The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2018, 11:07 AM   #1
50 shooter

Wheeler F.A.T. Wrench.

Anyone using this?

I just picked one up, 15-110 inch pound digital model. Seems like a good torque wrench, I needed one of my own so that I didn't have to wait to borrow a friends.
No time for rearranging.
Old May 18, 2018, 11:37 AM   #2
weblance

I have one. It does a great job. I was having accuracy issues with my Ruger American 22WMR rifle, and after scouring the interweb, I found out the American Rimfire is pretty sensitive to torque values on the bedding blocks. I experimented a bit, found a torque setting my American likes, and now my rifle shoots like it should
Old May 18, 2018, 08:03 PM   #3
Scorch

Quick and easy to use. I keep it hanging right above the bench so it's right there is I need it. Nice that it uses the same bits as the screwdrver set I have.
Old May 18, 2018, 08:15 PM   #4
std7mag

I have the pre digital one.
Use the heck out of it.
Goes to the range with me too.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 19, 2018, 06:37 AM   #5
muzzleblast...

I like the old model too. No need to upgrade IMO.
Old May 19, 2018, 07:54 AM   #6
Nathan

I really like mine....old model. Vital for scope mounting and other gun screw tightening.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:42 AM   #7
J.G. Terry

How to regulate?

Fat Wrench: Hope this is a simple question overlooked in the instructions. At this point I accept as an act of faith the non-digital fat wrench is accurate. Maybe this is the wrong term. Question: How to you make sure setting are correct with the original Fat Wrench.? Wiggle room?

Last edited by J.G. Terry; May 19, 2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old May 19, 2018, 06:04 PM   #8
sparkyv

J.G., the same validation issue exists for the digital model as it does for the analog one. And I look forward to a response, as I too, would like to validate mine. I would expect +/- 5% tolerance is acceptable.
Old May 20, 2018, 08:38 AM   #9
F. Guffey

https://ads.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...20fat%20wrench

For the newbies: There is no S.A.T. Wrench, the F stands for firearms and the rest of it identifies the F. wrench as an accurate torque wrench.

There is a torque tester machine for sale on Craig's list for the area. It is going for about $500.00 and if your wondering it has been listed for close to 6 months.

F. Guffey
Old May 20, 2018, 11:38 AM   #10
Unclenick
Staff

J.G. Terry,

Mine (manual) came with a calibration sheet showing how far off it was at several settings. Not very. Over time, the spring that adjusts the torque setting can take a set (always store the wrench at its lowest setting to minimize this effect) and you have to calibrate it to correct that.

It is not worth buying your own torque measuring instrument unless you intend to get into the business, but if you have a large maintenance shop or engine rebuilding shop in your area they may well have one they would let you use. Otherwise, most big cities will have calibration lab services available, though they may charge you more than the wrench is worth to do the job.

The simplest way is to check calibration of the unit yourself and list and live with any error you find, allowing for it by setting the wrench to correct the error. With a wrench whose handle isn't at 90° to the work, this takes a little ingenuity. There are a number of examples of how to check calibration of a right angle torque wrench on line.

I haven't checked mine at this point, but they say good practice is to check once a year, so I probably should. The way I would proceed is to drill a hole a little smaller than the handle through a 2×4, then split it on my bandsaw. I would use that to grip the wrench horizontally in my vice. I would take about a 21" length of flat steel stock, find the center of gravity on it and drill a hole there and square it with files for a square drive adapter on the wrench. 10" from each side of the hole I would drill holes for S hooks to hang a weight from. I would put one on each side to maintain balance. I would put the square drive adapter in the wrench and the flat stock on the wrench, then adjust the wrench position so the flat stock was horizontal. Since the calibration is in inch-lbs, with 10" of space from the wrench center, 1 lb of total weight hanging from one hook will produce 10 in-lbs of torque. Set the wrench on 10 in-lb. Hang a light plastic container that will hold a pound of water off the hook on the side that will turn the wrench clockwise looking at the flat or counterclockwise looking from the handle end of the wrench. There is no need to tare or counterbalance the weight of this container because its weight will be counted as taking part in the calibration. Now slowly fill the container with water until you just hear the wrench click. Remove the container and get its weight in pounds on an accurate scale. Multiply by 10 to get in-lbs of torque.

Repeat at the 20 in-lb setting, etc. Obviously, you will need a bigger water container for the 5 lbs needed to calibrate 50 in-lbs than you did for 10 in-lbs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 20, 2018, 11:38 AM   #11
50 shooter

I'll have to read the data sheet to be sure but I think the accuracy was rated at +/- 3%.

I guess you could always send it back and have them test/recalibrate it.
No time for rearranging.
Old May 20, 2018, 02:04 PM   #12
Unclenick
Staff

What I got wasn't just a rating. It was an actual calibration certificate with a table showing how many in-lbs of torque my particular copy of the wrench actually produced at several different settings.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 20, 2018, 08:45 PM   #13
J.G. Terry

Thanks

Unclenick: Thanks for the hundredth time!