The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 30, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Some guys have all the luck.

I've been out all weekend, and haven't seen squat. My son comes out to the lease after work at around 2:00 in the afternoon, drives his 4-wheeler to his stand, and by 2:30 is loading an 8 point ,128lb. buck up and is going home. I hadn't even had time to fix myself a sandwich.
Old October 30, 2006, 11:14 AM   #2
castnblast

I feel your pain...

I worked year round to get my bow stand in prime hunting condition. Foodplot, Water, everything. Kept limbs trimmed, fenced out the cattle, etc. The "other" guys on the lease come out, set up feeders a 2 weeks into archery season, shoot two hogs and a giant 8 pointer this past weekend. I had two bucks fighting like mad...in the dark, in the early hours of the morning. Heard em, couldn't see em. They were in the brush about 30 yds left, but it is so thick along that fence line I couldn't see through it. I'm hunting that stand again Sat. Morning, and will be chainsawing some cuts through it afterwords. Yes, I feel your pain man...Some guys just have to work harder...some by choice...some not.
Old October 30, 2006, 01:02 PM   #3
P-990

I hear you WBB. I've hunted for years in primo locations and never scored. Others I know can just walk in and walk out in an hour dragging a buck. Go figure!

This morning, still hunting through some dense, dense hemlocks and rhodendron and laurel, I came up with a grand total of 6 turkeys, 1 porquipine, a bunch of red squirrels, two chipmunks, countless song birds and one very, very chattery grey squirrel. Now if only I could find the deer that I know are in there!

(The turkeys and porky made my morning though, and I figure it wasn't bad for 2 hours worth of work.)

Now if only the water levels would go down so I can get across some of the streams into the really, really good cover.

I guess we just need patience; our time will come. (At least, that's what I keep telling myself, as much as my g-f says she'll put all of her money on the deer. )
Old October 30, 2006, 03:38 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Sickening, ain't it, guys? I know the feeling. Tons of preparation, and I'm skunked the first weekend of ML. Well it happens. That's why it's hunting, not "ranching" or "shooting".