The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 9, 2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 19 Gen 5

Does anyone here have a Glock Gen 5? How do you like it?

I'm seeing a lot of great stuff and then not so great stuff. Which is always what happens when a new pistol comes out.

And let's face it, they really haven't done anything too innovative in a very long time because they don't really have to. And I get that.

Anyway, what's your $0.02?
Old May 9, 2018, 10:06 PM   #2
EEL92fs

The biggest thing is if you close your eyes and shoot each of them the only big thing I noticed was the factory trigger on the 5 is better. I did not notice anything different with the finger groves gone.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:14 PM   #3
Tactical Jackalope

I agree that the Gen 5 trigger is better. That's saying a lot from me. I'm a spoiled DA / SA kinda guy. The single action on my MK25 with the SRT and Gray Guns flat trigger is amazing.

So, the Gen 5 trigger isn't bad at all.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:20 PM   #4
WannabeMiculek

I like mine. Glock might not have brought much to the table in terms of "innovation" but they did deliver a great shooting pistol with subtle yet meaningful improvements. I have a 19 and enjoy the straight grip without the finger grooves, that combined with the flared magwell and changeable backstraps, is a recipe for a solid handgun.
I have mixed feelings on the trigger after a thousand or so rounds it has gotten somewhat better, still not as good as a CZ or VP9, but a good trigger all the same.
So overall it is a good handgun, not life changing, but plain and simple a good handgun.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:28 PM   #5
JDBerg

I had a chance to shoot a Gen5 19 a few times and really I like it a lot, but I like my Gen3 19 a lot also. If I didn’t have the Gen3 I’d get the Gen5, I really like that stock Gen5 trigger. But I don’t see the point in replacing the Gen3 with the Gen5 and I don’t want to add the Gen5 to the menagerie. There are other pistols on my wish list right now.
Old May 10, 2018, 06:54 AM   #6
TunnelRat

I have 2000 rds through mine so far. I like it. The lack of finger grooves seems to give me less "Glock knuckle". I also do believe I can notice the difference in accuracy of the barrels as compared to previous generations. The finish is excellent. The internal changes seem to have made a number of parts more robust, notably the slide stop. I do think it's an overall improvement.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 10, 2018, 11:09 PM   #7
batmann

Regardless of the generation, mine is a Gen 3, the Glock just works.
Old May 11, 2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Lohman446

I bought one after a lot of debate and trying to find something else. For the form factor, the simplicity of use, and maintenance the only thing that really ended up competing with the Glock 19 gen 5 was the Glock 19 gen 4 and every other iteration of the Glock 19 before it. Yes I did look at the CZ P07 and it was VERY close - I liked the Glock more and I wanted to not like the Glock.

My thoughts are this. It is a Glock 19 with all the good and bad that comes with every Glock 19. Soulless thing that will probably never win a bullseye competition but I have in the 1300 to 1500 range of rounds through mine without any failures that were not intentionally induced.

The thing is I think that would probably hold true for any other generation of Glock 19 I had bought. I don't think its special compared to previous generations it is just what I bought. If I was buying another today it would be the same one simply because I like buying the "cutting edge" (haha, its not but it is for Glock) and I like consistency.

My wife is working towards claiming mine and if she does I will replace it with the same thing (or buy her her own). It does what it is supposed to do.
Old May 11, 2018, 01:38 PM   #9
Unconventional

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEL92fs View Post
...if you close your eyes and shoot...
When it's the middle of the day and you want some night/low light training time...
Old May 11, 2018, 08:39 PM   #10
Dane17

I just got the 19x. Couldnt be happier with it.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:33 PM   #11
Doc Holliday 1950

This might sound weird. I have a slightly smaller hand and really like the groves in the G19 gen 4. This is a really big deal for me. the 5 model has internal upgrades, but for me they just don't do it for me. I'll stick with the G19 gen 4. I
learned how not to get the Glock knuckle and the G19 gen 4 grip is perfect for me.

