The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old November 8, 2007, 08:28 AM   #1
saltydog452

The 'remember me' option at sign in.

How do I get the 'remember me' option to engage at sign in?

Thanks,

salty
Old November 8, 2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

First off, make sure you have cookies enabled. I've found that with Explorer, the highest you can set your privacy settings is medium high.

Then, when you're logging on, simply click on the little box next to the "remember me" option.

Now, as long as you don't delete your cookies, you'll be able to go to other sites, or even shut down, and when you return to TFL, you'll already be logged in.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 13, 2007, 12:24 PM   #3
saltydog452

Thanks cap'n.

Setting is 'Med-High'...No cookies restricted or blocked...Still can not engage the 'remember me' function.

Gremlins in my 'puter maybe?

Thanks,

salty.
Old November 13, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

That's odd.

What are the symptoms assuming the check box is checked?
Old November 13, 2007, 02:22 PM   #5
jdc1244

Firewall setting, anti-spyware/adware, auto filters and cleaners can prevent the auto login from working. If you’re using IE get rid of it. Download FireFox and that and many problems will go away.
Old November 13, 2007, 03:13 PM   #6
saltydog452

The 'remember me' function works on the High Road and 1911Org, but not here.

No 'symptoms' as such, I sign in, check the box, get logged in, read, sign out, display says all cookies cleared, etc.

Next log in, still no 'remember me'.

Its no big deal, I was just curious if there was a specific procedure for this site that I should follow.

Thanks,

salty.
Old November 13, 2007, 03:21 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
read, sign out, display says all cookies cleared, etc.
Ah HA! There's your problem! When you sign out at TFL, the cookies (including your "remember me" cookie) are indeed cleared.

Next time, don't log out; just leave TFL and go to another site, or shut down, etc.

With "remember me" enabled, TFL will automatically log you out after so many minutes of inactivity (can't remember how long, 20 minutes?), but when you return here, your remember me cookie will automatically log you back in.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old November 13, 2007, 05:16 PM   #8
saltydog452

Got it. Thanks.

salty.
Old November 13, 2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I was just about to make the exact same quote Charlie did including highlighting the "sign out" part.

If you sign out here or THR, you automatically switch off the remember me function.
Old November 13, 2007, 05:36 PM   #10
saltydog452

THR and 1911Org allows me to sign out and re-enter using ther remember me function.

I just thought that it was proper to sign out when leaving a site...seems that it'd save the guys paying the bills a few cents and some bandwidth.

Thanks for the responses,

salty.
Old November 13, 2007, 06:15 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

Ah! Actually it's not that THR allows you to sign out and come back remembered, you have a residual cookie that is allowing you to come back without signing in. The same would happen here if you had an extra TFL cookie. Delete all of your THR cookies manually and I'll bet you won't see the same thing.