The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 14, 2017, 09:50 AM   #1
sixgunnin

Sig Arm Brace Accuracy?

Is it possible to shoot accurately with a Sig arm brace on a AR 15? How would a shorty AR work for a hunting rifle?
Old July 14, 2017, 09:56 AM   #2
CalmerThanYou

Depends, Are you asking if it is useful and accurate as an arm brace, attached and fired from the forearm. Or as a shouldered or cheek welded stock?
Old July 14, 2017, 10:10 AM   #3
AK103K

I use the Shockwave braces and find they shoot the same as a stock. One advantage to the Shockwaves is, they have detents in the tube and the brace is locked in place at a suitable position. It doesnt slide or rotate.

Now that they have ruled that they can be shouldered, I dont understand why the SBR thing doesnt go away, and why you cant use a stock. Makes no sense. Not that a lot of what the ATF comes up with makes any anyway.

From a rest at 100 yards with a 4moa dot.....

Old July 14, 2017, 10:36 AM   #4
CDR_Glock

I find the Sig brace to be less stable than the Shockwave. I'd never strap it to my forearm. It would waste too much time.

I have learned to shoot without shouldering it, but shouldering it would be a lot more stable for shooting while standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old July 14, 2017, 10:44 AM   #5
stagpanther

I can easily shoot 1.5 to 2 MOA consistently with the Sig brace (and 3x dot or scope) without any kind of shoulder weld--you just need to practice (big surprise). The one huge disadvantage which I seriously question is that it is ridiculously over-priced for a hunk of rubber.
Old July 14, 2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Chainsaw.

Have the Kak brace on my AR9. It shoots great, but again thats one that locks dowm, unlike the Sig brace.

And FYI, ATF did not give the green light to sholder braces, they simply retracted the statement that one is "manufacturing" an SBR by INCIDENTAL shouldering a braced gun. So in their convoluted view it is still illegal to purposely shoulder a brace. But they wont come after you if you "accidentally" touch it to your shoulder. Make sense? No. Didnt think so.
Old July 14, 2017, 12:54 PM   #7
9x19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
I can easily shoot 1.5 to 2 MOA consistently with the Sig brace (and 3x dot or scope) without any kind of shoulder weld--you just need to practice (big surprise). The one huge disadvantage which I seriously question is that it is ridiculously over-priced for a hunk of rubber.
When I built my SBRs, the Sig brace was the only brace on the market, at $179 plus tax... my tax stamp only cost a few dollars more and no worries about changing rulings... or other silly restrictions like vertical fore-grips.
Old July 14, 2017, 05:12 PM   #8
rickyrick

Using the braces strapped to the arm is awkward. Using a brace as a "kick-stand" for your rifl... er, I mean pistol is the best application I've found for a tube brace.
I was surprised at how accurately you can shoot with just a cheek weld without anything touching your shoulder.
Scope or sight height is a big factor. Get it right and everything aligns naturally.

I find absolute co-witness height idea for me
Old July 16, 2017, 07:52 AM   #9
Mobuck

The mechanical accuracy is adequate for use at moderate ranges. The optic is the limiting factor for accuracy in most cases.
The effectiveness of the very marginal .223 from a shorter barrel is even more questionable.
I'll be using an 11.5" .223 AR pistol with a KAK and suppressor in December(?) "alternative methods" season but under very carefully orchestrated scenarios.
Old July 16, 2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Fishbed77

Quote:
Now that they have ruled that they can be shouldered, I dont understand why the SBR thing doesnt go away, and why you cant use a stock. Makes no sense. Not that a lot of what the ATF comes up with makes any anyway.
The ATF didn't come up with the NFA rules regarding short-barreled rifles.

Congress did.

And the only way to fix this is to make our elected officials (both Democrat and Republicans) know that they will lose our votes if they do not work to eliminate this unconstitutional law.
Old July 16, 2017, 03:33 PM   #11
rickyrick

I want to add that the AR pistol is a little guy that you approach with a lot of doubt. Once you start shooting it, your opinion of it changes pretty quickly. Seems like a novelty item that exists for the sake of novelty. It turns into a novelty item that can be useful and effective as well. I would definitely use one to hunt at less than 100yds, but would probably want the barrel over 10" for .223.

Not as good as a stocked weapon, but I'm positive that it can be fired more accurately than a traditional handgun for sure.

Last edited by rickyrick; July 16, 2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old July 16, 2017, 04:11 PM   #12
AK103K

Quote:
The ATF didn't come up with the NFA rules regarding short-barreled rifles.
I understand that. But they are obviously making determinations as to what a SBR is or isnt, with their brace rulings.

Quote:
And the only way to fix this is to make our elected officials (both Democrat and Republicans) know that they will lose our votes if they do not work to eliminate this unconstitutional law.
I dont think they are too worried or impressed.

What needs to be done here is, we fire all of them, and replace them with 535 more Trumps.

Quote:
I want to add that the AR pistol is a little guy that you approach with a lot of doubt. Once you start shooting it, your opinion of it changes pretty quickly.
I agree. I put off getting one for a long time. Now I couldnt imagine being without at least a couple.