Doc
Old May 12, 2018, 11:13 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Glock knuckle isn't really something you "learn" to avoid, IMO. It affects different people differently and certain grip methods can help. I can tell you that by the end of my last 800 -1000 rd 2 day class where we were doing dozens of draws the 3 other people shooting Glocks plus me all had tape wrapped around that knuckle of the middle finger. This has been the case multiple times. That said if it doesn't affect you it totally makes sense not to care. I still have Gen 3 Glocks. I don't feel motivated to trade them in for more Gen 5s. I do like my Gen 5 more, but it doesn't make my other Glocks obsolete.

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 12, 2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old May 13, 2018, 01:23 AM   #13
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I can tell you that by the end of my last 800 -1000 rd 2 day class where we were doing dozens of draws the 3 other people shooting Glocks plus me all had tape wrapped around that knuckle of the middle finger.
Most handguns rub against the knuckle of my strong-hand middle finger when I shoot them, or even during dry fire. I haven't really noticed that it's a Glock thing, it's mostly just a pistol thing.

Anyway, I've built up a protective callous on that spot so it's a non-issue for me, at least.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Callous_small.jpg (51.5 KB, 652 views)
Old May 13, 2018, 08:59 AM   #14
TunnelRat

Right, I still get it with most pistols, but it's more noticeable for me on Glocks and seems to happen faster (in thinking about it the P320 is one where it doesn't seem to happen and my M&P is less than the Glock). I have soft hands and blister before I callous (I'm a chairborne ranger). If I don't use the tape the blister pops and it's not so fun. A normal range day and I don't notice it at all. As always YMMV.

Old May 13, 2018, 09:20 AM   #15
str8tshot

I have a few Glocks and hate liking them all. The Gen5 19 has taken a prominent role for me. The one thing I find curious is the chamber. My chamber has the same freebies as my KKM barrel, so I use the same COL. My son’s freeborn is 0.001” shorter so I have to load deeper to cycle in his gun. I am not sure why they are different, and Glock won’t give specs and tolerances. I spent a few hours digging into the issue before I found a solution that works for all my guns. This is the first time I have seen an issue with Glock’s being picky. It must be how CZ shooters feel when loading for multiple guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 13, 2018, 06:25 PM   #16
t4terrific

How has the word “innovative” become a thing?

The Glock 19 is the size and capacity that everyone’s trying to mimic. It’s accurate, reliable, and designed for carry and abuse.

It doesn’t look “tactical”, pretty, or have grips that can be swapped to match your man bag or shoes each day.

Really, all the jazz that Sig p320 and HK VP9 have gizmoed up only serve to hide the fact that they still are too big and no better, when compared to the Glock 19.
Old May 15, 2018, 08:26 PM   #17
jr24

I still wonder what folk expect for "innovative" in a polymer pistol these days. All the new ones just monkey with the grip or trigger a bit and call it innovation. Wow, its still a gun thats trying to be a Glock (for the most part) and usually not cracking their market share.

That said, the Gen 5 changes are mostly good, the trigger is definitely better and the finish does seem to be better. Losing the finger grooves is pretty cool too... BUT.

With the Gen 5 19, the front strap cutout is just awful for me. It is perfectly placed to be a horrible fit for my hands and i dislike it intensely. I'd have a Gen 5 19 already if not for the cutout, as the grooves on the 3 and 4 don't fit my hands.

Now, the 19X. Well that is a fantastic pistol, has been my EDC for 3 months or so and I haven't had the "its been a few months, maybe I need to change my EDC or buy a new one" syndrome yet. Big time winner for me.
Old May 15, 2018, 09:16 PM   #18
Lohman446

Your first two sentences and last paragraph amuse me together
Old June 9, 2018, 10:11 PM   #19
hogwiley

I haven't handled a Gen 5 yet, but I kind of see removing the finger grooves as a step backward, for me anyway.

