The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 18, 2018, 10:48 AM   #51
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
Ditto that!
I am not a Glock Fan. Great Guns, for sure, but personally just do not like how they fit my hand. And as far as triggers go, for CCW I do not want, nor need a glass break light crisp trigger which seems so popular in the last few years. Yes, if I shoot just for target bulls eye. No I do not need one in a combat carry gun for fast action shooting.
As far as the Px4, well I do not have one. But for six months searched for another gun to replace my LC9S which I have owned two of them for years. And as a range rat have shot thousands of rounds out of. I wanted to move away from the 4lb light trigger of the Ruger. The Nano has a striker fired/double action that is perfect for what I was looking for and the shooting characteristics greatly out performed my LC9S.
In my search I shot just about everything out there. I have a lot of regular range buddies in my club so it was not hard to do this. I finally settled n the Nano and have quickly become a huge fan.
I do have a Ruger SR9C which IMO is one of the best semi's Ruger has made. It would be interesting to compare the PX4 and the SR9C . I think it would be a great contest. The SR9C is a lovely shooter but if the PX4 shoots as well as the smaller Nano, then it would be a great contest.
But just like any gun, fit will be like a great pair of shoes. One size does not fit all. You really have to shoot all the guns to fully find what makes that perfect fit.
All of these mentioned are fine firearms. Quality, reliability, recoil management, triggers etc go into the equation.
The irony here is that in the six years since I wrote that comment I now carry a Glock much of the time. That said my view of different pistols working for different people still holds. I also believe you can't find out what does work for you until you try it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 19, 2018, 12:58 AM   #52
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Beretta sells their "Compact Carry" model which is an $800 version that addresses all of the above issues through aftermarket add-ons and mods. Not nearly worth that price in my opinion.
I agree. The only upgrade I'd call crucial in that package is the low-profile levers and mag release. The kit to convert the basic model is just under $75. That and a new gun can probably be had for under $600. I really wish Beretta would just make the flush-fitting controls stock.

The enormous stock levers are a big part of perceptions like the following...

Quote:
The Storm's upper half is bulky.
Old May 19, 2018, 10:02 AM   #53
TailGator

Quote:
I really wish Beretta would just make the flush-fitting controls stock.
Hear, hear. Baffling to me that they obviously recognize the problem, but charge an additional premium for its correction.
Old May 19, 2018, 11:28 AM   #54
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
I really wish Beretta would just make the flush-fitting controls stock.

Problem with that is that those controls are only available as a G setup (having them on my old .45, I wouldn’t want them in a F model).

While you’ll get a majority of people on here that love the G models, a gun forum isn’t necessarily the best place to gauge what the civilian market wants. Beretta likely did research and found that offering Stealth controls on a specific carry model is likely the best bet (on the S/C, they use the slide release from that package). A lot of people, who aren’t into firearms the same as some of us, prefer a manual safety on a gun. Try explaining to a non-gun guy that a Glock doesn’t have a safety...

For the Stealth controls, I actually liked them on that .45... which was supposed to be a carry gun. Gun was too large, with crappy magazine options (9 or 10 rounds), so I got rid of it when I picked up my Glock 30S. Gun was completely done in CPII, similar to NP3. No issues decocking, but as I mentioned, no way could they be done in F. The little amount of profile is angled so you can get downward leverage to decock the gun. You’d have to increase the profile, probably noticeably, to allow the same angle for taking it off safe.

They do have the 92 style, so people now have three options (standard being the third). 50% more than when I first started getting into the PX4... and I believe there is another one coming out (check Pistol-Forum for that). I run the standard ones on my full-size 9mm... just converted to G. No issues with them, but I don’t carry it (more of a range gun, which might be moving into my girlfriend’s hands... being she is a lefty, and converts easier than other guns I own).