 11:59 PM   #7
PCJim

ferrarif1fan, you can use the starting load data for any brand/make 115gr FMJ bullet and begin your work up from there. As FMJs are "relatively" standard in shape, use the COL/OAL provided by the recipe you decide to use. Test a couple of finished rounds in your barrel's chamber for proper fit before loading a couple thousand of them.
Old February 4, 2010, 12:48 AM   #8
colospgsAVID

OP,
Whatcha shooting these out of? I'd say AA#2 is fast for all but the shortest barreled 9mm's. Even with "only" 115 grain bullets. Read the label and it is pretty clear. I built some 90 grain XTP's, with AA#2, in 9mm with pretty good luck. With the regular 124 grain XTP's and Berry's I plink with I prefer 700x. It's cheap and available in my area.(pretty low charges too) For some more serious defense loads that I make more accurately I use my coveted Power Pistol.(lots of velocity and very accurate) For 147 grain bullets I have some Herco that I have not yet tried. Seems like a pretty good match to me.? Save the AA#2 for when you get a pocket .380. If you can find it get some, Win231, Power Pistol, unique or universal. If not try shotgun powders, they've worked good for me.

EDIT: I see you are attempting to use only info from die load tables. Do yourself a favor and get a reloading manual!(or a few) I would take every recipe found on the net with a TABLESPOON of salt. If you know a personally reliable source go with it... If not...Work up from the manual. +1 to PCJim and oakfloor.

Last edited by colospgsAVID; February 4, 2010 at 01:39 AM.