The finger grooves came about in large part because cops were complaining about the gen 2 glock grip being too slick when their hands were sweaty or the gun grip was wet. Some ADs were even blamed on this, I assume with cops fumbling around to get a good grip or trying to regrab the gun after it slipped. I read stories of police recruits launching their glocks downrange or in the air when trying to draw on a hot humid day. The finger grooves enable you to get a secure grip quickly, especially when drawing. consequently the number of ADs supposedly decreased when the gen 3 came out.

Its possible the more aggressive texture of the gen4 and 5 grip alone will have alleviated this, but I still think the gen 4 is one of the easiest guns to get a proper grip on when drawing quickly, mostly due to the finger grooves. It was lightyears ahead of my otherwise perfect p228 in that regard.
Old June 9, 2018, 11:33 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
The finger grooves came about in large part because cops were complaining about the gen 2 glock grip being too slick when their hands were sweaty or the gun grip was wet. Some ADs were even blamed on this, I assume with cops fumbling around to get a good grip or trying to regrab the gun after it slipped. I read stories of police recruits launching their glocks downrange or in the air when trying to draw on a hot humid day. The finger grooves enable you to get a secure grip quickly, especially when drawing. consequently the number of ADs supposedly decreased when the gen 3 came out.
I've shot a Gen 2 a fair amount. It wasn't as grippy as the offerings now, but it's not what I'd call slippery. In my experience when it comes to police failures the equipment is often an easy fallguy.

Having owned Gen 3s, 4s, and 5s I don't feel the Gen 5 lacks in grip.

Last edited by TunnelRat; June 10, 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old June 10, 2018, 12:09 AM   #21
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwiley View Post
I haven't handled a Gen 5 yet, but I kind of see removing the finger grooves as a step backward, for me anyway. .
For me, the finger grooves on the Glock Gen 3 and 4 simply don't fit my hand. My finger either get forced uncomfortably into the grooves or ride uncomfortably on top of them.

This is the main reason I've held onto my Gen 2 Glock 17 and 21 all these years. I've been looking for an old Gen 2 Glock 19 but now I can just buy a Gen 5. I'm just hoping for a Gen 5 Glock 26 now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old June 10, 2018, 04:28 PM   #22
Schlitz 45

I had zero experience owning a Glock or any striker fired pistols & very limited shooting time with any of them, always been a 1911 guy. Wanting to experiment a little I bought a gen 5 19 with the Ameri-glo sight option (+ $35 well spent) & I’ve grown quite fond of it. Easy to strip & clean, the trigger’s fine, very accurate, 30 ounces loaded with 16 rounds of 124 gr JHP’s make it easy to carry. It just works.
Most of the bad reviews were from folks that had a lot of Glock experience & preferred their gen 2/3/4 but just coming on board with no Glock baggage I’m happy I gave ‘em a try.
Old June 10, 2018, 09:32 PM   #23
hogwiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
For me, the finger grooves on the Glock Gen 3 and 4 simply don't fit my hand. My finger either get forced uncomfortably into the grooves or ride uncomfortably on top of them.

This is the main reason I've held onto my Gen 2 Glock 17 and 21 all these years. I've been looking for an old Gen 2 Glock 19 but now I can just buy a Gen 5. I'm just hoping for a Gen 5 Glock 26 now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
I understand. I think its a good thing glocks giving people the option of not having finger grooves, since they don't fit some people. As long as they keep making the gen 4 I guess its not an issue for those of us that like them.

I don't care about or don't like any of the other changes on the gen 5 anyway. A couple of the changes were just plain dumb to me, mainly the flared mag well and bottom grip cutout. They also managed to make an already ugly gun even uglier.
Old June 10, 2018, 11:37 PM   #24
KY_blkout

The finger grooves work for me on my gen 4 19. I have yet to shoot a gen 5 but I keep waiting for the 19x to come out in other colors other than coyote.