The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 17, 2018, 07:11 AM   #1
chasep255

Brass ramrod for 2 band Enfield.

I just got a brass ramrod for my pedersoli 2 band 1858 enfield. Currently it holds the steel rod which came with the gun very tightly. However the brass rod is loose when inserted into the gun. It will fall out if I hold the gun upside down. I measured the diameter of the rod and I got 0.25" whereas my steel rod was 0.28" in diameter. I then tried putting a little bend into the brass rod but it did not help much. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can make it fit tighter? Or does anyone know somewhere I can get a thicker brass rod. I bought this one from S&S Firearms. Also does anyone just use the steel ramrod? I just don't want to damage the bore since my gun shoots really well.
Old March 17, 2018, 07:15 AM   #2
Hawg

I've been using the steel rod for my P53 Enfield since 1980. I use the steel rod in an original also.
Old March 17, 2018, 03:57 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Originals had steel rod.

If you insist on using that brass rod, you might want to hide a spring in the stock to provide tension to hold the rod. Something like this (but a flatter):

Old March 19, 2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Why loose? That's the troublesome difference in measure between millimeter and standard U.S.measure.

If there were a guide like drilling for the rod out front? But there isn't. Just a channel according to what I see on UTube. So there aren't many options is there. What ever device used to pinch the new rod needs to be made of brass or copper so to not scar your new brass__ I would suggest.

Could focus on the wood entrance.
If Staff 'er Gary could get his pix up right. Perhaps we all could see what he did? Gary is that pix of your kitchen ceiling? lol
Old March 19, 2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Hawg

The pic is too big but if you scroll to the right you will see it. It's a curved spring and I assume the rod rides against the smooth side.
Old March 30, 2018, 10:07 AM   #6
maillemaker

I have the same problem with my N-SSA competition guns. On all my rifled competition guns I have replaced the steel ramrod with a brass one, to save wear on the barrel.

On my Euroarms P53 the brass ramrod will fall out like yours. On my Richmond Carbine it stays put.

You may be able to adjust the spoon as was suggested above to apply more tension to it. I haven't bothered - in competition I place my ramrod on a bayonet stuck in the ground and the ramrod is only in the gun when it is not being used (in a case or on its rack).

Steve